Refilling The Pgi-9 Cartridges

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you! I think On retrospect, I should have approached it from scratch and not as a follow up from the previous video.
I will edit the INFO on YouTube and add those credits to the text. OR I'll redo the video and add credit overlays.

After I made the little hole on the cab I pushed the blunt cut stubby needle directly into the tight hole and simply applied a bit of glue. I used a type of very slow curing CA glue I get locally called Gorilla Glue.

I now realize that the bit about squeezing the sides to allow any air bubbles to escape, I made a reference to the previous video, assuming the viewer also saw it. Now I realize that maybe people have not seen the previous one. So yes I should have referenced that better, Maybe I'll redo it tomorrow. This was my second try at using the Freedom Method on these carts.

Yes, it's a great printer.
I just received my second 9500 today. $305 and free shipping from Ebay.
By the way that was my birthday present to myself.
I now have more damn printers than I could possibly use but I will sure have a blast trying.

I now have 4 complete sets of PGI-9 carts at my disposal. Again, probably more than I really need.

I edited the video's description to read as follows:

"Please view this video first for some more detailed background on refilling PGI-9 carts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGBzHSQx5bU

In this more advanced method, you use a modified exit port cap to inject ink directly into the cartridge ink chamber.
No mess and very quick.

I want to give full credit to www.nifty-stuff.com forum member ghwellsjr, the inventor and developer of the Freedom Method and also to an unnamed Russian individual (?) who introduced all of us to the exit PGI-9 port sponge refill method to the internet, IIRC.
Also forum members, The Hat and mikling from: www.nifty-stuff.com for being responsible for the evolution of the current method I was able to demonstrate here in this video."

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jtoolman said:
I just received my second 9500 today. $305 and free shipping from Ebay.
By the way that was my birthday present to myself.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :ya Wishing you many more, my friend.

I now have more damn printers than I could possibly use but I will sure have a blast trying.
Welcome to the club! The real challenge is keeping the spouse/significant other from blowing a fuse over the number and the space they take away from their shoes, purses, whatever. :rant

... unnamed Russian individual (?)
I think he published a method of exit port refilling with a syringe for an model earlier than the PGI-9. Also, now that the brain cells have been reactivated, some Germans devised an exit port refilling method that cost several hundred dollars, though i don't know if it was before or after the Russian. Then there was the Asian knockoff version that came along after the Germans. Probably the Germans stole it from someone else, like Canon, who, in turn, ripped off someone else's idea. The printer ink biz is rough! :barnie