Poor ink flow problems?

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Hello, I have a 9500 mkII that I just started running on refills. Previously had original oem cartridges with oem ink, now just refilled them with Inktek ink and ink drop method checking on a scale to not going over 29 grams.

I refilled the carts before the original canon ink was totally out, first shaked the inktek ink cans so that the pigment would mix well then with a siringe dropped various ink drops on the original tank sit on the back.

The colors seems to behave correctly, both of the blacks instead seems to work however when it happens that there's too much consumption in an area the following zone suffer of ink flow apparently (see the picture below).

The nozzle checks where good before the refill and are good the same after the refill.

Attachments

• DSC_1850.JPG
    DSC_1850.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 211

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The colors seems to behave correctly, both of the blacks instead seems to work however when it happens that there's too much consumption in an area the following zone suffer of ink flow apparently (see the picture below).

The nozzle checks where good before the refill and are good the same after the refill.
1) Don't recall seeing this image before. This is not a standardized image. Only those that know what it is supposed to look like can help. It is not helpful at this point.

2) Your description of the issue lacks pertinent details of what is wrong and therefore cannot evaluate the image you posted.

3) A nozzle check is almost always requested. You may be correct, you may not be. We've seen it both ways before. Standardized images like the nozzle check help diagnosing. Post a scanned and cropped fresh nozzle check.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
A full PGI-9 cartridge (without clip) weighs 32,5g.
You won't risk much with 29g since resetted chips declare empty before 20g, giving 3-4g margin.
But since you only use the ink you fill up why not start with the correct weight and use the margin for what it is meant for (ex: temporary disabling ink monitoring when you are in a hurry or too lazy to change/refill carts) ?

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
1) Don't recall seeing this image before. This is not a standardized image. Only those that know what it is supposed to look like can help. It is not helpful at this point.

2) Your description of the issue lacks pertinent details of what is wrong and therefore cannot evaluate the image you posted.

3) A nozzle check is almost always requested. You may be correct, you may not be. We've seen it both ways before. Standardized images like the nozzle check help diagnosing. Post a scanned and cropped fresh nozzle check.

I'm sorry, for the lack of details, I have no scanner for scan the nozzle check however it is ok without any stripes. That one pictured instead was a set of patches from argyll cms for profiles creation. The patches are supposed to be one color but is happening recently that when there are colors obtained with the matte black and there's a full black stripe near the square patch it happens like there's a lack of flow of black ink leading a light strike right in the middle of the patch (see the dark green patch for example).

Wondering if it could be a cartridge problem or something else.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm sorry, for the lack of details, I have no scanner for scan the nozzle check however it is ok without any stripes. That one pictured instead was a set of patches from argyll cms for profiles creation. The patches are supposed to be one color but is happening recently that when there are colors obtained with the matte black and there's a full black stripe near the square patch it happens like there's a lack of flow of black ink leading a light strike right in the middle of the patch (see the dark green patch for example).

Wondering if it could be a cartridge problem or something else.
I see what you mean, I observed similar behaviour a few times with a grey ink. Looks like there is not enough (black or grey) ink to add density to the next color patch.
It was discussed some time ago also and in this case it was caused by a wrong profile, but in your case this cannot be the reason.
I would flush the black and grey ink carts and refill with pure Inktec ink to exclude a reaction with OEM as the reason for the reduced ink feed.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I see what you mean, I observed similar behaviour a few times with a grey ink. Looks like there is not enough (black or grey) ink to add density to the next color patch.
It was discussed some time ago also and in this case it was caused by a wrong profile, but in your case this cannot be the reason.
I would flush the black and grey ink carts and refill with pure Inktec ink to exclude a reaction with OEM as the reason for the reduced ink feed.
I see, thanks. Could I just print some black pages until all the ink is run out?

Now that you mention it, the grey ink. I observed the same behavior both for glossy (PBK) and matte (MBK) paper profiles. Could be the gray the culprit. Tomorrow will do more checks...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I see, thanks. Could I just print some black pages until all the ink is run out?

Now that you mention it, the grey ink. I observed the same behavior both for glossy (PBK) and matte (MBK) paper profiles. Could be the gray the culprit. Tomorrow will do more checks...
As said there always will stay ink in the cartridge when the chip shows empty.
Printing further on risks to destroy your VERY LAST printhead.
So don't try to reinvent the wheel and follow the guidances told and shown here ad nauseam ;).

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
As said there always will stay ink in the cartridge when the chip shows empty.
Printing further on risks to destroy your VERY LAST printhead.
So don't try to reinvent the wheel and follow the guidances told and shown here ad nauseam ;).
what procedure is suggested to purge the ink? you have a guide for the pgi-9 cartridges?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your barking up the wrong tree, there’s nothing wrong with the black and grey ink flow, this issue is also happening with the white bar also, so you’ll need to look elsewhere for the problem, it’s not the ink… Maybe a wrong profile…

DSC_1850.JPG

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I'm not sure of that, there's a black stripe above near the azure block. Also the print is done with no color management on in order to create patches to build icc profiles.

Last edited:

Latest posts