Sealing the refill hole BCI-6 BCI-3

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Rob - I bought a few stainless steel screws at Ace Hardware ($0.20/ea.), and was pleasantly surprised to find that they were not magnetic (there are some low chrome content "stainless steels" that have poor corrosion resistance and are magnetic). I put one of them and a zinc plated screw in a sample of ink and left them for 4 days. On pulling them out of the ink and washing them off, this is what I saw:
Screw_Rust.jpg

The zinc plating did a good job where it was plated, but it is obvious that the plating didn't extend completely to the tip of the screw. This isn't a real problem in "normal" applications, where the screw tip isn't exposed (or seen). Actually, this shouldn't be surprising, as it is necessary to hold the screw somehow while it is being plated. It looks like it is held at the tip, so this area doesn't get plated.

I'll obviously be replacing my zinc plated screws with stainless steel screws.

Bobglen97 - This is definitely OT, but there is a little more to the muffler rust-out issue than just stainless steel. At least in the US, automakers have to guarantee that the emission system will meet the emission standards for 50,000 miles. Since the catalytic converter is part of this system, the auto makers now had an incentive to make sure that the exhaust system lasted for more than a year.

A second major change was that tetraethyl lead was removed from the gasoline at the same time because it fouled the catalytic converters. When tetraethyl lead was used, the gasoline companies had to add compounds with such things as bromides to keep the lead residue from building up on the valves, etc. The fun began when a car was started with a cold exhaust system. Water from the combustion process condensed inside the muffler (this is what runs out of the tailpipe of a cold car, not raw fuel) and mixed with the bromides to form such nasty things as hydrobromic acid (http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/HY/hydrobromic_acid.html). If the car was driven long enough to heat the exhaust system and dry it out, this wasn't a big problem. If the car was only driven a short distance, the acid would remain in the exhaust system and quickly eat it out. This is why "short hops" are so hard on a car, even if they are less of a problem now than they used to be.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Grandad... thank you for proving that I'm not going crazy and seeing things that aren't there. I hope Mark reads this thread and takes a look at his screws!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Havena't seen anyone besides me and Nifty who want to buy orings on line at a very cheap price. Speak up now or forever hold you peace!

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I would love to, but I can't, I'm stationed in Saudi Arabia. hehehehehe.
So far, I'm pretty happy with the rubber plugs that alotofthings has provided me along with the bulk ink i've purchased. i've got about 50 of these.
my only concern is that i am afraid that the rubber plug would loosen over time and push out, so to be safe, i taped over the rubber plugs for good measure.

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm interested too, also in the screws.

I can pay via paypal if you want. And ship to Miami.
Also if anyone would offer to buy other things for me like costco paper and ship to Miami, I would be gratefull too. I'll pay for all of it on paypal.

Thanks

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
bmht - you can go onto www.costco.com and order the Kirkland Glossy Photo paper. You don't have to be a member, but you will pay a 5% surcharge as a non member. You have a costco store at 14585 Biscayne Blvd, North Miami, 33181, phone - (305) 650-5949. If you or a friend are a member you are pretty close - I think about 10 miles from Miami. The screws are just hardware store items and you can look back on the posts in this thread for the size. If I buy the orings on line I can send them via us mail and you can just send me a check. I am not set up for receiving funds through paypal, and the amount of money is very small.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I may send a check too... I like to avoid paypal fees whenever possible.

SAP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi

Am new from UK. Interesting to readabout various ways to plug the refill hole. I use allen screw to plug the hole and then light a candle and drop couple of melted wax drops on it. Seals it just fine and easy to take off for the next refill.

bmht

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys

It's kind of complicated to explain, but we have here now goverment regulations to buy US$ currency. We have a limited ammount on what we can buy over the internet and such. With paypal I use my ammount but pay at the legal rate so I don't have to go and buy $ at the black market at a much higher price.
I'm aware of costco online, but I have to got an USA address billing and shipping. Shipping I manage, but my billing address for my credit card is in Vzla so it won't do me good.
That is why I asked about this. Of course I would pay in advance if you want :), including the shipping charges to Miami.

Let me know if someone is interested in helping me out.

Thanks!

goober059

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I add my 2cents worth.
I have a Canon i965 and have been refilling my carts ( I'm from down under in OZ). I have been using a round top self tapping zinc plated screw size 6, I think, with a rubber O-ring from a plumbing store to fit shank diameter of screw. After several months I have not had any leaks or drips and the O-rings seem to take repeated squishing without signs of duress. Easy to unscrew, inject ink and screw back in again. They cost next to nothing along with the screws so can be replaced at little cost each refill for added security. The screws need changing as they do discolor if the tip is covered in ink.

Tried the Hot Glue stuff......not impressed with reliabilty at all.

Cheers from the Goober.