jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
stratman said:
jtoolman said:
This 1/3 down cart came in at 27.4 grams. So 33grams - 27.4 grams = 5.6 grams of ink used. 16.5 / 5.6 =2.94 That's nearly 1/3! So the when the indicator showed 1.3 down, that was pretty darn accurate!!
Excellent observation. Please post what the weights are for 2/3's empty and then empty as marked by the printer if you can. This is good supportive data that no one before you has reported. Good job, jtoolman!
It was there!

"This 1/3 down cart came in at 27.4 grams. " I"ll have to wait till one of the reads "EMPTY" which is against my ways as I always refill before any tank ever reaches empty. But it is important to know. Maybe Mikling would know. My reconditioned empty carts were averaging 16.5 and 16.6 grams.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman said:
panos said:
This video shows the most important advantages of the Canadian Method: simple, clean and safe.
The method is called Uncle The Hat's Full Bladder Prostate Dribble method. Appropriately, jtoolman chose Yellow for his demonstration. :lol:
Hold on a moment if your bladder can take it stratman I didnt invent the dribbling method first, I just copied it but I think the credit should to a guy called Prima if my memory serves me right.:old
I found the dribbling method was a bit slow and messy so I came up with the idea of drilling the hole in the bottom which worked great till my freedom method ll was born.:love
jtoolman "ll have to wait till one of the reads "EMPTY" which is against my ways as I always refill before any tank ever reaches empty I know that it weighed in at 16.5 grams when fully emptied
My cartridges weigh in empty at 17.5 gm because I always weigh them with the little orange shoe clip on..:/
I also change the cartridges before they empty, @ the low ink warning..

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Just made a "Freedom Refill" clip for the PGI-9s. Unfortunately all my carts are full so I have to first print something. A video will follow.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Hold on a moment if your bladder can take it stratman I didnt invent the dribbling method first,
I just copied it but I think the credit should to a guy called Prima if my memory serves me right.:old
Things aren't always named after the inventor. Sometimes it's the best fit. :)

I found the dribbling method was a bit slow and messy so I came up with the idea of drilling the hole in the bottom
Even more reason to name it the Full Bladder Prostate Dribble Method. :gig

We await your video of The Hat's Forced Bottom Entry Method. :ep

OK. I kid no more.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Stop it already,,,, ah shucks,,,, gotta go again!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ok I ran some prints and got the Photo Magenta down to 50% so I figured I'd try the Freedom clip I just made.
I weighed the cart and it was at 25 grams so I fugured 8 would bring it back to 33 grams.
I reset the chip
I loaded 8 ml into a 30 ml syringe using a 4" blunt needle-no air in the syringe.
I have to say that I made a Freedom Loading clip just like the one mikling made. Basically a short stubby needle the just extends through the inner rubber gasket of the cart clip.
So I attached the clip to the cart.
Attached the syringe.
I tried to draw back but just ended up drawing some of the ink that was already in the cart. There no vacuum created at least I did not feel anything.
At that poiint I just said " what the heck " and gently pushed the 8 ml of ink directly into the cart.
It completely went in effortlessly taking just a few seconds.
I disconnected the rig and weighed the cart
It came in at 30.33 Grams. I squeezed the sides, blotted the excess and cleaned the edges of the port.
Inserted cart back inot the printer.
100% nozzle check
I would have rather used a 20ml syringe but I did not have any, only having many 10s one 30 and two 60 plus a old glass beauty!

The Hat, I am sold my friend! This works great!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman Even more reason to name it the Full Bladder Prostate Dribble Method. :gig
I would totally agree with you on the name change but would others. :ya

Thats marvellous news jtoolman
I am glad you have seen at first hand that the silly little thing works great.
It must rate the easiest method for refilling cartridges ever at a cost of nearly nothing.:celebrate
Now for the feature length movie version.. :woot

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well this method takes so little time, I'll have to include lots of preliminary shots and teases like those annoying documentaries on TV till the climatic shot of the 10 -15 seconds of the actual act of refilling the cartridge. Ta Ta!!!!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Here is my second video on refilling PGI-9 carts. This one using the cart clip "Freedom Method" adapter originally designed by our two refilling pioneers, The Hat and mikling.

It's a lot shorter and less long winded but does show just how well the adapter and method works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgQIWLw10M

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jtoolman said:
Here is my second video on refilling PGI-9 carts. This one using the cart clip "Freedom Method" adapter originally designed by our two refilling pioneers, The Hat and mikling.

It's a lot shorter and less long winded but does show just how well the adapter and method works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgQIWLw10M
Another well done video, jtoolman! :thumbsup Now I want a 9500 so I can have fun too. :D

Three things - 1) could you explain how you secured/glued the needle to the cartridge cap; 2) the first time you checked for air bubble in the cartridge, I know and you know that you squeeze the cartridge, but you didn't mention that until later when you were about to suck ink out of the cartridge to bring it to target weight; and 3) you might want to add ghwellsjr, the inventor of the Freedom Method, to your list of refilling pioneers. :hide Then again, you'll also need to credit some Russian (?) who introduced the exit port refill method to the internets, IIRC. :clap

Definitely impressed that your workspace was free of ink spots. This refilling method is fantastic. :woot