print head sticks and makes noise

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
websnail has suggested that I post on this forum and get help from jtoolman, so here goes! Hope you're listening!

I moved my Epson 2200 up to my room so I could print from bed (bad idea). The printer started to malfunction. It starts up, but the printhead seemed to get stuck- making a hellatious noise- then all the lights start to flash at once and the printer power light goes off. The other lights continue to flash. I looked around and the cellophane strip that runs along the top of the print head carriage came loose, so I re attached it in the most obvious looking spot. I wonder if I've re-attached it correctly. I've tried to attach a pic but the forum won't let me because I'm a brand new member. :( The image is on your server at /forum/uploads/10999_image.jpeg. (I don't know if you can access it there, but maybe the forum will let me post it once this is submitted and approved)

If you have other thoughts on what's going on here, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks so much,

Andrea

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The image:
10999_image.jpeg

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photo, Tudor. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hey Andrea,

Welcome to the forum... Might be useful if you could get some more photos of the strip, particularly any of where it passes behind the printhead and the strips left end.

Cheers,

Martin

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi websnail- thanks for responding. :)

Here are two photos- of the where the left side of the cellophane ribbon is attached and of the ribbon behind the printhead. I have a hunch that the ribbon should be attached to the printhead somehow if it's carrying any information, but fumbling around by feel didn't present any obvious ways to do that. Hope these images are clear enough.

10999_riibbonandprinthead.jpg

10999_leftend.jpg

I appreciate your help!

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Sorry about the picture orientation- the forum seems to have done that.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Jose, I think this is one for you... I don't know this printer enough to be able to see if anything is not quite right...

@Mardulia: If possible can you take a few more of each end, above, from front, different angles, etc... and provide high res versions... Email them to me via my helpdesk and I'll upload and link to them here for you.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I'm not an Epson expert, but I guess the printer is an Epson Stylus Photo 2200? A very detailed service manual for this printer is found here: http://dtginks.com/Epson 2200 service manual.pdf

I haven't studied this manual in detail, but start by checking out pages 40-42 and 152-154 for an explanation of the timing strip, or CR linear encoder strip as it is called by Epson. This might give a clue to how the strip is put back in position properly.

P.S. I wish Canon service manuals were that detailed. I'm really impressed by this manual.

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok- websnail- is that the email on your profile? It'll be an hour I think before I can get that up- its morning here and I got a few things to attend to. Thanks so much for your help. :)

@PeterBJ- I think I found this manual but it was taking so long to download it timed out on me. I got it now, and thanks. This will be good to have!