print head sticks and makes noise

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
That was a good thought, I thought. So I turned it around, but that didn't work. I looked at the trouble shooting guide in the manual, and it looks like what I have is a fatal error. That, according tp the manual could be one of three things:

external force on the CR unit
PF motor is not rotating properly
home position can't be detected

which makes me think I'm out of me league and it's time to take it to an expert. Agreed?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
"Home position can't be detected" indicates that it's not reading the strip which tells me that not only did the strip dislodge but one of two other things is also true:

1. The LED detector on the rear of the printhead is not hooked up properly
OR
2. The strip is not positioned corrected such that the detector can read it properly.

My guess is that it's the second rather than the first but how you resolve it something I can only guess at.

All of that aside though, how did the strip dislodge? If it was a blow to the printer it could be something more involved...

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hmm. Yes, I did wonder if "home position not detected" might bring this issue back to that strip. It got dislodged when my husband brought the printer up to our bedroom while I was in bed sick. (still not 100%, but getting better. Ever heard of Lyme Disease? We get a lot of it around here) I was thinking I'd get some work done... It only got detached on the right end. I wonder if its just dirty. I did notice a couple of ink smudges on it. Do you think I could use a solvent on it like denatured alcohol?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As the inks are water based I think a window cleaner with ammonia is the best solvent for cleaning the strip. I have successfully used a such window cleaner to clean timing/encoder strips in both Canon and HP printers. Stronger solvents might damage the strip.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Only one obvious thing struck me that might be wrong but has not been shown.
The timing strip is it passing through the back of the print head in the correct position
or is it missing it completely ? :hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also think the strip is not properly positioned in the print head carriage. It is hard to see from the uploaded photos how the strip enters the print head carriage, but I think that figure 4-57 on page 146 in the manual is the best picture showing how the strip is positioned correctly.

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
@The Hat the timing belt is moving along with the printhead. That would seem to be indication that it's on right, right?

@PeterBJ I can't make out that picture to save my life! The strip (we are talking of the cellophane strip still, right?) is in no way attached to the printhead, nor does it run through it in any way. Is it supposed to? I wondered about that. I did clean it btw, no diff.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
8056_2200_a.jpg

8056_2200_b.jpg

I just shot these two images of what might be your problem.

Sorry it took me so long to jump in here.

I own and run three 2200 among many other printers.

I hope these two images sheds some light on this subject. If it is the plastic strip that was become dislodged.

It's easy to reconnect. Once you know where it is connected.

Joe

Mardulia

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello JToolman. Good to hear from you. The strip is attached correctly- exactly as per the photos you just posted. Does it matter which way the s's on the right end read? Is this strip attached anywhere else besides these two points?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Should be just like on my pictures. Otherwise it would be mounted upside down right?
Didn't you once state that this strip was disconnected? If that was the case, disconnected from what end?

Joe