Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Craig, thanks for that great post... I look forward to your next!

Update: The screw / o-ring combo is still working very well and is easy to manage. I'm testing out a brand new set of cartridges that I'll have to create a hole into as the alotofthings carts had a perfect size hole for the screw. I'll keep you posted.

Pixmaker

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello, Rob. This is my first post to this forum but I've been lurking, reading, appreciating and learning for quite a while. Thank you all!

Regarding hole-sealing stuff. . .you might try gaffer tape. It's a cloth-backed tape like duct tape but with a different adhesive that doesn't leave a sticky residue or dry out like duct tape. It's about $20 a roll. FWIW, I've been using white butyl bathroom caulk on BCI-6 carts with good results.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Pixmaker, welcome and thanks for the post. Hopefully we can convert more lurker's to participators... I know you other lurkers are reading this... yeah, I'm talking to you!! ;)

Funny thing about duct tape is the stuff I've been using hasn't produced a bit of sticky residue, but the duct tape that I got from Grandad left quite a bit of residue. I don't know if it was due to the brand / type of duct tape, or if something happened during shipping / usage of the tape from Grandad that caused his tape to become more sticky with more residue.

I may look into the "gaffer tape" you mentioned... if not for refilling, as my screw / o-ring combo is working well, then for other uses. I've had a few conversations with people who use the stuff for many projects, but have never tried it myself.

Another kind of tape that may work well is the tape that I got with my laser cartridge refill kit. It seems to be aluminum backed and has very nice adhesion, but I haven't done any long term removal / residue tests. Anybody know what this stuff is called?

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just when you thought this thread was dead here's a varation on Rob's screw and o ring sealing combo
I was watching my wife change a mop head on one of those squeeze mops when I noticed they came with
plastic hand screws, what could they be used for I pondered for about 2 seconds, sealing canon carts
of course what else.Thanks to Rob's help I've included a picture.
screw.JPG

for ease of unscrewing I cut the thread in half with some wire cutters and put some vasaline on the o ring
to help the seal along I also used the tap that comes from MIS for thier cis kits.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Craig,

First off, thanks for the post. A point of correction... this thread will NEVER die... it will go on and on forever and ever... even if I have to make up a new type of seal every month! ;)

Thanks for the picture! I think pictures are WAY easier and better than 1,000 words. BTW, what's up with that yellow cart? It looks like it has been through the war. :)

Finally, and most important, how do we get a hold of these things? I guess I need to go out and buy the correct mop head replacement?

Thanks again!

Craig Ross

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A war ? yup pretty much descibes my work place.been doing battle with various printers and refilling for a while now
but the biggest battle is Microsoft
MY WAR ZONE
warzone1.JPG

warzone2.JPG

we have 3 or 4 of these war zones here but the demiliterised zone is next door (the pub)

Sorry got carried away with the new picture posting skill.
back to the plastic screws, I got the sponge mop head from my local supermarket and cost fom memory
less than 5 dollars there are 2 types a 4 screw or 6 screw head the ones I used were 4 screw and I think
the 6 screw ones were similar but smaller.I,ll find out tommorrow I,ll probably end up with three years supply
of squeeze mops.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Craig, thanks so much for posting those pictures!!!! They almost brought a tear to my eye they're so beautiful!!!

Maybe we should start a thread for "Pictures Of Your Work Area"

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey guys,

To Quote nifty-stuff
"Hopefully we can convert more lurker's to participators... I know you other lurkers are reading this... yeah, I'm talking to you!! "

OK OK Yes Im a lurker too, but just a learning one. I have to say WOW!!! again, and I said it in the feedback forum. How is a person to get ANY work done at all, with threads like these ??? Im currently looking at my options of buying my 1st first printer. Im interested in the Canon PIXMA range and tossing up between the 4000 and 5000. Its threads like these that are a real help, and I can only say a HUGE thankyou to all who have contributed this info. The pictures are absolutely fabulous. In the earlier parts of this thread I was hoping that pickies would come up.

Cheers, Music Image.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Music Image, welcome to the dark... er... um... light side! ;)

Speaking of pictures, nothing drives me more BONKERS than missing images in a forum. If anybody notices any missing pictures, please let me know so I can load them on my server or do whatever is needed to fix them. In fact, if you have images to post on this forum, please use my server to host them so I don't have to rely on the unreliability of other servers!
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, fotofreek has done a great thing and has sent me a couple plugs to try out. Here is a picture of the Computer Friends "blue plugs" and a few of my other hole plugging devices:
plugs.jpg

The black rubber plug in the middle never gave me a good enough seal. The allen screw worked great, but just for a single refill or two then it couldn't provide a good seal. The translucent plug to the right is the one that comes with the Arrow carts and fits just right into their refill hole.

Now, from what I understand, these blue plugs are meant to fit in the hole (5/32) created in the OEM cartridges after the ball is removed correct?

Latest posts