Steaking after usage

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The ink isn't "sticky" as in installing a new cart will still say low, new cartridges will report as 100% and the software monitoring vs the actual ink levels are the thing that is off
I said it was a "different matter" not the same. What struck me is that ink monitoring did not work properly and that it was worth trying the same advice. You have nothing to lose.

this may be due to wifi
The Hat is very experienced about printers and may have read about this type of situation before. At this moment, though, I doubt it. Testing with the printer connected to a computer with a USB printer cable would test his hypothesis.

I can't really test usb for long periods as the printer is in a different room than my computer setup.
Then move the printer to where the computer is. You may need to print only by USB cable and not WiFi if you truly want to solve the riddle.

I know using 3rd party inks is a big no no
Generally, no, it is not a no-no. Using a "universal ink" is discouraged, but may be used.

The issue is to keep the printer "exercised" regularly by printing something using all the cartridges every 1-2 weeks. Using third party inks may increase the risk for clogs or nozzle burnout.

What about leaving for a few weeks at a time? Would there need to be a prep that I perform to ensure good printing and no clogs upon my return?
If there are clogs what is the best method for removing them?
Dude, not important at this time. Take care of the problem, \not problems that don't exist currently. First things first.

But this situation im in would be considered unique?
Go back and read post #23.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1. It starts with a new a New Pro-100 on OEM inks displaying some form of clogging.
No. It started with the set up cartridge showing empty but with ink still in the spongeless side. This mismatch between ink level monitoring and residual ink continued with subsequent store bought cartridges. Then ink loss was noticed, apparently some time after the ink level issue. It took till post #19 for OP to finally let us know this tidbit. Ink level monitoring was fecked from the beginning.

Yeah, this thread is painful to read and follow.

I think there is a problem with the sealing cup or piming circuit.
What is the "sealing cup"?

OEM tanks and My refilled inks can lay dormant for at least six months and come back alive perfectly PROVIDED the printer hardware is working properly.
Is this a guarantee? Please detail the parameters under which you are covering the loss of a print head or failure of the purge system. If the print head is clogged after six months dormancy is the "printer hardware" then not "properly working" and no longer covered?

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
I said it was a "different matter" not the same. What struck me is that ink monitoring did not work properly and that it was worth trying the same advice. You have nothing to lose.
Yes I am going to try this. But as I said before im not very worried if it is a "software" issue, I still monitor the ink levels myself.
My larger concern with bringing this up was if it was a hardware defect or issue whether purging unit, printer head, or cartridges.
As for using usb vs wifi, it is something that I can do, but not really for a permanent long term solution.
If this could be causing the streaking issue then 100% I will take a few days and run it only on usb, but if it is only a bug/ink monitoring level issues I'm fine with watching that myself (I prefer to)

It took till post #19 for OP to finally let us know this tidbit. Ink level monitoring was fecked from the beginning.
I actually brought this up very early on in post #5, but it wasn't really addressed, instead focus was still on the cartridge, which I completely understand as it is the thing that most recently changed and needed to be addredded first and removed as an issue.
Could this be a purging issue as you mentioned in the first reply?
If so is there anything I can do to identify/ fix that?
I also did notice that the canon software is reporting very different usage to what my inks actually look like
for example, PC says it's almost used up, but this is what it actually looks like, barely any ink used?

Go back and read post #23.
I'm sorry that I was coming across repetitive, I am just trying to learn and make sure of things that are going on.
I have been reading and rereading all these posts to learn as much as I can.
I was just trying to verify the information that was presented to me. You had just said it may have been defective so I was wondering if there may have been others that could have had this situation or similar defects from the factory.
I really do appreciate you taking your time to read, reply and help with this in all ways.

Dude, not important at this time. Take care of the problem, \not problems that don't exist currently. First things first.
I was looking to the future to see about issues and how common they would be to see if I may be biting off more that I can chew with a high end photo printer

But I am also trying to look at my past habits and procedures to see where else I may be differing from the normal. I am doing my best to communicate over these forums, but its hard to tell you what I don't even know is or may have been an issue?
Either accept the imperfections of the printer without hope for much change OR buy a new printer and find printer happiness again.

Smart money and inner peace is on the latter. Move forward today.

Yeah, this thread is painful to read and follow.
I apologize for any inconsistencies or information I failed to let y'all know in a timely manner, I'm still learning about all this as well and it is very new to me. I am doing my best to relay all the information and answer all questions as best I can.

If I have missed any, been unclear with any explanations or anything please let me know and I will clear it up and answer any questions.

Thank you again @stratman I know time is very valuable and knowledge so much more so

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I actually brought this up very early on in post #5
No you did not bring up the ink level monitoring mismatch BEGINNING with the set up cartridges in Post #5. It wasn't until Post #19 you informed us of this important fact. This was a critical piece of information. Details matter.

What your comment tells me is that you don't understand what you've written.

How do you expect others to understand you?

I was just trying to verify the information that was presented to me.
"Verify" means you do not trust the advice to be true. Way to win friends and influence people.

Are you trolling?

If you need to "clarify" a recommendation then do. Otherwise, take the advice and try it. If it doesn't work then don't go over the same points.

If the advice doesn't work then it is time for acceptance so you can move forward. You will feel better.

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
No you did not bring up the ink level monitoring mismatch BEGINNING with the set up cartridges in Post #5. It wasn't until Post #19 you informed us of this important fact. This was a critical piece of information. Details matter.
I'm sorry that it did take so long to get this information conveyed towards you, again it's hard to know what is a issue vs what could just be normal behaviour. I wouldn't have a way to tell that what the printer is doing is malfunction as I didn't have much reference to compare it to. I am not a printer expert. The prints came out looking amazing and didn't have any streaking or other issues, maybe they were meant to look even more amazing, I am not sure. I did have lots of clogging issues, but I assumed it was due to a lower humidity.

A majority of the "home" inkjet printers I have used have had ink left in the cartridge when the printer said it was empty. I had no reason to believe it was any different for these aside from the fact I could actually see the ink and how much was actually left.

Instead of going over the past, more questions could be asked and answered.

I still don't know if it has been determined to be a defective printer and no more can be done?
That is why I was trying to verify, not clarify, I understood what you were saying, but I wanted to be more sure of something that would say my printer is mostly a 50 pound paper weight.
Either accept the imperfections of the printer without hope for much change OR buy a new printer and find printer happiness again.

So no I am not "trolling"
Sorry again if it at all came across that way.
I'm honestly ready to move forward.

Is there any printers that you would suggest? Or an area I can post my needs and gain some recommendations?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm honestly ready to move forward.
Then stop procrastinating and do it.

Read about printers on the manufacturer's web site, Google for reviews on the ones you like and then buy one.