Steaking after usage

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
The description of your ink level monitoring is odd. Yours would be the first I've heard of a spontaneous issue.
No, not a spontaneous issue
When I first got the printer using the setup cartridges it said carts were empty while there was still at least 1/3 or more.
I never removed them, nor the printhead at all between initial setup and running most "empty" by the software reporting.

After the initial setup cartridges I used 3rd party inks, those would also say empty when they were over half left, but I assumed it was bad chip reading or because they had larger reservoirs.

I've used about 3 full sets of the third party since and then I'm now on these OEM ones

I found it kinda weird that the whole prism ink checking thing didn't work, but just assumed it was a gimmick or something.

The finer point is that if you remove a cartridge from the print head for too long (1 minute?) then the printer treats the cartridge as a "New" Cartridge regardless of how much ink is left in the cartridge when you removed it. The printer performs a "New" cartridge ink purge.
This would end up should more ink rather than less if I am understanding correctly.
It would still report the same amount of ink level, but it would have purged a large amount of ink

Did you buy these problematic cartridge (where did you buy from?) or did they come from the previous owner? Is it possible you have aftermarket or counterfeit cartridges?
I bought the printer new, a lil over a year ago, found a great sale.
Used the setup cartridges to start, then 3 sets of aftermarket, then I'm on these inks
They are from B&H Photos, shipped from them to me.
So I don't assume they would be selling counterfeit.

The problem seems to be since I got the printer, but I just assumed it was like all printers and they never really let you use all the ink and just forced you to buy more and more.
I never let a single cartridge even get to the point of no ink in the reservoir, always would be a little bit left then I would replace it.

There is no one way to do this. The main point is to continue to print till things get better. If things get worse to the point you are unhappy with the quality even when using High Quality setting then obtain a new print head or a new printer. or get worse.
The high setting is okayyy not really usable for my needs that will be upcoming. It still has some streaking, but definitely less than standard

A brief search online shows printhead for around $400ish CAD
Which idk if I want to spend that much for just a printhead that I don't know if it will even work 100% or is "genuine" (I spent much less for the whole printer)

Could this have just been a defective printhead from the factory that I didn't realize until it is too late?
Because if it wasn't getting full ink flow, it would be slowly overheating/damaging itself and getting worse over time? Or am I wrong and they might just be separate issues?

I find it weird it would be a clog because if you look really close the "line" that should be clogged comes one and off in a pattern.
Like it looks like it is skipping or only firing those nozzles part-time?
NozzleCheck1-31.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I carefully viewed your “Morning” and the “Now” nozzle checks and could see just a little improvement, so using you printer is helping to clear the print head back to normal, so just go on using the printer for your work..

I reckon it was the use of the aftermarket carts that caused the print head to show signs of clogs and failure and if you stick with only OEM inks for a short while the print head will recover back to full print quality.
When I first got the printer using the setup cartridges it said carts were empty while there was still at
As far as the incorrect ink levels are concerned that’s a completely different matter, we could speculate all day as to what is causing this issue, so I’d suggest checking the Canon website to see if a newer firmware is available for your printer, yours is currently Version 2. 031.

**It can’t be all of the cart chips at the same time that’s causing this problem, but you could remove all the carts and print head from the printer and turn it off (Unplug from socket) then manually reset all the chips on all of the carts regardless of ink levels, (Make sure you do the reset properly).

Then start up the printer like it was new by powering on and wait till it shows there is no print head, then install that and all of the carts, then wait and see what level your inks are reporting on the computer screen.

Question:- Are you using your printer on Wi-Fi, because that can cause abnormal ink levels to be reported, and if you are then use a USB cable and disregard the instructions above **..

P.S. running test sheets does use ink, but nowhere near the amounts that are used for purging, so please try and avoid removing carts unnecessary and this will save your inks..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When I first got the printer using the setup cartridges it said carts were empty while there was still at least 1/3 or more.

I bought the printer new, a lil over a year ago
Sounds like your printer is defective. You should have called Canon Tech Support way back then, definitely when the second cartridge behaved the same way.

Ain't hindsight grand. :hit

You could try talking to Canon Tech Support but it sounds like your printer is out of warranty. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose in calling.

Would a new print head resolve this? Unknown.

Would a new print head resolve the missing nozzles? Given this new information - also unknown. If your prints were appropriate in the beginning and then developed missing nozzles then it is possible a new print head will resolve the missing ink on prints.

You got a unique lemon with bizarre ink level monitoring. Interesting for the forum, and I thank you for increasing the knowledge base, but frustrating for you.

Either accept the imperfections of the printer without hope for much change OR buy a new printer and find printer happiness again.

