Pro-100. - Still Having Problems With Displayed Ink Levels

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You have to be online for ANY premium content. You can use the application but you just can't use premium content PERIOD!!!

Will that change if I install Brand new Non Setup cart? Maybe but the truth is,
there is nothing in that application that is that great for me to go out at spend $125!
Joe
:thumbsup The printer functions as expected if not connected to the internet. It is the server-based software application that cannot be used if you are not online.

I was more concerned about the stories I've heard, like from The Hat, about firmware upgrades that alter the function or accessibility of the printer. Or any data about my printer sent to Canon that I do not initiate and agree to at that specific point in time. That would be something I would want to block.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well.... they are spying into your printer and identifying that you have altered Set up Carts. Meaning you reset them.
As you try to use any of the premium content there is a delay while they take a peek at your printer's firmware? Then you get the sad news.

If you were to use that software before you perform the evil deed to your setup carts, I assume you would have access to the premium content which is really bleh anyway!!

If I ever decide to buy a set of OEM carts ( it would have to be one hell of a deal though ) I would do ahead and the theory.

Even if you were able to block whatever files does the calling "Home" it simply would fail because it MUST communicate with the server to check on whether you are a good boy /girl and using unaltered OEM carts.

Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Even if you were able to block whatever files does the calling "Home" it simply would fail because it MUST communicate with the server to check on whether you are a good boy /girl and using unaltered OEM carts.
I'm sure Canon is already aware they carefully here in the USA due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. While the language is specific to automobiles, the principle may apply to any consumer good that is under warranty.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

It is doubtful that Canon could prove harm to using their software because you used aftermarket kit. Damage to a printer, however, is a different proposition.

Maybe an industrious attorney on the forum would like to bring a class action lawsuit against Canon for holding consumers ransom or else not use the software? (probably not as the return on investment would be miniscule if even possible in the first place)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Is this the explanation for the Pro 100 low cost sales trap. Canon believe they have refilling all wrapped up?

Once they have sold all the available stock of printers, they probably have several more software devices up their sleeve that they will switch on at intervals in the future! Just to frustrate the refillers!:)

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If blocking access to Canon's Creative Park Premium their best attempt at discouraging us from refilling, they are not really trying very hard are they?
But please don't get any more ideas CANON!
Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman said:
I was more concerned about the stories I've heard, like from The Hat, about firmware upgrades that alter the function or accessibility of the printer.
I didn’t say that Canon can update your firmware online; (They can't) they usually leave that to the guys sitting in front of their own computers to do that for them. (Easy peasy) :oops:

Canon don’t read your hard drive but it does read data from any Canon print driver you may have on your hard drive when you install a new print driver while online.
stratman said:
I'm sure Canon is already aware they carefully here in the USA due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. While the language is specific to automobiles, the principle may apply to any consumer good that is under warranty.
It is doubtful that Canon could prove harm to using their software because you used aftermarket kit. Damage to a printer, however, is a different proposition..

While it’s true that we do own the printer :hugs but we don’t have any claim to the software that runs it, so Canon will alter that in any way they see fit to prevent us (The owners) from using products/items that are not legitimately meant to be used.

They don’t and can’t stop us using the printer in the way it was intended to be used but they can interfere, alter and make it down right difficult for us to use 3rd party inks where ever possible, just never admit to refilling your own cartridges..:(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
They don’t and can’t stop us using the printer in the way it was intended to be used but they can interfere, alter and make it down right difficult for us to use 3rd party inks where ever possible, just never admit to refilling your own cartridges..:(
What happens in the USA may be different than where you reside. The US-based Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents OEM manufacturers from screwing the public when 3rd party parts and mechanics work on warrantied vehicles. Just because it has not been applied in a court in the US is not proof of the Act's reach beyond the automobile industry.

It is a fine line Canon must walk in the US with regards to hindering use of 3rd party cartridges and inks regardless of warranty. However, I would not be surprised if Canon bean counters have researched the potential liability in the event of a class action lawsuit for refusal to provide warranty services for customers who use 3rd party products in their printers. The likelihood of such a lawsuit is low since most consumers, and importantly attorneys, have neither the motivation nor the money to dedicate to such an action that would result in little monetary award.

Ever wonder why the chip resetter folks have not been sued by Canon? IIRC, aftermarket ink manufacturers have been threatened -- cease and desist and/or sued -- by OEM printer manufacturers over too close a match to OEM inks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It is a fine line Canon must walk in the US with regards to hindering use of 3rd party cartridges and inks regardless of warranty. However, I would not be surprised if Canon bean counters have researched the potential liability in the event of a class action lawsuit for refusal to provide warranty services for customers who use 3rd party products in their printers..
The thin blue line here is that they don’t actually prevent you from using 3rd party ink or compatibles but they sure as hell make life difficult for you when you do.. :smack

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
... they sure as hell make life difficult for you when you do.. :smack
I 100% support Canon in doing this. They have a right to protect their interests. If any one of us were the creator of these products we would be doing much the similar. Not that I am happy with all of it but I do respect it.

The ability to protect your property, even in the pursuit of financial gain, is the cornerstone of encouraging industry and innovation. It is one of the defining characteristics of a free society.

The same applies to the aftermarket ink industry -- I 100% support it.

Last edited:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Hey everyone. I have never used those premium Canon apps, but they loaded onto my computer when I installed the printer. Should I remove that stuff to be on the safe side? All I use in Light Room.

On a side note: Stratman, I just noticed your Avator. That reminds me of my brother. For some reason, he like sticking butter knives in wall outlets - as a kid.

Thanks...Al