Problem with Photo Cyan ink cartridge pulling through - Canon Pixma Pro 10s

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I would wait to take other measures until the purge system works as @The Hat described: no fluid should stay there.

IMO no need to pull the power plug, just open the top and push the button as you change carts, you can access the purge system this way with a long syringe and spray Windex (or water with a few drops of ammonia, this seems to dissolve the ink) on top of the purge pads.
Let it soak overnight.

Since 8 out of 10 colours are OK, don't touch them, try to clean a PC and GY cart thoroughly as described and refill it again with Octoinkjet ink.
As you experienced it will work again.
Launch a nozzle check every morning and verify with a magnifying glass, you must see a regular dot pattern and no sign of swipes whatsoever.

Last edited:

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
I would wait to take other measures until the purge system works as @The Hat described: no fluid should stay there.

IMO no need to pull the power plug, just open the top and push the button as you change carts, you can access the purge system this way with a long syringe and spray Windex (or water with a few drops of ammonia, this seems to dissolve the ink) on top of the purge pads.
Let it soak overnight.

Since 8 out of 10 colours are OK, don't touch them, try to clean a PC and GY cart thoroughly as described and refill it again with Octoinkjet ink.
As you experienced it will work again.
Launch a nozzle check every morning and verify with a magnifying glass, you must see a regular dot pattern and no sign of swipes whatsoever.

Hello,
So I cleaned the PC and GY cartridges throughout as requested and refilled them with Octoink. I also sprayed window cleaner on the absorber pads and left them overnight. Again the solution hardly absorbed.

I ran more nozzle checks and then the yellow wasn't pulling through. When I checked the cartridge, it had leaked into the printhead. I then took the cartridge out and cleaned it as above. I also wiped around the part where the yellow cart sits within the printhead with a q-tip. I then ran three more nozzle checks. On the 1st Nozzle Check the CO and MBK had disappeared. CO and MBK came back slightly on the 2nd but became worse again on the 3rd test. See Images attached. Do you have an idea what could be causing these issues?

Attachments

• 3rd Nozzle Check.JPG
    3rd Nozzle Check.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 2nd Nozzle Check.JPG
    2nd Nozzle Check.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 276
  • 1st Nozzle Check.JPG
    1st Nozzle Check.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 281

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Positive is that PC and GY are OK.
I am afraid the printhead is swimming in the ink pads and the solution is replacing the ink in the nozzles (this was already visible in the previous post).

I checked by spraying some demineralised water on the pads of my own printer: when switching off I hear the purge pump running and after switching on the water is gone.

Pass to @The Hat again ...

Last edited:

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Ive also attached an image of the inside, if it helps. Sorry its not of the best quality.

Attachments

• IMG_3669 2.jpg
    IMG_3669 2.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 282

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Pass to @The Hat again ...
You may be in trouble with your purge unit, because any liquid remaining there suggests the outlet tubing and or purge unit itself is blocked with old ink.

At this stage I’d try pouring a hot water at 40c mix of Fairy liquid onto the purge unit and leave to stand, if it doesn’t drain after ten minutes switch off and power the printer on again, then try the same procedure again.

I reckon you may need to completely purge the MBK cart because it’s failing to deliver enough ink even for a nozzle check, this MBK problem could be cause by the poor performing purge unit..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Messages are crossing but let's forget the purge pads for a while.

Attached a nozzle check of the PRO-10.
See the CO.

Attachments

• PRO-10_nozzlecheck.jpg
    PRO-10_nozzlecheck.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 272

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
This seems OK to me, I do not see water on the pads.

The solution disappeared once I preformed the Nozzle Check several times. As for the CO, I usually do not have a problem with this cart, so I'm unsure why it is starting to :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
As for the CO, I usually do not have a problem with this cart, so I'm unsure why it is starting to
It’s not the "Co" that is not printing, it’s working fine, the background colour behind it is the issue, it’s most likely the MBK because it’s the only one having problems..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The solution disappeared once I preformed the Nozzle Check several times. As for the CO, I usually do not have a problem with this cart, so I'm unsure why it is starting to :(

Good news, the purge system is draining again.
Perhaps apply (demineralised) water a few times to rinse further.

The CO nozzle check is made by overprinting two blocks on a black background.
There is nothing wrong with the CO as you can see on nozzle check 1.
It will be OK together with the MBK.
Launch a cleaning of group 2 (a normal one, avoid deep cleanings as the plague).

Latest posts