Smart money and inner peace is on the latter. Move forward today.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
see if a newer firmware is available for your printer, yours is currently Version 2. 031.
Corrupt firmware? Good thought. The issue did occur from the beginning with the Set Up cartridges..

Flashing the firmware, even if the same version, is worth a try. :fl

Are you using your printer on Wi-Fi, because that can cause abnormal ink levels to be reported
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a link to this by any chance? :)lol:)

Are you saying checking levels over Wifi may show incorrect levels on the wireless device used (tablet, laptop, phone) or that Wifi corrupts monitoring altogether and can cause incorrect levels even displayed on the printer's LED screen?

Here is a Canon Product Expert person's advice on a different matter of sticky ink level monitoring after replacing an empty/low marked cartridge. The advice is like The Hat's recommendation and is worth a try:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...XMA-MX452-Low-Ink-Cartridge-reset/td-p/136428

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Flashing the firmware, even if the same version, is worth a try.
The printer won’t accept a rewrite over the same firmware, it has to be newer (Different)..
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a link to this by any chance? :)lol:)

Are you saying checking levels over Wifi may show incorrect levels on the wireless device used (tablet, laptop, phone) or that Wifi corrupts monitoring altogether and can cause incorrect levels even displayed on the printer's LED screen?
No, sorry but that can happen, Wi-Fi bug are not my specialty, I Friggin hate Wi-Fi..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
No, sorry but that can happen
This is news to me so I am asking you to explain more fully so I can understand better.

What can happen? I'm not asking you how WiFi causes the problem but where is it that you see it that demonstrates the problem. Is it when you check the levels on your wireless device? On the printer's LED screen?

The little reading I did from Google search did not differentiate between WiFi and hard wired printers.

@snowmexican

Are you using WiFi only to operate the printer?

Did you set up the printer for WiFi only, meaning you did not set up using a USB printer cable FIRST and then set up WiFi?

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
As far as the incorrect ink levels are concerned that’s a completely different matter, we could speculate all day as to what is causing this issue, so I’d suggest checking the Canon website to see if a newer firmware is available for your printer, yours is currently Version 2. 031.
Doesn't look like there is any new firmware, last one came March of last year as far as I can see. I did update it a few months ago to this current firmware.

Question:- Are you using your printer on Wi-Fi, because that can cause abnormal ink levels to be reported, and if you are then use a USB cable and disregard the instructions above **..
Yes, I am using it over Wifi, my computer and printer are in different areas, I don't mind the "inaccurate" ink monitoring, as I am able to check on them myself when needed.
Just was wondering if it was an issue from the start or not, that the printhead was not actually spitting out the proper amount of inks thus the software thinks its empty while the cartridges still have plenty left? This was my first higher end printer so many lessons learned.

I have a decently accurate scale 0.x of a gram so is there a sheet that should use x.x amount of mls of ink?
I could print those out and test?
But seeing that these current OEM cartridges are still at almost 100% full after all the tests, cleaning and purges, it is definitely not using enough ink?

Here is a Canon Product Expert person's advice on a different matter of sticky ink level monitoring after replacing an empty/low marked cartridge. The advice is like The Hat's recommendation and is worth a try:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...XMA-MX452-Low-Ink-Cartridge-reset/td-p/136428
The ink isn't "sticky" as in installing a new cart will still say low, new cartridges will report as 100% and the software monitoring vs the actual ink levels are the thing that is off, this may be due to wifi, i'm not sure, but I can't really test usb for long periods as the printer is in a different room than my computer setup.
I will definitely try The Hats recommendation when I get home this evening

Are you using WiFi only to operate the printer?

Did you set up the printer for WiFi only, meaning you did not set up using a USB printer cable FIRST and then set up WiFi?
Yes wifi is the main way I print, occasionally I will use usb.
I believe that I set up with USB, it forced me to set it up that way from what I can recall. Then setup Wifi and used it like that onwards.

Sounds like your printer is defective. You should have called Canon Tech Support way back then, definitely when the second cartridge behaved the same way.

Ain't hindsight grand. :hit

You could try talking to Canon Tech Support but it sounds like your printer is out of warranty. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose in calling.

Would a new print head resolve this? Unknown.

Would a new print head resolve the missing nozzles? Given this new information - also unknown. If your prints were appropriate in the beginning and then developed missing nozzles then it is possible a new print head will resolve the missing ink on prints.

You got a unique lemon with bizarre ink level monitoring. Interesting for the forum, and I thank you for increasing the knowledge base, but frustrating for you.

Either accept the imperfections of the printer without hope for much change OR buy a new printer and find printer happiness again.

