Refill gone awry

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Peter: Still need to find non-OEM CLI-42 chips that work in a resetter, right ? PC only offers non-OEM cartridges with chips, but not chips alone.

THEY ARE NOT CLI-42 chips. They CLI-8 chips.
Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
An inside tip, in the coming near future, there will be CLI-8 cartridges with compatible CLI-42 chips ALREADY properly mounted on Canon OEM CLI-8 carts. To do so, requires a fair amount of dexterity and proficiency and is extremely time consuming. Compatible chips by themselves will also be offered for those wishing to carry this procedure on their own. Note in BOLD, the success of doing this fitting by yourself will be totally dependent on your skill. Note that chips can be damaged by force fitting into a space not allowing the drop in fit. So keep this in mind when acquiring these chips by themselves as they can be mechanically damaged and this risk is to the installer for obvious reasons.

These chips require much more work than a simple swap from OEM to OEM. The cartridge body needs to be carved out in a very precise fashion in order for aftermarket chips to fit. It will require dexterity. Again these are NOT drop in fits. Attempts to mill out the space with machinery were attempted and failed miserably, both on a milling machine as well as on a drill press using a custom ground drill bit. Thus the only method is a time consuming manual process in the hands of a skilled person with a sharp Xacto knife.

The availability of CLI-8 recycled carts is dropping rapidly. As a result, they are both harder to find and costlier to acquire as well. Drying up says it all.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The availability of CLI-8 recycled carts is dropping rapidly. As a result, they are both harder to find and costlier to acquire as well. Drying up says it all.

Is it likely that Canon will stop selling CLI-8 carts anytime soon, effectively making Pro 9000 Mk2 etc. obsolete?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Is it likely that Canon will stop selling CLI-8 carts anytime soon, effectively making Pro 9000 Mk2 etc. obsolete?
I hope not !. Non chipped BCI-6 cartridges for much older printers than the Pro9000 are still widely available so I don't think that they will discontinue the CLI-8 carts suddenly, at least not in the near future, but with Canon you never really know.. :rolleyes:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Canon won’t stop supplying them, but your difficulty will be finding a shop that will, if they’re not selling they won’t stock them, stands to reason, I have two printers that use BCl-6..

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hello all. Reporting back that I had good success with @PeterBJ suggestion about Canon OEM carts from OctoInkjet. I found that there is no concern about postage from the UK to Canada, it is actually "way" cheaper than from the US, easyily 50%, and "faster" for the comparable delivery service. Delivery dates from the UK are fairly short, whereas from the US the low cost services easily adds a week. That's my experience in Canada. Sorry US :)

I received a full set OEM from OctoInkjet, used, and am in the process of flushing them. To be able to start (for me) with all clean carts I did start with Windex and I feel I had good success. The flushed carts look nice clean, almost ready for filling. Actually not that much work, but very satisfying when the carts are nice and white.

Last edited: