Problem with Photo Cyan ink cartridge pulling through - Canon Pixma Pro 10s

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Strange that the MBK nozzle check was OK before and suddenly failed 100%.

From what I've seen the PC and GY issue at the beginning of the thread is probably cartridge related.
It builds up gradually and can be identified at an early stage with a magnifying glass.
It should disappear at once when inserting another cart.

I suggested to clean the carts and refill with the same 3th party ink, since replacing with OEM would mask an additional problem in the printhead (supposing OEM ink can cure it).
There is a reasonable chance it doesn't come back with a thoroughly cleaned cart.

Both cart and printhead issues could have been built up together after 2500 pages.

Reason of the cartridge issue could maybe be found by dissection.

PS: personally I refill (6 years) by dripping on a scale until 32.5g (and squeeze eventual remaining air/foam out), store carts outlet down.
Never had issues with the PRO-9500II, the PRO-10 seems to be less tolerant.

Last edited:

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Strange that the MBK nozzle check was OK before and suddenly failed 100%.

From what I've seen the PC and GY issue at the beginning of the thread is probably cartridge related.
It builds up gradually and can be identified at an early stage with a magnifying glass.
It should disappear at once when inserting another cart.

I suggested to clean the carts and refill with the same 3th party ink, since replacing with OEM would mask an additional problem in the printhead (supposing OEM ink can cure it).
There is a reasonable chance it doesn't come back with a thoroughly cleaned cart.

Both cart and printhead issues could have been built up together after 2500 pages.

Reason of the cartridge issue could maybe be found by dissection.

PS: personally I refill (6 years) by dripping on a scale until 32.5g (and squeeze eventual remaining air/foam out), store carts outlet down.
Never had issues with the PRO-9500II, the PRO-10 seems to be less tolerant.
Hello,

So I carried out @The Hat instructions and ran the nozzle checks this morning. I also found a MBK cartridge filled with 3rd party inks that hadn't been used, so I installed that. Please see the Nozzle Checks attached*

The OEM ink cartridges that I ordered have just arrived so shall I swap them over to them or keep on running cleaning cycles and nozzle checks for the current PC and Yellow to try and make them pull through better?

Thanks again for everyones suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 1st Nozzle Check.jpg
    1st Nozzle Check.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Nozzle Check After 1st Cleaning Cycle.jpg
    Nozzle Check After 1st Cleaning Cycle.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Nozzle Check After MBK Cartridge Change.jpg
    Nozzle Check After MBK Cartridge Change.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Final Nozzle Check.jpg
    Final Nozzle Check.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 254

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If would seem the PC, yellow and grey are now starting to show signs of ink starvation once again, when refilling these carts are you shaking the refill bottles before you commence refilling of the carts, because something is not quite right yet..

You should now install carts that you know to be working perfectly (That includes new ones) and there is no need to do any cleaning cycles yourself because the printer will do them automatically when you change a single cart, question:- have you got a Redsetter ?..
And have you got some of these Refillers, you can get them from OctoInkjet or make them yourself
5128_inkclip9.png

because I reckon you need to empty the Yellow, P Cyan and Grey carts of ink, and refill the carts with window cleaner, then suck in/out the liquid several times and then empty out the liquid. (Rejuvenate the cart sponge)
click to enlarge

Capture99.JPG

I have always preferred to refill my carts with OctoInkjet clip and only top up the carts with the dribble method when necessary..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The missing lines in the MBK will probably become OK sitting overnight, no need for cleaning instructions right now.

You can clearly see in the PC, Y and GY the different pattern of ink starvation.
Confirmation by inserting OEM carts.

PS: I suppose you have the modified clip already, how else you could have rinsed the carts ?
Apparently it didn't help much, continue according to @The Hat's instructions.
I seldom had to abandon a cart, they seem to live forever.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
While nozzle failure cannot be ruled out 100% yet, there is still an ink starvation problem ongoing.

PC, Y, R, GY, CO, and MBK have all shown at least ink starvation. Some have improved and some have changed in demonstrated defect. Some appear within normal limits. Frankly, without a proper flush and refill with proper ink I would not trust any of the cartridges.