Smart money and inner peace is on the latter. Move forward today.
Ok, so just for my understanding, how much of a headache are these printers meant to be?
I know using 3rd party inks is a big no no in these, especially from a more random manufacturer.
But let's just just say i was using OEM inks or refilled inks, would printing like twice a week with a good print that works out all the nozzles be okay?
What about leaving for a few weeks at a time? Would there need to be a prep that I perform to ensure good printing and no clogs upon my return?
If there are clogs what is the best method for removing them?

I don't think I will go the route of a new printhead as they are almost as much as a new printer due to the pro 100 being discontinued.
But this situation im in would be considered unique?
(I know that the 3rd party inks could likely be the the issue, and I am DEFINITELY NOT using them again, only OEM and good, community verified companies)

I'm glad I got the printer on a great sale and learned my lesson, but it sucks that i'm stuck with a full set of oem and refill inks lol.

Im glad I could add to the knowledge base, if there is any more information that I can provide, just let me know and I will be more than happy to add to this to possibly help others in the future. Thank you both for the continued help, really wish I had found this forum a lot earlier, but lessons learn, maybe i'll just tear down the entire printer, I sure would have fun doing that :woot

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I think there is a problem with the sealing cup or piming circuit.
I thought to read through the thread but it is mucho confusing. However I have picked out a few salient points.
1. It starts with a new a New Pro-100 on OEM inks displaying some form of clogging. Should not be happening...points to hardware defect. OEM tanks and My refilled inks can lay dormant for at least six months and come back alive perfectly PROVIDED the printer hardware is working properly.

2. Author then indicates that ink levels are not reported properly all the time. The ink remaining is always greater than what the chip says.

This should be another hint. If the printer is not pulling the correct amount of ink through the printhead as would happen with a defective priming circuit/system then there will be greater amounts of physical ink remaining than what is supposed to be estimated by the chip. Chips do not misbehave, if they do, they are gone and should be replaced and then this is rare but possible. Rare though.

It is unlikely to be a printhead issue but at this point it could be that as well if the printhead was damaged now ( depends on how much printing was done when the problem initially surfaced.

Defective priming circuits will display improper wetting of the nozzles. This can lead to A. Bad nozzle checks ( Check) b. Streaking (check) C. Real clogs but worse is the possibility that eventually the nozzles will be overheated and become fatal because the printhead is operating in a situation it should not be.

The proper thing would have been to have the printer replaced intially. At this point, replacing the printhead might be attempted and if it is the priming circuit, then the printhead could be damaged again but.

My bet is the priming circuit. Possibly a loosened tube or improper seal. One way to check is to carefully weigh each tank to 0.1 gram. Perform a head clean on all colors and then immediately weigh them all again. See how much ink has been consumed and also whether each tank is reduced the same amount. The tanks should each weigh at least 0.4 grams less or greater after a head clean. If they don't, it is likely that the circuit is at fault. ( 0.4 is for the priming cycle itself when the lid is lowered)

For the solution, someone skilled in the disassembly of the printer should help at that point. It is not the ink, it is not the refilling perfection, but it lies with the printer body. It could also mean a printhead replacement as well, and "it depnds".

Good luck.

Last edited:

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
My bet is the priming circuit. Possibly a loosened tube or improper seal. One way to check is to carefully weigh each tank to 0.1 gram. Perform a head clean on all colors and then immediately weigh them all again. See how much ink has been consumed and also whether each tank is reduced the same amount. The tanks should each weigh at least 0.4 grams less or greater after a head clean. If they don't, it is likely that the circuit is at fault. ( 0.4 is for the priming cycle itself when the lid is lowered)
Ok, I will perform this either during my lunch break or this evening, and I will report with the result.
Thank you very much!

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100

For the solution, someone skilled in the disassembly of the printer should help at that point. It is not the ink, it is not the refilling perfection, but it lies with the printer body. It could also mean a printhead replacement as well, and "it depnds".
Ok so I guess it may be disassembly time 🤪

I measured each cartridge with my scale (not the most accurate so I took three measurements while zeroing out the scale in-between each measurement)
The measurements were as follows
M - 23.7g (refilled cartridge didn't go full full so that's why it's a lil lower than the others)
PC - 24.8g
Y - 24.6g
BK - 22.9g (refill as well)
GY - 25.2g
PM - 25.1g
LGY - 24.8
C - 24.6

The only change was BK and PM of a loss of -0.1g of ink ( but this also may be withing the margin of error of the scale)
So nowww I would assume this pins it as the purge unit?

I also did clean the gasket around the purge unit and did a "leak" test of it by placing distilled water onto the purge pads (although they are hard as a rock, normal?) and the water would sit in a pool, I came back 5 mins later and it was still present, ran a cleaning cycle and the water got removed.

/\ this was suggested from this link https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/urgent-help-canon-ip4920.7972/page-4#post-66333

Last edited:

Latest posts