Steaking after usage

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Frankly, there is a lot going on and information is spread out and a bit confusing.
As you are not getting any definitive answers and the goalpost keep moving, I’d suggest your run this test print and then do a nozzle check immediately afterwards and post here.

Print at least 6 six test prints.. This will give the print head a good clean out..

test print.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As you are not getting any definitive answers and the goalpost keep moving
You quoted me? My goalpost has remained stationary. I don't know about wonderful Wicklow but here in cloudy Cleveland we don't give definitive answers when there isn't one yet to give. :smack

bluestang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, EpsonArtisan730
Cleveland? Too close to me for comfort LoL

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
if we are talking the same language when you said the cartridge dripped well after refilling. :idunno
I was following jtoolman's videos on youtube for refilling, and the included instructions from precision colours.
Video link here
I timestamped it to where he is talking about the ink flow.

Frankly, there is a lot going on and information is spread out and a bit confusing. Even so, my recommendation STILL stands that you use new cartridges in order to remove any confusion or confounding ancillary issue.
The only other cartridge that I currently have is a 3rd party one, would you want me to try to install and use that for the M channel? ( I don't have enough 3rd party cartridges for replacing the entire 8 colours)
I can refill the other cartridges and test those out but it seems rn that it's mainly the M, BK, and GY all of which have been replaced once already.

Pretty much all of the channels are showing a slight issue, and it would take a while to order another set of inks, whether OEM or 3rd party, at least 2 weeks before they would be shipped to me to be able to test. And after getting a full OEM set and refill kit I don't want to waste money on more inks if the printhead/print ends up needing to be scrapped.

I've tested the flow for the M and BK I've refilled and it's still flowing well, removed the plug and it drips consistently like jtoolman in the video described.

Should I try the third party ink I have for the magenta channel?

Worst case scenario is you need a new print head.
Are there still new printheads for the pro-100 at a decent price?

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
Print at least 6 six test prints.. This will give the print head a good clean out..
I have a PDF of that file so I used that

I have a nozzle check before and after, I did my best for naming the files.
I was printing on plain paper with the plain paper setting and printing on standard settings

I also included 2 of the test prints
(one is done on standard and you can see streaking and the other is done one high and the streaking is pretty close to non-existent)

It has seemed to reduce the streaking in the channels by a little bit.

The pdf's look very similar to the actual sheets (colour is a little off) but as far as artifacts or compression it should look the way it would in person
I only have a very small scanner

Thank you @The Hat for your time to help me with this issue, let me know anything else I need to do or send over
and also thank you to @stratman I forgot to thank you in the last post (don't want to be ungrateful)

Attachments

• Nozzlecheckafter.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 268
  • NozzleCheckbefore6pageprintout.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 253
  • ColorCard.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 280
  • colorcard_printout_highsetting.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 261
  • colorcardprintout.pdf
    9.5 MB · Views: 273

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You quoted me? My goalpost has remained stationary. I don't know about wonderful Wicklow but here in cloudy Cleveland
Sorry about that @stratman, that quote was aimed at @snowmexican and not you.
O’ and its Pissin rain all week here too..

The object of the test print was not to see how well it printed (Quality wise) but merely to exercise the print head and get some ink flowing through it which can help clean out any reluctant ink deposits remaining inside.

It’s the best way to get back to proper printing and quality output, and in time your nozzle check will become clear again..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
also included 2 of the test prints
(one is done on standard and you can see streaking and the other is done one high and the streaking is pretty close to non-existent)

Clogged nozzles. When printed using High Quality the print head makes more passes and is able to compensate for the clogged nozzles.

Let the printer rest over night then print a nozzle check the next day. If defects still present then you can either run a couple Regular Cleaning cycles OR run The Hat's 6 test print test again. Whichever route you decide, then run a nozzle check, scan, crop and post. JPG and PNG are acceptable besides PDF.

Flushing and soaking may also clear reversible clogs, but try what I wrote above first. Continued improvement is a hopeful sign that enough/all clogs may be cleared. Otherwise, a new print head if the defects are unacceptable to you.

If printing in High Quality overcomes the defects then you can use High Quality instead of obtaining a new print head.

Are there still new printheads for the pro-100 at a decent price?
Don't know. Search Google for Canon Pro-100 print head.

