Printing Various Size Photos to 8x10/Fill letter size AUTOMATICALLY?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The guide is just that -- a guide, and has utility as a reference for the non-professional. Experience is the best guide.

I have used Qimage and it does a great job with interpolating images for printing and worth the price if you need it. At some point, though, it is not a miracle worker. Expectation should be tempered sometimes.

@oroblec --- Qimage has a 14 Day free trial.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm making 24x40 inch prints with a dpi down to 25 if I don't have more, it all depends - on the viewing distance, on the image itself whether you still get a pleasing printout, the dpi of a printout is not the most important quality indicator. If you have more pixels available it's fine - sure but don't get too much focussed just on the dpi numbers. If you want to count leaves on a tree in a landscape image then you need definitely much more.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would have to disagree with that "Photo printing guide", I used my first Digital camera back in 96 with .3 Megapixel giving 640 x 480 and my A5 prints were and looked good today without having the pixels visible.

Technical term “Good image” and all the professional photographers at that time said:- Digital will never match or come anywhere near the film cameras quality, and the darkroom would always remain King, I wonder where they are all now ?
Probably still in the dark Pixelated... :duc

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I would have to disagree with that "Photo printing guide", I used my first Digital camera back in 96 with .3 Megapixel giving 640 x 480 and my A5 prints were and looked good today without having the pixels visible.
How did those same images look printed as A3 or A2 prints?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
How did those same images look printed as A3 or A2 prints?
As the man said "Crap..."
P.S. I never tried anything bigger than A5, I only had an A4 machine at that time, which was also crap..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As the man said "Crap..."
Thank goodness you answered that way! Otherwise I would be having the good Mrs. The Hat take you to the Optometrist for an eye exam post haste. :old

That is why the PPI guide exists - as a reference to the inexperienced.

The DPI of your printer is independent of the PPI of the digital image and is another variable that can be manipulated in producing the final outcome of the printed image.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
That is why the PPI guide exists - as a reference to the inexperienced.
The DPI of your printer is independent of the PPI of the digital image
I was never to bothered by PPI because I came from the old school of DPI and LPI, so the transition was unnoticeable and was just accepted by me.

Photoshop is by best friend for that very reason...

oroblec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pro-10 - Epson L1800
Old School those day we drilled the cartridges to put ink on can someone tell me the difference between dpi and ppi in resumen.