Pro-100. - Still Having Problems With Displayed Ink Levels

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Was it V 1.1 or V 1.02 the latter been the upgrade.
Back away from the Christmas grog, my friend. You made your former formers into your latter latters. :barnie

Merry Christmas! :hugs

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You still have to get by the $64,000 question, Which firmware Version do you have on your Pro 100 ?..

Here is a question for you Roy:- When you disabled your ink monitoring and later got the red X over that cartridge, did you at any time go beyond that point when the red X was no longer appearing over that cartridge but a blue ? instead.

Bithead / Mikling ? Any chance of a few photos for our competition…. :ya
It is the former, 1.1

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I was toasting your good health all day …:drool :plbb :ya
To your health, sir!

smileys-drinking-beer.gif

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
For the Pro-100 it works. Follow the button press sequence to put the printer into service mode then run the service tool.

I am running Win 7, 64 bit so I ran Service Tool V3200 and worked as advertised. I just ran the print tests, did not try any resets.

After I was done, turn off the printer then print a photo. It had returned to 'normal' and printed the photo.

It is the former, 1.1
This procedure may not work with the newer firmware; someone will have to try it first. :woot
milking said:
There is a destination setting on the service tool.
Any ideas about that? will this convert a NA printer to EU. This will get around the regional chips issue.
Changing the region normally doesn’t alter the printers’ preferences for the default original chips, but again someone would have to try it for us to be certain. !

There are something’s in the Service Tool that cannot be changed, PeterBJ would be the best man to ask about the different functions of the Service Tools. :idunno

O' Thanks for the Photo Mike ..:thumbsup

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
You still have to get by the $64,000 question, Which firmware Version do you have on your Pro 100 ?..

Here is a question for you Roy:- When you disabled your ink monitoring and later got the red X over that cartridge, did you at any time go beyond that point when the red X was no longer appearing over that cartridge but a blue ? instead.

Bithead / Mikling ? Any chance of a few photos for our competition…. :ya

Oh Boy, a skill testing question from Mr "The hat".

Rather like being in the Headmaster's study! Hope I pass.

It was around September when I disabled the ink monitoring, and because I was not expecting anything untoward, did not pay too much attention to the sequence of events.

My recollection is that I kept operating until the "change cartridge or disable" warning appeared, at which point I followed the disable procedure listed on the screen. Cannot recall the colours, but also think I would have remembered a blue message as red seems the more normal colour for this type of message..

I do recall that there seemed to be two disable warnings, before you could actually disable. I remember thinking it was Canon "covering their butt", as the procedure exonerates them from head damage.

If I was in the US I could respectfully "plead the fifth" for the memory lapse. Seeing as I'm not, I will just have to explain that when you get old and feeble like me, the memory is the second thing to go. Can't remember the first to go, but an older friend tells me he thinks it is something to do with the fact that he thinks sex is the number that follows five. :ya:ya

RS

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is a destination setting on the service tool.
Any ideas about that? will this convert a NA printer to EU. This will get around the regional chips issue.
The change of the region setting using a service tool does not seem to change the region of the needed cartridges. See this, posts #84 to 89 incl: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/page-9#post-49871

There has been a few reports of successful cartridge region change using an original redsetter: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/tool-to-reset-region-of-canon-ink-tanks.6999/ and: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mp640-uk-for-use-in-usa.6041/

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
An update to this. Further use and testing is indicating that the "stuck" level is 50%. So instead of the stuck at 80%, it drops further to 50% and thereafter. There appears to be some minor intermediate steps between the 100% and 50%, one as mentioned looks to be 80% and another minor shift to maybe 75% and thereafter to 50%. Where it simply sits as long as the optical sensor is not triggered.
Otherwise, the workings and logic of the stuck bits appear to hold. Two cartridges were tested that made the journey from yellow warning to red warning in a normal fashion and then reset. The others remain stuck at 50%.
I'm now close to 98% sure of this behavior.

If anyone made bets that this situation does not hold prepare to save some money to pay the bets.

If this behavior holds, you can possibly end up using this situation similar to non chipped printers or just resetting one or so per cycle and the optical sensor is still there.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So let me get this straight, you’re saying that the chip gets stuck at 50% and so you can refill the cartridge as many time as you like and you’ll get no further warnings,( Refill before low ink) am I correct.

Now I don’t know about any bets but your assumptions are incorrect and on or about your third refill the printer will throw up a wobbly with an out of ink warning as sure as night follows day.

I tried that before and I also taught I had cracked it too, but the EPROM on the printer got wise to it and stop me in my tracks. :oops:

Time will tell all..:clap

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You will get a warning if the reservoir is empty.
This is not the same as the standard printers because Canon's firmware on the Pro-100 modifies the chip when you disable ink management on the Pro-100...That is the stuck bits that are forcing the main counter to be sticky on the way down are stuck permanently. The yellow warning to empty counter which looks like it takes up separate memory space, has been left alone. Don't count on this being so in future firmware, it appears to be an oversight on the part of Canon's engineers. So caution on firmware updates.

There are always new things to learn. This could be one of them.

Time is in fact telling because I have been testing for this for a while. I imagine in a month, I will say definitively when the time arrives. Remember this only applies to the Pro-100 and has implications on the Pro-10. I have been going over this aspect with redsetter to cover this issue safely.