Purging a lot of OEM Canon CLI-8 and Batch-drying

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, but it does take a long time so I cheat, I use my vacuum system to get the water into and out of the sponges really fast and then I dry them with the folded paper towels.

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I'll do this with my oem cartridges, I'm now practicing with my ebay set:

4891785150_28cc314b12_z.jpg

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The BIG advantage of purging the way I did is, that I clean the outlet sponge as well, instead of using it as a filter. I had some residue in some carts, and they left through the hole I drilled, and which I afterwards closed with hot glue.
So I only use the kitchen towel to dry the carts, AFTER they are clean.

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
barfl2 said:
... U.K. ... isopropyl ... Anybody know a souce? ...
I bought a bottle from Boots in the UK many years ago, but got some funny looks from them and questions about why I wanted it (as if I would really tell them if I wanted it for chemical warfare!). So my last bottle came from Ebay. Here's one example from many on Ebay UK ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180494028268 ... 2.49 for 250ml inc p&p.

Ian

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
In the US it is available at pharmacies in a few different percentages. I believe they are 70 and 90% .

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Denatured alcohol works great too and is completely anhydrous, no water. Available at any DIY big box store and also Walmart.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The isopropyl is simply rubbing alcohol, it is on the shelf on many stores, I had it at Walmart 70%
The propylene glycol I got at the pharmacy, had to ask for it at the counter. They only have it in bulk ( in Qubec/Canada ), but sold me some if I came back with an empty bottle. Lol, lucky for me there was a dollar store next to the pharmacy :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
barfl2 said:
Next stage to find the ingredients that Pharmacist recommended. Not that easy in the U.K. Boots and most Chemists do not stock the isopropyl It is available in spray cans for electrical contact cleaning but this is a very expensive way to obtain it. Anybody know a souce?
This is the source I've used in the past and it's quite competitive.

RapidElectronics

Remember though that this stuff boils off, is easily breathed in and can explode if you're stupid/dumb/insane enough to use it in enclosed spaces...

I decanted off 50ml into a smaller container and put the larger litre somewhere safer so I'd recommend doing something similar.

This may be a grandma -> egg sucking statement but I'd rather be condescending than lose potential customers (yes, yes, always thinking of me, me, me.. ;))

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
websnail

Are you sure youre not having a d r o p of that stuff yourself in the mornings.. :lol: :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
websnail

Are you sure youre not having a d r o p of that stuff yourself in the mornings.. :lol: :lol:
It's tempting... and after the weekend I've just had I have been more than tempted but I'll stick with real ale I think... :p