You mentioned jtoolman and Precision Colors - did they not help you with your problems since you followed their instructions?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
O’ and its Pissin rain all week here too..
At least something's getting pissed. It's 5 O'Clock here but 12 hours behind (ahead?) the customary time for a tipple.

Good call on test print printing. That's why you make the big bucks. :thumbsup

snowmexican

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
The object of the test print was not to see how well it printed (Quality wise) but merely to exercise the print head and get some ink flowing through it which can help clean out any reluctant ink deposits remaining inside.
@The Hat
So I should continue to run a few sheets or cleaning cycles daily until the nozzles become clear? Should I wait between each? Would there be a max to do per day? Would there be a point to say it's not recoverable (like after x amount of prints or days)?

Another thing that I am still noticing is that the ink monitoring is VERY off.
Ink monitoring is saying that inks are empty then they are nearly still at 100%
1612118750597.png

This is after many purges from switching cartridges and removing the printhead a couple of times.
Printing over 12 of the test pages
Several cleaning cycles over these few days
and many many test pages (which I assume use very little ink tho)
Again the black and magenta were refilled (and reset) and gray was replaced with a third-party ink to try different cartridges.
Is this normal?
I can remember the first time I got the ink empty notice I took the cartridge out and replaced it with 3rd party inks (which I regret) but then I noticed there was at least 1/3 of ink in the reservoir (where the liquid ink is, not the sponge side), almost half in some other colours. I remember making a comment to my wife on how it interesting I can see how much ink is actually left, and it said empty when it really wasn't.

Is it normal that since the beginning I've been having 1/3 of the ink left, and upwards of half still left in the cartridges?
Now it's reporting empty but my cartridges are still full, and these are the OEM ones that I got, not refill or reset.
It doesn't seem like the printhead is using the full amount of ink that is meant to be, the ink should be a lot more used?

Let the printer rest over night then print a nozzle check the next day. If defects still present then you can either run a couple Regular Cleaning cycles OR run The Hat's 6 test print test again. Whichever route you decide, then run a nozzle check, scan, crop and post. JPG and PNG are acceptable besides PDF.

I printed 6 more of the test prints and here is the nozzle
I personally compared to the nozzle check I did this morning don't notice much of a change, maybe yall can see if looks better or the same still?
Here is what it is at now
NozzleCheck1-31-2021.jpg

Here was it this morning before any test pages

NozzleCheck1-31-2021.jpg(sorry about the back of this one, been reusing as I've been printing so many nozzle checks that didn't want to scrap papers after one use)

Thanks for your continued help it has been very much appreciated so far!
And rain would be nice, I only get snow, snow and more snow. But hey at least it's only -20c and sunny 😂! Could definitely be worse lol.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nozzle checks look pretty similar. If you get proper looking prints on High Quality then continue to print that way. Every now and then look at a nozzle check or try a print with Standard settings to see if the clogs have clear.

There is no one way to do this. The main point is to continue to print till things get better. If things get worse to the point you are unhappy with the quality even when using High Quality setting then obtain a new print head or a new printer. or get worse.

The description of your ink level monitoring is odd. Yours would be the first I've heard of a spontaneous issue.

Is it normal that since the beginning I've been having 1/3 of the ink left, and upwards of half still left in the cartridges?
No, not normal for a single use OEM cartridge to have ink left in the spongeless side when marked as "Empty". Something like this can happen if you refill and do not reset the chip, however. MAybe with ARC chips as well.I don't think swapping same color cartridges in and out and then back in would disrupt ink level monitoring for each cartridge independently of the other same color cartridge that was rotated with it.

Example: Yellow cartridge #1 is swapped out of the print head with Yellow cartridge #2. If you then put Yellow cartridge #1 back in the print head it should have the same ink level as when you removed it MINUS any ink purging that occurs when Cartridge #1 is reinstalled.

The finer point is that if you remove a cartridge from the print head for too long (1 minute?) then the printer treats the cartridge as a "New" Cartridge regardless of how much ink is left in the cartridge when you removed it. The printer performs a "New" cartridge ink purge.

Did you buy these problematic cartridge (where did you buy from?) or did they come from the previous owner? Is it possible you have aftermarket or counterfeit cartridges?

If you bought these cartridges and they are OEM, then a call to Canon Tech Support might be helpful. I once had a bad chip on a retail OEM cartridge and Canon overnight shipped a new one.