Problem with Photo Cyan ink cartridge pulling through - Canon Pixma Pro 10s

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Good news, the purge system is draining again.
Perhaps apply (demineralised) water a few times to rinse further.

The CO nozzle check is made by overprinting two blocks on a black background.
There is nothing wrong with the CO as you can see on nozzle check 1.
It will be OK together with the MBK.
Launch a cleaning of group 2 (a normal one, avoid deep cleanings as the plague).

Hi, So I purged the cart and unit as @The Hat suggested and also ran the cleaning for group 2. I ran another nozzle check afterwards and its not showing the MBK.

Attachments

• Nozzle Check after cleaning.JPG
    Nozzle Check after cleaning.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 378

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hi, So I purged the cart and unit as @The Hat suggested and also ran the cleaning for group 2. I ran another nozzle check afterwards and its not showing the MBK.

Then you should clean the MBK as the other carts.

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
I flushed the cartridge also and it seemed clean enough to refill with ink. I shall do this again but with pharmacists steps included and leave overnight.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Question:- have you got more than one complete set of cartridges ?..

I would suggest you purchase a new MBK cart and see if you can get a complete and good nozzle check, it doesn’t have to be an OEM cart, a cheap compatible will do for testing purposes..

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Question:- have you got more than one complete set of cartridges ?..

I would suggest you purchase a new MBK cart and see if you can get a complete and good nozzle check, it doesn’t have to be an OEM cart, a cheap compatible will do for testing purposes..

Unfortunately not but I have another full set of OEM cartridges on the way.
After cleaning the MBK cartridge and leaving it over night, I reinstalled it this morning and did a nozzle check. Again, the MBK didn't pull through and neither did the yellow again.

This is what I saw when I inspected the print head. MBK also has ink sitting on top, worst than the yellow.

Attachments

• Printhead - yellow.JPG
    Printhead - yellow.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Nozzle Check.JPG
    Nozzle Check.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 347

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
After cleaning the MBK cartridge and leaving it over night, I reinstalled it this morning and did a nozzle check. Again, the MBK didn't pull through and neither did the yellow again.
Sorry for the reply being long...
From what I can tell, you are having mutable problems not just one, I was earlier concentrating on your purge unit not functioning properly buy you said that's ok but is it. !

Then you tell me you only have one set of carts, well leaving your print head without carts will also cause much the same issues as a poor performing purge unit will.

You can’t leave the ink inlets without carts for long periods of time without them drying out and causing ink starvation problems for the nozzles, so we will have to address both issues together.

The blank MBK I can understand because you’d left the cart out overnight, but the yellow not printing for the morning nozzle check is a different matter, there is something else causing all these issues, and I reckon it can only be the purge unit.

Until you get a new MBK cart that we know that works, I recommend you remove all the carts and cap them with the orange shoe clip and leave them aside, then remover the print head so you can give it an external clean..

Place the head in a plastic dish with 5 cm of warm water mix of washing up liquid, make sure to cover all the ink inlets and leave it to stand for an hour, then repeat again for another hour, then remove the head and run tap water onto the ink inlets for a minute or so, then put it back to soak in window cleaner this time for 5 minutes.

Now this is important, wrap in a cloth and shake the excess liquid off for a few seconds and then place the head still wrapped in the cloth in a warm place for several hours to completely dry.

You can while waiting flood the purge unit and watch to see if it drains straight away, then close the lid and let the carriage return to its resting position on the purge unit, I recommend you do that several time to be sure the purge unit is sucking and draining properly.

The best way to check is after several washes open the lid and examine the purge pads they should now be clear of any ink and might even be white, now all you have to do is wait till the print head is thoroughly dry to reinsert. (Try running a head clean)

Before placing the print head back into the printer, dribble a little window cleaner onto the ink inlets and then put in the carts, close the lid and wait till the printer is quiet then run a nozzle check, this should now be perfect..

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
From what I can tell, you are having mutable problems not just one, I was earlier concentrating on your purge unit not functioning properly buy you said that's ok but is it. !

Then you tell me you only have one set of carts, well leaving your print head without carts will also cause much the same issues as a poor performing purge unit will.

You can’t leave the ink inlets without carts for long periods of time without them drying out and causing ink starvation problems for the nozzles, so we will have to address both issues together.

The blank MBK I can understand because you’d left the cart out overnight, but the yellow not printing for the morning nozzle check is a different matter, there is something else causing all these issues, and I reckon it can only be the purge unit.

Until you get a new MBK cart that we know that works, I recommend you remove all the carts and cap them with the orange shoe clip and leave them aside, then remover the print head so you can give it an external clean..

Place the head in a plastic dish with 5 cm of warm water mix of washing up liquid, make sure to cover all the ink inlets and leave it to stand for an hour, then repeat again for another hour, then remove the head and run tap water onto the ink inlets for a minute or so, then put it back to soak in window cleaner this time for 5 minutes.

Now this is important, wrap in a cloth and shake the excess liquid off for a few seconds and then place the head still wrapped in the cloth in a warm place for several hours to completely dry.

You can while waiting flood the purge unit and watch to see if it drains straight away, then close the lid and let the carriage return to its resting position on the purge unit, I recommend you do that several time to be sure the purge unit is sucking and draining properly.

The best way to check is after several washes open the lid and examine the purge pads they should now be clear of any ink and might even be white, now all you have to do is wait till the print head is thoroughly dry to reinsert. (Try running a head clean)

Before placing the print head back into the printer, dribble a little window cleaner onto the ink inlets and then put in the carts, close the lid and wait till the printer is quiet then run a nozzle check, this should now be perfect..

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I shall follow your instructions and report back. Fingers crossed this will work.

rachelambie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s

When I flood the purge unit, the water with liquid just seems to sit on top of the pads. When I turn the canon printer off, it then looks as if it is draining the purge unit. Is it supposed to do it this way, or should it have drained already?

Sorry about the many questions. I'm very new to this!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
When I flood the purge unit, the water with liquid just seems to sit on top of the pads. When I turn the canon printer off, it then looks as if it is draining the purge unit. Is it supposed to do it this way, or should it have drained already?

Sorry about the many questions. I'm very new to this!

It behaved the same as you described in my printer, your purge unit works.
The purge pump is of the peristaltic type, simply a roller passing over a section of the draining tubes.
So when the pump stands still and the roller presses on the tube I don't think it is abnormal the sprayed liquid does not drain from its own.
As you can see on your photo the ink pads are located in rubber cups sealing the printhead in resting position from drying out. By this the purge pump can suck ink through the printhead during a cleaning cycle.
You also see a white plastic wiper that cleans the underneath of the printhead.
These parts should be clean and free from dried ink.
As far as I can see it is the case in your printer.

I would search the reason elsewhere.
As warned on the label inside, you should not leave the printhead without carts (or carts without a clip).
When you don't have a replacement cart ready, exceptionally you can remove one at the time to refill (if you can do it within one or two minutes).

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
From the looks of it, the simplest and solution readily at hand is to put in a set of new OEM tanks with OEM ink and then perform a head clean. Even if not perfect at that point, I would then proceed to perform some very light printing and see if it improves. Make the printing intermittent spaced out with periods of rest in between. As Palombian had indicated, it appears the purge units are in fact working OK. That leaves, printhead, tanks and ink and also refill method. Or a combination. You will discover what is the issue soon enough.

I'd seen this before in my ink development and testing during 2017 only OEM inks at that point could cure this by performing some cleaning action during printing. There is now a possibility that the waterpik might also work

Latest posts