Canon MP640 UK for use in USA

lightweight

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,
I hope someone can help me with my very first post.
I have moved from the UK to the US and brought my MP640 printer along for the ride. I assumed it would work. How silly of me.
Can anyone tell me if and how I can get my UK model to accept US ink, ie changing from 521 to 221.
I have seen a couple of posts that refer to chaning the firmware but I have not been able to find out how to do this or where to get the US firmware. I am not worried about losing the CD print as I never use that anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Welcome to the Forum.

I have two Mp640's.

You can refill your 520 and 521's easily.

Search the refill forum for artilcles on top fill and german or durchstich methods. Both methods work and it's really a matter of preference, though you will find ardent supporters of each method on here ;)

You can refill your existing original canon carts, or if you have bought compatibles I strongly recommend ditching them when empty, and buying a set of original canon carts which can be refilled many times and work without any of the clogging that tends to occur with compatibles.

There are several excellent quality ink suppliers in US, and you can fill at a fraction of the cost of OEM carts.

Whatever you do, be sure not to buy cheap ink, and do not use a CISS system on your 640.

Simples :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lightweight Can anyone tell me if and how I can get my UK model to accept US ink, ie changing from 521 to 221.
Your problem is easily solved so long as you have kept your empty 520s.
I will assume that you have gotten yourself a set of 220s and found they wont work in your printer,
then just change the chips from your old 520 cartridge onto your new 220 cartridge and your problem is now solved as I said easy..
Happy printing.. :thumbsup

lightweight

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
I will try the chip swap now.

Thanks

lightweight

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The chip swap worked. Now I just need to reset the ink levels.
Thanks

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Best done with a resetter.

If you don't have one they are easily obtained on ebay or from some of the ink suppliers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Make sure you get a European one suitable for the 520s chip..:thumbsup

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've had a couple of customers with the reverse problem and it seems you can use a REdSETTER to reset 220/221 chips to turn them into 520/521 versions using the 520/521 resetter. I have no idea if this will work with other chip resetters but it has this way round so no reason it shouldn't work the way you need.