Multiple nozzle check color failures that do not improve or do not completely resolve, even with flushed or new cartridges, point to an electrical failure, usually an irreparable print head failure.

Multiple nozzle check color failures that do improve or resolve point to something happening with the ink, the cartridge and/or refilling technique.

If you do not feel strong on your cartridge flushing technique, or you suspect your refill ink is old, dessicated, contaminated, or, in the case of pigment ink, may be too concentrated in pigment particles which may cause clogs, then you should get NEW cartridges, preferably OEM as you can be sure there will be little risk of a malfunctioning cartridge which can further confuse your efforts to diagnose the problem.

By using new cartridges you take an entire variable out of the potential problem list. If the new cartridges do not resolve the issues then the print head is the most likely culprit. It then also gives you time to figure out what caused of the problem:
  • Need to flush or replace cartridges
  • Need new fresh ink
  • Need to review storage and handling of ink
  • Need to review refilling technique.

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Yes, I make sure that I shake the ink bottles before hand and they are stored away in a dry safe place. I also make sure that the needles, clips etc are washed every time after use. I also have a resetter too. I purchased the full kit from OctoInkJet

I cleaned the yellow cartridge with the 'plunge' method last night but only used washing liquid so I will use window cleaner. As I now have a second set of OEM carts, Ill be able to flush all of the others.

If I do another nozzle check and there is no improvement what do you suggest? If unsuccessful does this mean that there is a problem with the printhead? I did order a replacement printhead incase there was an electrical fault.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
This is not an electrical fault.
I've seen much worse recovered, but don't spend all your ink on cleaning cycles.
Canon printheads are made to be replaced one day or another.
Don't do it yet !

Concentrate on the cartridges (starting with PC, Y and GY, the others do not test positive yet ;)) .
This way you can continue to use alternative inks and save much more money than the cost of a printhead.

Last edited:

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
So heres the nozzle check with the new OEM carts installed. I really feel like I'm getting no where :(. Yellow and MBK problem once again.

- Added another image of the print head. Why do the cartridges seem like they are overflowing? Is it something to do with the seal? ***On further inspection, it seems all of the inks are like the image below.***

Attachments

• Nozzle Check with OEM Carts.jpg
    Nozzle Check with OEM Carts.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Inspection of the printhead.JPG
    Inspection of the printhead.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PC and GY are OK.
Except when someone has a better idea I would do a few more nozzle checks.
If no progress launch one normal cleaning.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@rachelambie
If you're using now only new fresh OEM carts. but there's still trouble, logic says that the issue is the printhead. Probably during the last months, for some reason or other, there has been a slow but progressive build up of residue inside the nozzles (sort of arteriosclerosis) that doesn’t affects all colors equally, but at random. Ink doesn’t flows as freely as it should inside the nozzles, hence the faulty nozzle check patterns. A normal cleaning may open a free pass momentarily, only to be clogged again after a few prints,

I’m re-reading now an Ellery Queen novel where one of the main characters is a clever girl called Patience Thumm. I’m not digressing (not too much, anyway :rolleyes: ). Patience is the key in the book and here. In all likelihood your printhead can be restored to full working condition if you let her help you.

Basically I’d follow the advice given by other members of this forum : leave aside the refilled carts for the moment. Use the fresh OEM carts to run nozzle checks. Let sit the printer overnight; try another check; see the improvements, if any, perform a normal cleaning; wait. nozzle check again,.etc..
With a bit of luck, our friend Patience will solve the problem.
Anyway, ordering a new printhead was a wise move. If the current one can’t be restored you’ll need the new one. If it’s fixed, you’ll have a spare for the future, in case Canon decides to discontinue this printhead, which I’m afraid they will do soon.

As for the origin of the problem, that’s for the experts to say.
In my non expert opinion, it weren’t the cartridges (i.e. clogged sponges). PGI-72 are basically spongeless carts, with only a thin felt pad at the outlet. This pad can be easily cleaned with a refill clip, a syringe and cleaning solution, as it has been said here. I’m inclined to blame in part your refilling technique. Having only one set of carts isn’t a good idea. Probably the ink plays a role too. As @palombian said, the Pro10 seems to be more fussy than other models in this aspect.

Best of luck with that stubborn printer. :)

Latest posts