The border on art papers, pro 9000

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Same thing on the trailing edge of the paper, except that it is worse if you are doing a borderless print because the paper has gone past the rollers and is working on the spiked "wheels" that are less reliable.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks all for the explanations it's very helpful. So in a way Canon making us use the white border on fine art paper seems justified. From the reviewers not liking this tail wagging the dog type scenario with the two Canon pro 9 printers I take it that Epson doesn't make this decision for us.
I will now print with the white borders & be proud of it:)
Thanks for link Fotofreek
Thanks again everyone.
Regards Rod

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've just had some sort of success printing my Canon fine art premium matte paper at A3+ with only a 15mm (1/2") border. I used the Fine art Photo Rag setting & profile instead of the Fine art premium matte & got as good a print to my eye as using the Premium matte profile. The warnings about the print head contacting the paper looks valid as there was a smudge of ink on the right side of the leading edge so I might try for a bit bigger border to hopefully get a good compromise. The main point is that the quality of print with the Photo Rag profile was as excellent as the Premium matte at least on this one shot.
Regards Rod

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Rod

I was just reading through some of the older posts and read this one regarding the border width, which relates to the Canon article re EasyPrinterPro, which confirms smudging is the reason they suggest/require 45mm borders.

Your comments about printer profiles being involved must, I think be valid, it is the only thing you are changing.

You might find this link interesting:-

http://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter

It is a free download of an ICC profile viewer.

There is little help in using the viewer software, but with a little persistence, you discover all sorts of interesting things. Clicking on the righthand table entries etc. open up new screens. There is also a modify facility.

I had a look to see if I could find any indication of a border setting entry, but have had no success so far.

You are probably aware of the location of the profiles in Windows, System32, spool, drivers, color, I think I have got that right. Or what ever system you are using.

If you left click on the indecipherable Canon profile number to select it, then right click and "send to" the ICC profile Inspector, you have the quickest way into the profile. Double click on "desc" in line 1 of the tag table and you will get profile tag description identifying the intended paper type. For example "CNB9TIAO.ICM" gives "Canon Pro 9000 Mark II <FB> 1 Fine Art Museum Etching". This seems to be the easiest way to identify which profile you are viewing.

And another thing, please leave a space before the smilies, you are depriving us of the real thing.:)

Regards Ian :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Gday Ian, I didn't know the wide borders were because of any smudging problems because the wide borders are only mandatory on the fine art papers. We can print borderless on any other type of paper so that doesn't make sense. The reason I read is that Canon conferred with pro photographers & they deemed fine art papers should have a wide white border, which is a bit silly because we should be able to choose the size of border we want to use not some professional opinion.
I would have said the edge smudging is from the paper not being nice & flat as I get that when I print on thin 6x4 paper but I have never had a smudge with my usual papers which are normally at least 260gsm & nice & flat. I will practice with the similes :) :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

The smilies have failed again!! How do you do it?? :/

I use 280g and have had a smudge once, but otherwise no problems as the paper is very flexible.

I read somewhere that Canon suggest a much lower maximum weight paper on the 9000 ll, unless you use straight through feeding.

Regards Ian

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator Hi Rod

The smilies have failed again!! How do you do it?? :/
Im guessing that Rodbam uses the Quick post below instead of the Post reply on the right side .. :)