print head sticks and makes noise

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
No!!!! The right side of the Epson 2200 encoder strip has 2 letters ( SS ) on the extreme right end of the strip which in this case have nothing to do with what you posted.

To the OP! Did the strip become detached from the spring loaded left connection? If it did not, then there is not other way you could have it mounted the wrong way unless it is twuiste 180 degrees which I do not this it is. I will watch you video now.

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Mardulia:

Well I'm afraid there is not much to see in the video. As the head carriage does not even move to the opposite side as it should.
Is this video shot after shutting down and pulling off the plug, waiting a minute and repluging and re starting?

There is a reset procedure that one can do but the printer has to be operating properly for it to kick in.

If you know that the strip is reinstalled properly, but it still does not read the position of the head, only the repair shop will help.
But as you know the 2200 is a very old printer that can be found for about $100 used ( I bought all three of mine from $75 to $100 ) it is going to cost you more than the printer is worth unfortunately.

It is a sad fact

Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I see, I was wrong. I didn't know about the double "S" marking, at the right hand side of the strip. If the marking reads like 2x "S" and not like 2x question mark, then the strip is oriented properly, not turned 180 degrees along the axis. I didn't remember post #18 which clearly shows the marking.

But does the strip also pass through the optical sensor properly? See p. 100 lower picture in the service manual.

In case the strip is damaged, a new one plus a new spring can be bought here: http://dtginks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=20&Itemid=74

I also found this video showing cleaning using "Windex" and reinstalling of the encoder strip of a "DTG" printer. The DTG printer appears to be a converted Epson printer. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qavI_IdNiE

Rereading the thread I noticed this in post #23, italics mine

Mardulia wrote:

With the printer powered off- it doesn't need to be unplugged to do this- I can move the printhead fine all the way either direction. And I just checked to be sure the strip is oriented correctly and it is. I did notice that the spring is a little wonky and tightened it up a bit. It started to behave a little differently and for a moment I thought it was fixed, but not. I wonder if that strip isn't tight enough. Could that be it? Could it be that finicky?

If you are very lucky, a new spring might be all that is needed. If the strip is not held taught it might not be read properly by the sensor.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I agree with that! She stated that the spring was doggy! So yes it might not be applying enough tension on the strip. Please watch her latest video if you get a chance. What I see is that it is not even allowing the head to move even a couple of inches. It immediately goes into an error mode.

For an encoder strip to have come dislodged like that it would have to have been really tossed around pretty rough.
I purchased two 2200 via EBAY and they were both very badly packed and even so, there was not a bit of damage to any internal components.
So I'm surprised to learn that the strip became unhooked.

Joe

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
jtoolman can you confirm that you can depress the "printhead lock" and move the carriage? Also, for the timing strip to come loose, something had to pull it out. Maybe the optical sensor is not in the right position anymore or the locking mechanism for the carriage is damaged and it doesn't release when it should.

The timing strip's position seems correct in the first four pictures posted by Martin, except on the right hand it is positioned behind that little hook, not in front of it, like in jtoolman's picture. Maybe check that too...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon we may have to call it a day on this one; this printer must have had one hell of a bang
to dislodge the timing strip plus what else has been knocked out of place ?

With power off the print head should not move, nor should you be able to move the print head by hand
whilst the power is still on, something obvious is not quite right here.

My conclusion is that the print head was parked properly before the bump but was heavily dislodged by this impact
causing damage to one or several components in and around the parking bay area (Purge unit) plus the timing strip knocked out of place.

Unless we can get good close up images of that area to ascertain the damage and what could be out of place or missing,
then we pissing up a rope, sorry guys, its not just a timing strip problem alone.. :(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Tudor said:
jtoolman can you confirm that you can depress the "printhead lock" and move the carriage? Also, for the timing strip to come loose, something had to pull it out. Maybe the optical sensor is not in the right position anymore or the locking mechanism for the carriage is damaged and it doesn't release when it should.

The timing strip's position seems correct in the first four pictures posted by Brian, except on the right hand it is positioned behind that little hook, not in front of it, like in jtoolman's picture. Maybe check that too...
Yes I just checked my three 2200 s and none of their head carriages can be moved. There is also no access to a lock lever like on some very early models.
The only way one can move the carriage is by the power on, wait till the head moves and pull the power cord.

So the only way that I can see being able to manually move the carriage even with the power off is if damage occurred during transport.

Does not look good.

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The Hat said:
I reckon we may have to call it a day on this one; this printer must have had one hell of a bang
to dislodge the timing strip plus what else has been knocked out of place ?

With power off the print head should not move, nor should you be able to move the print head by hand
whilst the power is still on, something obvious is not quite right here.

My conclusion is that the print head was parked properly before the bump but was heavily dislodged by this impact
causing damage to one or several components in and around the parking bay area (Purge unit) plus the timing strip knocked out of place.

Unless we can get good close up images of that area to ascertain the damage and what could be out of place or missing,
then we pissing up a rope, sorry guys, its not just a timing strip problem alone.. :(
Yes, again I agree! I would take one very forceful bump to not only dislodge the head carriage from the parked position and on top of that, disconnect the encoder strip which would take some effort.
It does not look good for the printer.

Joe

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Yikes. Yes that's been my conclusion, too. How long has this thread been going on? Has it been a week? More? Meantime, I'm sick as a dog, got no printer, trying to maintain some kind of work schedule. I think it's time for a new printer. :rolleyes:

You've all been as sweet as apples in the fall. My mother would have said that your halos got a brand new shine. I deeply appreciate your time and your expertise. Hope this thread is useful to someone else, too!

:)

Andrea

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Mardulia, just glad we were able to help a bit. Though a fix would have been a lot better. If you were anywhere near the DC area I would come by and personally look at that 2200 for you!

Get better!!

To make you feel better, the new printers either Canon or Epson will run circles around an older one like the 2200 though I still love this workhorses! If you need help choosing on just yell!

Do take care!!

Joe