Print problem with Canon i950

vernah

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, Fotofreek. Actually, it was Neil's Inkjet page that got me to this forum and introduced me to the concept of cleaning the printhead and carts. However, now that I've been reading these threads and links that you and others on this forum have pointed me to, it's all coming together and making more sense. I think that Neil's pages will be even more helpful to me going forward.

A question: I've been very reluctant in the past to use anything but Canon inks because of the stories I had heard about clogging, etc. However, as you all know, using the Canon inks is a very expensive 'hobby' and seeing what you're all doing has inspired me to experiment. I would like to try the refilling method but is it also okay to use some of the compatible inks that are out there? I know there are many different brands doing this, but TigerDirect, who I've brought the refurbished 1960 from, is selling Amazon Imaging inks for half the price of the Canon (a pack of the 6 different inks is about $35.) Does anyone know anything about this brand?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Partners/AmazonImg/config.asp

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't know about their inks. MIS refill ink has been excellent in my hands. I have used it in OEM carts and their own empty "virgin" carts. Their prefilled carts have a different ink which I have not tried. If you want to use prefilled aftermarket carts I have read very good reports on Sensient Formulabs inks. These inks are used in Alotofthings Arrow carts. Nifty posted info on these carts and I also bought some but haven't used them yet. There was one quirk that Nifty ran into and I also found. If you remove the fill plug and open the air vent the ink level in the reservoir drops a bit. His didn't print well until he did this. DRC023 on this forum has been very happy with these carts from what I understand. He then refills them with bulk ink from Alotofthings. When you go on their web site click the link to "contact us", go onto the ebay store and buy from that site. Cheaper than their own web store. They also have Rainbow brand carts but I don't know what ink they are filled with. Weink sells a few different carts for canon. Their cart with CRU designation has Formulabs inks. Wiredbeans also says their carts are filled with Formulabs inks. Neil also suggests Inkgrabber carts. There were posts on this forum about their yellow carts causing some problems with print heads, but I believe that they have corrected that problem. Check the posts about these carts, or perhaps someone can respond that is using them. All of these carts cost in the range of $2 to $3 US, much cheaper than what you mentioned from Tiger.