Refilling OEM EPSON carts. A newer method.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
"you have to get a feeling for the process". I personally don't have any experience with this process yet, here are just my remarks from watching the FAQ:
- first extract ALL rest of ink
- while cracking you shold STOP the pressure immediatly when you heard the "pop"
In the german FAQ they say that happens mostly between 10 and 5 ml when using the recommended 20ml syringe
- fill in slowly, 10ml in 20sec
- to let air bubbles rise up in the cart, store the refilled cart facing the outlet down for 12hrs and move it gently before putting in the printer, eventually tap it from the side.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/GW0Ae-jJZ-M

First two cracks were not perfect and there was still resistance. The last one broke it as well as the tip. LOL. So sometimes the cracking doesn't go right,,just like you experienced. The pressure from the 20ml squished to near nothing was released and the membrane tore/broke right where the air exits. It was literally an explosion as my wife asked what happened.

I suspect the circular cavity on the other side is to prevent any attempt to pierce the one way valve from the label side. That is the reason for the dual membrane on the label side. These Epson engineers have been real clever about this thing.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
SO it does appear to be a very tricky process and does not become any easier, repeatable, consistent whether it is done by hand as we have or by using the $210.00 jig!

I also broke several syringe tips so don't feel bad, but I did it FAR away from my wife!!!
So the goal is to figure out a method to make this a consistent, repeatable process.
Question for you Mike!

Exactly how are "Remanufactured" Carts, which I assume means a refilled OEM cart with a new label. You often see this. CANON is easy but just how to they do OEM EPSON carts. What method do they use?

I have specifically seen Stylus 1400 Remanufactured carts, where the carts is indeed identical to the original EPSON T079 cart.

I would love to know exactly what they are doing to remanufacture these OEM carts.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I imagine if you stood the jig up properly, and then made another device for the syringe for the compression but limited the travel after it burst the valve it might be OK. The proper jig would have the syringe and cartridge held together with a stop for the syringe travel. One thing though, after the cracking of the valve, the only seal to prevent the leaking back of the ink into the filter box is the outlet seal valve. So always stand these upright after refilling this way. However, in reality it is simply too bothersome with the scale etc for the home refiller IMO. With refillables, you don't need a scale and can see what's going on. A resetter for the real world ( the pricey one) on these is going to run you approx two sets of refillables. Only the refill fanatic will do these things I imagine. Certainly, it's not something for the newbie. If you've got into trouble and so have I, can you imagine a newbie at this game? LOL

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Even the more reliable Rjettek refill valve is more troublesome than using a good ( and the key is good, as there are many really crappy refillable carts out there ) refillable cart. It is minimally invasive and allows refills to the max OEM capacity pretty much aoutomatically.
You are correct that only the real die hard will resort to refilling OEM carts. But I am one of those.
Me, I love some of my refillables and at least for my R2400 and 2200 and R340 and of course the Canons. I will use nothing but my modified and now refillable OEM carts. They work flawlessly all the way to the EMPTY warning.

I am still using refillables of the R1900s, the R2000 or course, the 1400s, R2880 and the one 3800 that still runs on refillables.
The Artisan 720 is still running perfectly on your CISS!

Joe

Last edited:

dlbean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Photo Stylus R2880
Can someone advise me where I can get a chip resetter for the Epson R2880

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Why do that?
Don't drill anything. You will have problems sealing it 100% unless you have some experience!

#1 Reset the cart chip
#2 Remove the top original fill ball
#3 Inject ink till full
#4Plug it with one of the many available Canon cart plugs.

Done!

There are many little extras refinements to the process one can add and there many videos demonstrating the whole process but those are the basic steps required.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks for the education regarding Epson refilling, I can see now why Canon appears to be more popular!:) I would be tempted to drill two small holes in the side of the main chamber and seal them up with a good tape after refilling.
I once did that with an Epson 950 cartridge and ended with a burned out print head, the ink leaked all over the cables and caused a short circuit.
Ouch.. :mad:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OUCH... I was hoping that he had meant CANON carts and certainly NOT EPSON ones.