Reviving an old R220

PIXIP

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo R220
Hello,
As I hate to throw away stuff, I am trying to revive an old Epson Stylus Photo R220 printer.
It used to print adequately but not perfect. So after a long decline in quality, I have tried to clean the printer head nozzles (the spikes) with windex\alcohol and syringe+tube.
Now it just prints nothing - the head is moving and paper is feeding but comes out completely white. Not a single dot of ink. I've looked at all the guides and videos but they refer to a clogged head, which I don't think is the problem.

Here's what I found out:
  1. No error messages at all.
  2. While taking out the printerhead, I've noticed I'm barely able to put the longer of the two flat data cables back in place since the metal contacts started to peel off a bit... I'm thinking maybe everything is working properly but the cartridge doesn't get any command to put out ink? Could that explain the problem, even though no hardware faults are presented? I can take photos of it if it's of any interest
  3. The underside of the head, where it meets the paper, is a bit scraped. However, I could still see lines of ink when pressed through with a syringe so there is a passage.
  4. after all these tries, I get a low ink error now. Even though I can hear the ink in the (non-genuine) cartridge. Even switching it with another cartridge (of a wrong color) doesn't even change the status and ink levels. what gives?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
I've already put it up online for donation with all of the above stated in the ad, so hopefully, it won't go to the landfill either way. Hoping at least.

Thanks!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I wouldn't put any efforts anymore in a printer in that condition, and I'm afraid that there is no driver anymore for Win10. A printer of this type did its job already, it's approx. 15 years old at this time.