Pro-100. - Still Having Problems With Displayed Ink Levels

DrDon65

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Joe, Back in December you indicated that you had problems printing with reset carts after downloading My Image Garden Premium form Canon. Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Did you try removing the software and then reloading the non premium version that came with the printer? Also did it hinder printing from Canon's Print Studio Pro plugin for lightroom and photoshop?

Thx
Don

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Joe, Back in December you indicated that you had problems printing with reset carts after downloading My Image Garden Premium form Canon. Did you ever find a solution to this problem? Did you try removing the software and then reloading the non premium version that came with the printer? Also did it hinder printing from Canon's Print Studio Pro plugin for lightroom and photoshop?

Thx
Don
It may be related to "premium content" error 4100. It is probably triggered when the chip S/N is negatively validated on Canon's server :(

Ł.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It seems that to get access to Canon's Creative Park Premium, you must use new OEM cartridges, at least ink level must not be disabled. But how about resat OEM cartridges? Normally a resat cartridge should be indistinguishable from a new OEM cartridge, but earlier posts in this thread suggests that this might not be so with the CLI-42 cartridges.

I would not install the Creative Park Premium software nor visit the Creative Park Premium website. If Canon can remotely read the content of the EEPROM, I guess they can also write to it, maybe update firmware to make resat cartridges not valid or block access to service mode?

Another possible cause of the ink level indicating problems could be that Canon has introduced a new type of cartridge, the setup cartridge. The use of the setup cartridges is mandatory when installing the printer for the first time. After the setup cartridges are used up, you are supposed to replace them with regular cartridges.

So even if the capacities are the same for the CLI-42 setup cartridges and the CLI-42 regular cartridges, the chips must contain different info.

Has anybody tested how the regular cartridges behave when resat, do they show correct ink levels?

As the printer logs cartridge changes, an easy way of detecting refill would be continued use of setup cartridges, when regular cartridges should be expected.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have asked the very same question before and never got the answer to that.

I suspect the setup cartridges have a slightly different chip on them and that’s what marks them as setup.
My take on it.

Once installed the EEPROM keeps a record of all cartridge setup codes and until it receives newly purchased cartridges then this code will remain and this presumably is what’s been read by Canon remotely..

Again I'm another one who would never use this program, it’s not much better than HP’s snooping on you.

The jury’s still out as far as I’m concerned because I reckon Canon has the capability of reading your print driver or file system each time you use your printer..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The jury’s still out as far as I’m concerned because I reckon Canon has the capability of reading your print driver or file system each time you use your printer..
How about blocking Canon in your firewall? For example, I use Norton Internet Security. You can set program specific firewall rules to block an application from phoning home.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
How about blocking Canon in your firewall? For example, I use Norton Internet Security. You can set program specific firewall rules to block an application from phoning home.
Yes that might work but remember then the application you want to run won’t work either.

I only said they have the capability, I didn’t say they use it wily nily, the only time that I am aware of it working is when you install a new print driver from their website and when you want to use a program just like “Creative Park Premium”

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
IF...you can figure out what the application is...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes that might work but remember then the application you want to run won’t work either.
The word processing app on my Kindle Fire HDX tablet required me to be connected to the internet to work. Odd since you can save a document locally on the tablet.

I have blocked applications from phoning home and they have functioned fine otherwise. I have run across the rare application that wants all its Services on in order to function. The vast majority of apps I have tried/used can have phone home, eg 'check for updates', turned off and still function. Blocking the application from phoning home at the level of the firewall is different than turning off a Service.

Does the Canon firmware/software require connecting with a Canon server to function even after installation is completed? This would be very, very crappy of Canon and difficult to negotiate on printers that can perform various functions, eg copy/print from USB/etc, without the computer even turned on let alone an internet connection established.

Are you thinking about an 'check for updates' function?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
IF...you can figure out what the application is...
If an application phones home then your firewall has likely recorded it and, depending on the firewall's functionality, you should be able to block outbound transmissions. Norton uses application names to identify potential outbound transmitting applications, so that's straight forward.

Another way of preventing certain outbound transmissions would be stopping Services via Task Manager in Windows. These may be cryptic to figure out, though doing a Google search on an unknown Service usually solves the mystery.

I use O&O applications and they like to load at boot and monitor for updates and/or perform background functions I do not want. I turn off a Service or two to prevent them taking up RAM, CPU clock cycles, and perform hard drive functions. I restart the Services only when I am going to use the applications. Without restarting these Services the applications will not function. No biggie as long as you restart the Services when needed.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You have to be online for ANY premium content. You can use the application but you just can't use premium content PERIOD!!!

Will that change if I install Brand new Non Setup cart? Maybe but the truth is, there is nothing in that application that is that great for me to go out at spend $125!
Joe