Refill gone awry

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
@jtoolman, you are the best. Thanks for your obviously getting old explanation of what chips are needed. I understand it now.

To confirm how correct you are, I just had a call from PC and they explained the same thing to me. Because of my lack of understanding they allowed me to cancel my order for carts (because I don't have said chip), but in the process they earned my customer loyalty.

I want to back away from my earlier statement "The third set that I bought will be for flushing the print head when void lines start to appear." I don't know where that came from. I'll use the excuse of my advance age (call me Pro-73 plus). In any case I get it, that's a No, No. As @The Hat points out, it's just not the way to flush a clogged head.

I like the Pro-100 printer very much, but I now have to re-evaluate how to proceed. Do I try to find a used printer that already has 8 Canon carts in it? Do I go and buy 16 new Canon OEM carts? In Canada that's a fairly pricey affair. Considering the kind of stuff I want to print, I will probably do that. I am going to sit down and do some calcs. Jose's video on "how much an image costs" is useful.

Thanks again for all your help.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
EBay is often the place for empty OEM CLI-42/but due to maybe I and this forum, these are becoming rarer by the minute.
Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@kdsdata You might also check out this offer from Octoinkjet UK. I don't know how much cost shipping, customs and tax will add.

Some 3'rd party chips can be resat using a resetter. I tried to reset the chip from one of the compatible CLI-521 cartridges in this post. I used an original REdSETTER for PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges and the chip from the 3'rd party cartridge that is very similar to your G&G catridges behaved like a Canon OEM chip and inserting the cartridge in a printer showed the chip had been resat.

The chip has the same dimensions as a Canon OEM chip, so transfer to a Canon OEM cartridge is easy. Here is a scan of a Canon CLI-521 cartridge with the 3'rd party chip transferred:

inkClub chip on Canon cart.jpg

I cannot promise anything but maybe your G&G CLI-42 chips could work as Canon OEM CLI-42 chips? Chips are coded for both cartridge type and colour, so a chip from a magenta cartridge should only go to another magenta cartridge and so on.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I like the Pro-100 printer very much, but I now have to re-evaluate how to proceed.
Would it not be cheaper to buy another Pro 100 when on special, you’d get a new set of carts, another print head and a replacement printer if you should ever need it, all for the same retail price of a set of new carts...

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/brand-new-canon-pixma-pro-100/6254876062.html

Buy a Pro 100 package with discount for $129, get a set of cartridges, print head and 50 pages of A3+ Semi-Gloss paper, dump the dead printer corpse for another $25. Repeat after a month with a new discount period. Try to sell off print head later for $100 on ebay ?

Alas for klsdata, Canon Canada does not offer these discounts. And even if you bought it across the border you probably wouldn't get the discount because that requires a U.S. address. And you've got to pay somewhere where they accept amex.

Gross ? I can't figure out the logic of this marketing strategy by Canon. Maybe this is all being paid for by Amex... Hmm. no. Ok. i give up.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The Chinese chips on the G&G carts look to be the same dimensions with the same exact mounting holes.
But looks can be deceiving.
They most if not all have a glob of resin covers ng the rear electronic components so NO they are a bit too fat to fit the chip compartments of OEM carts.
They except to receive nice skinny chips and not the fatter ones.
I like the hats proposal a lot!
Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I hadn't noticed, but I have to admit @jtoolman is right. The non-OEM cartridge has the chip covered in a blob of epoxy resin. Here is a scan of an OEM and a non-OEM chip:

oem and non oem chip1.jpg

I transferred the non-OEM chip to a CLI-521 cartridge and the cartridge was accepted in a printer (MP620). But at a closer look I noticed that the chip didn't sit properly on the cartridge. You have to remove a little plastic from the cartridge to get a proper fit of the non-OEM chip. You can scrape away the material using a small knife or use a Dremel or similar with a suitable tool. The material to be removed is marked in red:

oem and non oem chip2.jpg

The non-OEM chip fits the modified cartridge nicely. So I think my idea is still worth a try.

Last edited:

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Peter: Still need to find non-OEM CLI-42 chips that work in a resetter, right ? PC only offers non-OEM cartridges with chips, but not chips alone.

Ebay has 2 or three sellers of one-time chips, but they do not say if those are resettable. There is one "unlimited" chip offer. Couldn't find this discussed on printerknowledge. Wonder if that really works. Would save using the chip resetter. Just don't forget to refill But would ease the process.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Peter: Still need to find non-OEM CLI-42 chips that work in a resetter, right ? .....
No, my suggestion is to test the chips from the G&G cartridges that the OP used, if the cartridges has not been thrown away. See this post. But maybe the chips are also available from Ebay without cartridges? If they are reasonably priced that could also be a solution. That is if they are resettable and show the correct ink level. But only a test can show.