Refill gone awry

Cymark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey kdsdata - as a fellow canuck I'll help you out here. Go buy two new sets of canon OEM carts (on ebay they are about $100 usa per set) DO NOT use any other cart in the printer but OEM Canon made carts. The quality as well as the technology in these carts is what keeps the ink flowing properly. You will never experience any of these issues you mentioned in this tread with the inferior carts you tried.

Follow the refilling method that Joe explains in his videos to the letter - happy printing !!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thanks for the plug but the real credit goes to guys like mikling and of course our great Mod, The Hat! They've been playing with Canon printers years before I became a Canon fan boy!
It is due to them and many others that we are able to refill OEM carts and actually reliably use them on our printers.

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I did a video covering this incident so I did use your "Accident" as a precautionary warning to other. Sorry you have to go through this.
Joe

Last edited:

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I have actually been expecting your advice to find Canon OEM carts. On re-reading my post, and watching numerous videos, it sort of pops out. Get the best. It not only makes refilling easier without issues, but they are way less likely to develop sponge problems during use, which can lead to print-head failures.

Thanks for all your advice. I am heading to PC.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@kdsdate, There are no shortcuts if you wish to refill, it does cost quite a bit to get started and penny pinching only leads to endless nightmares and very often print head loss too.

You need to be in the right frame of mind to get started, have all the necessary equipment to hand, but the most important thing of all is a friend called patients, without that your lost.

There is only one way to refill and that is the correct way, anything else and your wasting you time, because you’ll have endless problem like leaks, ink flow issues, cartridge errors and of course the big one, head failure.

Just because you switch to using OEM’s don’t thing for a minute that will solve all your problem they won’t, you also need to refill when the cartridge is showing low ink and not wait till the cartridge is empty...

If you want an easier way to print without a lot of refill problems then get a Pro 10, they can almost be refilled with your eyes shut, it’s that easy and you can run them empty without issues...

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Hi @The Hat. Your advice is well taken. I believe I do have the right frame of mind for refilling.

In one form or another I have been refilling for years, but it has been haphazard (you could read half a..ed). That's why I am doing this go-round, to get a better understanding of the details, to be able to set up better. I want to get to a place where I can print with more freedom from ink-price shock. I have bought 3 sets of oems from pc, and I will use their inks.

When a carts warns a low, I plan to replace all 8 with full carts, then, when convenient, reset and refill all the removed carts in preparation of the next low. I have now enough experience to see that that's the best way. Like you say, it's a bit expensive to start, but the pay-back comes with good refill management. For refilling you want a time and place that is properly set up, with tissues, etc., etc.

The third set that I bought will be for flushing the print head when void lines start to appear. I have some now in the cyan.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Perfect!

:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

I wonder why PC does not offer the package you have (resetter, ink XXoz, refill bottle needles, 3 set of Canon OEM, cleaning fluid) as the "Ultimate Refill Bliss Kit XXoz" together with those instructions:

Fill 2 cartridge sets, swap after printer indicates first cartridge low, reset&refill swapped set later when you have time, use 3rd set for cleaning fluid when void lines appear.

Any other option you're paying more in frustration or work than saving in money.

Maybe the limited # of available OEM clean cartridges is the reason why this solution is not that prominently advertised.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I believe I do have the right frame of mind for refilling.
The third set that I bought will be for flushing the print head when void lines start to appear
@kdsdata, it seems like you’ve got the calling now and will in the future avoid all your previous mistakes, but the one thing you must know, the print head is very capable of looking after itself and needs no intervention on your part.

A set of flushing cartridges should never be necessary if you follow your own instructions of replace all carts when one shows low, and if you every decide to use the flushing carts, only run 1 normal head clean and never a deep head clean...

A Canon print head won’t print with cleaning solution installed and if you try will rarely survive the experience...

Happy Printing... :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
ALL you guys still do not get it!!!!
The PC TOP Refill Kit comes with CLI-8 Carts. NOT CLI-42 carts!!!
You will need CLI-42 CHIPS to transform all those CLI-8 Carts into Disguised CLI-42 Carts.
See the problem here?
You STILL NEED Chips.
From where?
From CLI-42 Carts.
You see the problem here?
This is only advantageous IF you are not capable of do not have the confidence to perform the modification process.
These CLI-8s will already be flushed and modified BUT you will still need THREE sets of CLI-42 CHIPS!!!

Unless I am totally confused here, the last time I checked and actually discussed this very thing on the phone with PC, those carts you get with the TOP Kit STILL NEED CHIPS!

CAPS were used to HAMMER some points through.

Please don't hate me but I am asked this very question every day multiple times and it just gets old!
Take a look at the photo from the site.
Specially the part in RED!!!
Capture.PNG

Joe

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
:th:barnie

Argghhh, yes. Got it now (i hope). Thanks for the hammer. :hide

I was looking at the table at http://precisioncolors.com/PC42cart.html which didn't say eg: CLI-8 cart/CLI-8 chip - and overlooked to read the paragraph 4 of the fine print on top that is explaining it. Oh, and paragraph 5 about aftermarket chips not fitting OEM cartridges *sigh*...