Purging a lot of OEM Canon CLI-8 and Batch-drying

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all,

I only became recently a member, but found valuable info on CLI-8 carts, especially purging and the Durchstich method.

I am purging 100 CLI-8 carts ( lol, there were so many in the box....), using a lot of info from this forum, but added some " nifty " solutions to make life easier and faster, here is the link :

http://www.infento.com/carts/

Hope this can help someone, as the info found
on this forum helped me.

marceltho

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Enjoyed the ingenuity.

Thanks for posting.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That's a lot of work.

I recently found a very easy way to purge Canon OEM dye ink cartridges:

If they are dried out, you need to turn them over and dribble some water into the outlet port to get them wet, just like they would be if they had some wet ink in them.

Fold a paper towel in half four times so that it is 1/16th its original size.
Fold over about 1/4 inch of the last corner that was folded.
Place this thick piece of paper towel into the outlet port.
Wrap the remainder of the paper towel on both sides of the cartridge.
Hold the paper towel in place with a rubber band wrapped many times so that the thickened piece of the paper towel is in good contact with the filter material in the outlet port.
Set it aside for a few hours or overnight.
Here are some pictures to show this process.

Most, if not all of the ink will soak out of the cartridge and into the paper towel. Some cartridges come out pure white and totally clean in one try but it will probably take one repetition to get it completely clean and dry.

If you are concerned about the small amount of ink in the reservoir, you can fill it with water using the German method.

I haven't tried this on pigment cartridges, you can never get them white like the dye cartridges and it is very difficult to know when the are clean.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Although I am a newbe in purging carts, I still prefer to purge by the way I do, as in this way, any possible contamination goes " goes away " from the outlet sponge into the ink chamber, and leaving the cart through the hole that I drilled in the beginning, which I will close afterwards.

HAVING SAID THAT ghwellsjr :

I think your way is an EXCELLENT way to DRY the cart. I did a test yesterday evening after reading your comment, I even left some water ( one third ) in the ink chamber so I could see the level of ink change if the paper towel would suck ink out of the outlet.
WOW, I only turned by back, and the ink chamber was already empty !
Then I took the weight of the cart ( 19 gram ) and put a new towel on the cart for the night. This morning it was only 15 grams....

Here are the pics...Txs ghwellsjr !

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr

When I clean out my pigment cartridges I leave them for a couple of day in a jam jar to drain out the rest of the old ink completely. I check them every few hours and if the water is very murky I empty it out and refill, repeating this several times till water stays clean. See pics ..

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had around 20 PGI-5 carts in the box, these are much more difficult to clean than the CLI-8 carts.
I have an idea, and if I have some time left this week I will try it out, and take some pics.

krish

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Newbie here, would a baby napkin do better job of absorbing than papers?:|

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have changed from babies to printers loooong time ago, but kitchen towel or ( clean ;) ) toilet paper makes no difference to me, although I think the kitchen towel takes more water. You just need good contact between the paper and the outlet.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
marceltho Your article on purging very interesting THANKS I already had a pressure sprayer similar andf have adapted it in a similar way to purge HP 364 carts works well but takes quite a time.

Next stage to find the ingredients that Pharmacist recommended. Not that easy in the U.K. Boots and most Chemists do not stock the isopropyl It is available in spray cans for electrical contact cleaning but this is a very expensive way to obtain it. Anybody know a souce?

barfl2

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
That's a lot of work.

I recently found a very easy way to purge Canon OEM dye ink cartridges:

If they are dried out, you need to turn them over and dribble some water into the outlet port to get them wet, just like they would be if they had some wet ink in them.

Fold a paper towel in half four times so that it is 1/16th its original size.
Fold over about 1/4 inch of the last corner that was folded.
Place this thick piece of paper towel into the outlet port.
Wrap the remainder of the paper towel on both sides of the cartridge.
Hold the paper towel in place with a rubber band wrapped many times so that the thickened piece of the paper towel is in good contact with the filter material in the outlet port.
Set it aside for a few hours or overnight.
Here are some pictures to show this process.

Most, if not all of the ink will soak out of the cartridge and into the paper towel. Some cartridges come out pure white and totally clean in one try but it will probably take one repetition to get it completely clean and dry.

If you are concerned about the small amount of ink in the reservoir, you can fill it with water using the German method.

I haven't tried this on pigment cartridges, you can never get them white like the dye cartridges and it is very difficult to know when the are clean.
This is amazing... Are you still use water to clean the sponge? If not, it is perfect method to use with the German refill because it do not need extra hole required by purge by water method.