I'd like to throw in my 2 cents on this discussion. I like the idea of using O-rings and sheet metal screws to seal the opening, but it seems a bit big relative to the cartridge size. Here is my idea about that:
You could salvage small screws from electronic devices (CD-ROM drives, boomboxes, etc.) if you have access to junked ones; or if you want to go stainless, you can order some from MicroFasteners. Their page for pan-head sheet metal screws is
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/TWSSMPP.cfm and they have #2 x 1/4" stainless steel screws for $3.60 for 100. Now for the rubber gasket, I think you'll like this idea! Take a rubber glove (not the missus's main pair!) and get a leather punch, the type that has six different hole sizes and grips like pliers. Use the smallest punch size to punch little holes in the material, then use scissors to cut them into little squares. (I was thinking a paper punch would work for this, but did not have success - the rubber wants to stretch through the hole instead of cutting it. I also could not get a clean cut with the biggest size on the leather punch) for a thin and very cheap gasket for the little screws! (I'll have to give it a try and post on how well it seems to work.)
My other comment is that I had purchased some aftermarket BCI-3's that have a single sponge, and it seems to be one that does not soak up ink well at all - a good portion of the sponge had not absorbed ink when I opened them. No brand name on the box - just a rainbow and descriptive information on a white background. I would avoid these if possible (I wont reveal the seller in case they have changed brands since they sold me these.)
I really love my Canon S600 printer, even thought it doesn't have photo inks; I am sorely tempted to pick up an Epson R200 however to be able to print on CD's & DVD's; they seem to be offering good rebate deals on them and I suspect they are being closed out (this weeks Best Buy ad says 'while supplies last').
Very happy to find this forum where we can discuss our ideas for refilling ink.
Ron