Refilling The Pgi-9 Cartridges

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Maybe a much more sophisticated method will be developed. We'll see!

You are definitely right there Hatman! I'm almost afraid to give out the link, LOL

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The bills are usually right smack up front where I can't miss them!
Thanks! Glad you liked it.
One curious thing I noticed and it maybe means nothing. All three blacks seem to absorb ink at a much faster rate then the color carts. Next I will modify a clip for a simple "freedom refill" setup. Since the empties ( these were pretty much fully emptied ) were weighing in at 16.5 grams on the average, I can use a 30 ml syringe to inject 15 -16 CCs and then do the last few dribbles till the cart weighs in at 33 grams.
I'll do a video of that process as well.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Watching right now... this seems an EXCELLENT video. Strong light, clear voice, neat unstained hands -- the instructions are simple and informative.

I am preparing a posting about videos (mainly addressed to professionals from the viewpoint of the user) and your video is a top example of what to do.

This video shows the most important advantages of the Canadian Method: simple, clean and safe.

Congratulations to jtoolman and mikeling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
Maybe a much more sophisticated method will be developed. We'll see!

You are definitely right there Hatman! I'm almost afraid to give out the link, LOL
Brilliant Joe I knew you could do it, even under the lights.:thumbsup
When I did that I made a mess simply because I rushed the whole procedure,
Id get the first one right but lose my patents with the next few.

Good presentation ten out of ten..
One question for you:- did you shake your ink bottles before you filled your syringe up.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you The Hat! Really appreciate it. Yes I did shake all the bottles. I had a lot of extra footage that I cut out. I recorded the next three carts being filled but stuck with the yellow. Worked out very well.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
A little update for the truly GEEKY.
I began to print a run of ten bordered images on 11x17 satin paper using a fully refilled set of inks. After finishing the job I looked at my ink monitor and only the gray showed a drop. It was right around 1/3 lower than full. The rest of the remaining colors have not shown any discernible drop yet but I think that may be an a case where eventually it will probably display an abrupt drop in volume.

Now figuring I began with a gray tank weighing at 33 grams, I decided to weight it at the 1/3 down condition.
I know that it weighed in at 16.5 grams when fully emptied ( these were reconditioned carts from mikling ) so I know it takes 16.5 grams / cc of ink to fill to 33 grams.
This 1/3 down cart came in at 27.4 grams. So 33grams - 27.4 grams = 5.6 grams of ink used. 16.5 / 5.6 =2.94 That's nearly 1/3! So the when the indicator showed 1.3 down, that was pretty darn accurate!! I NEVER really put much faith on any ink indicator for any brand printer but I guess I'll have re-evaluate my views.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jtoolman said:
This 1/3 down cart came in at 27.4 grams. So 33grams - 27.4 grams = 5.6 grams of ink used. 16.5 / 5.6 =2.94 That's nearly 1/3! So the when the indicator showed 1.3 down, that was pretty darn accurate!!
Excellent observation. Please post what the weights are for 2/3's empty and then empty as marked by the printer if you can. This is good supportive data that no one before you has reported. Good job, jtoolman!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
panos said:
This video shows the most important advantages of the Canadian Method: simple, clean and safe.
The method is called Uncle The Hat's Full Bladder Prostate Dribble method. Appropriately, jtoolman chose Yellow for his demonstration. :lol: