Print problem with Canon i950

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Granddad - can the ink starvation toward the end of the print also be from a constricted air vent that causes the internal air pressure to diminish as the photo prints? This could equalize between prints when there is no demand for flow and then start the cycle over with the next print with adequate flow at the top of the next print.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Fotofreek,

Absolutely - good point! Anything that makes it hard for the ink pickup to pull ink from the cart can starve the nozzles. It is only the surface tension of the ink at the exit of the nozzles that pulls ink into the ink pickup, so the ink can't generate a lot of suction to overcome any kind of a blockage.

It is easy to check for blockage - hold the cart over a paper towel and lightly blow into the vent. Ink should drip from the exit. Test this on a cart that works well to get an idea of how much pressure is required for a "good" cart, then test your suspect cart. If the vent is blocked to the extent that it is causing the problem, it will be very difficult to get the ink to drip at 1 drop/second or greater. If the filter/sponge are the problem, it will take extra pressure, but the ink will flow rapidly once it starts.

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I brought and installed new magenta and photo magenta carts. Unfortunately, the problem persists. I'm now going to clean the printhead again.

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 - I am really impressed that you have developed such an extraordinary ability to analyze color through separating the color channels. I work in media for the Web, but I have to confess that you are going into territories that are very new and unfamiliar to me - I'm trying to learn and understand all of what you have been explaining!

Having replaced both the magenta and photo-magenta carts with new ones, I'm feeling that the problem is not with the carts. I used air-pressure again to clean the printhead and then ran it under hot water for several minutes. Used the air-pressure again followed by the printer's cleaning and nozzle check utility. When I printed a photo, there was a slight improvement in the overall tint (color was a little warmer) but the green banding was still there. I repeated the air-pressure, hot water, and printer cleaning. Printed another photo but again, only a very little improvement in the tint and the green bands were unchanged. Given the price of a new printhead, if that's even the source of the problem, it doesn't seem worth spending that money on a printer that's over a year and half old - hate the fact that I'm even saying that. So, I think we're getting close to giving up on this printer and buying a new one - not an expense we had planned on or am happy about. Thank you all so much for your help and feedback. At least I now understand more about these machines, feel good that I have explored possible solutions, and have really got a lot out of the exchanges on this forum. I look forward to coming back to continue my education in the care and feeding of printers!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Vernah - look back in the posts for several techniques including sitting the print head in Isopropyl alcohol for several hours - shallow so you don't wet the contacts. Someone mentioned warming the alchohol if that doesn't do it. I used cleaning cartridges in an Epson to clear clogs with a mix of ammoniated windex (not the new drip free one) and alchohol (I think it was about 4:1) and you can look for that post as well. A cleaning cart is simply an empty cart filled with the cleaning mix. You print several purge pages with the cleaning carts in place until you get all color jets wetting the paper. Did someone post about using a syringe and dripping ammoniated windex into the print head area where the cart filter contacts? I would try that as well. Even bad clogs can usually be cleared. Nothing lost if you are about to give up!

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A tech friend has taken a look at the printer and diagnosed a circuitry/chip problem - he explained it in detail but it was above me. So, feeling my limitations and that I just didn't have it in me to try and tackle that problem, I went online and found a refurbished Canon i960 for $79 at TigerDirect with an extended 2 yr. replacement warranty for an additional $21. Seemed like a pretty good deal on a printer that I've really liked for the past 1 1/2 years. I'm definitely going to look into refilling the ink cartridges that I never knew about until I started reading this site and forum - insane how much money I've been spending on the Canon cartridges! Also, very good to know about the cleaning techniques that fotofreak and others have talked about. So, hopefully, in a few days I'll have a good-as-new i960 again that works! Thanks again everyone. I look forward to spending more time with you on this terrific forum.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Do the i960 and i950 use the same printheads?

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The cartridges are the same but I don't know about the printheads.

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just checked and it seems they do use the same printhead - QY60043. Updates/differences in the i960 vs i950: the 960 is a little faster; has the manual 4x6 paper tray, 2 USB ports, an updated PictBridge standard, different cosmetics, and a driver which permits viewing print details in Print Preview.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
lVernah - In addition to the great info on inks in this forum, be sure to click the link at the top of the page for Neil's inkjet info. That is what put me onto the I960 and MIS inks.