Pixma Pro 1 pink banding

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
I recently printed some photographs after a two month absence and experienced pink/pale red banding at 3 places across each print. It bands at 3/4", 2" and about 11" across an a4 print. It is on all a4 prints. Also some faint lines across the entire print. I have performed several cleans and one deep clean but to no avail. The nozzle print shows half of the PC block to be missing and half of the Y block is faint. Reading the posts on the forum from people with similar nozzle prints the conclusions are print head damage.
The pixma Pro 1 is about 3 yrs old and always used with canon inks. All the cartridges are showing good levels of ink. Unfortunately I only became aware of the advice not to continue printing after a faulty nozzle check print after reading this forum and so about 20 prints/test prints following nozzle checks and cleaning cycles were done after discovering the problem. I tried different papers, media settings, icc profiles etc to no effect. High quality print settings improved the lines and banding a little but did not cure it.

I have ordered a new printhead but cannot find instructions for fitting it. I am quite a handy person with a science/electronics background and the only cost effective solution for me is DIY.
I hope someone who has experience of such replacements can advise me.
Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Gcom, It’s terrible when this happens to you, :( after you find out you were making the problem worse by pursuing to fix the problem yourself, and now it’s probably too late to recover the print head from all the well intended fixing that was carried out on it in good faith of course. :oops:

Can you post up a nozzle check for us to see the damage for ourselves, and we can give you a final decision on it, because the one thing that all inkjet printers hate are periods of idleness.

I am sure with our help and your knowledge that we can get your beast back in working condition again, question: where are you sourcing the new head from ?...

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@The Hat . Thanks for a very quick response.
I attach a photo of the latest nozzle check print. I have scrutinised it with a magnifying glass and compared it to the nozzle print I made when the printer firmware was updated some time ago. I note that in block 2 the PC block top half is missing. The Y block top half is significantly fainter than the bottom half. I can see no horizontal lines on any of the blocks.
Following research on this site it seems that the consensus of opinion is that these faults probably indicate a faulty printhead.
I searched for a replacement head and rejecting those companies that refuse to supply to the public I could only find one other that is company registered and has the item in stock. I ordered from 'The Supplies Shop'. Not the cheapest but comparable with suppliers from Germany and France when p&p is included. I note that the replacement may not entirely solve the problem if the logic board is also damaged but I'm working fingers crossed here.
Research on this site indicates that the ink system is pressurised and the correct procedure must be followed. Ink loss is a given.
Looking through the postings I believe you may have a procedure to follow that can help me instal the replacement. I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks again. I am finding the forum a mine of useful information. I only wish I had found it sooner and perhaps saved myself a job.
20190118_230527.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Gcom, I have to agree the PC in block two can’t be saved knowing the history of all the cleaning method you did, but there was still hope that the yellow hadn’t gone the same way, anyway its useless to try because the PC is buggered.

The Best place to get Canon supplies in the UK is Tasktron, but they will not supply the Pro 1 head because of the many difficulties that printer owners face while trying to fit it, usually without help or success.

It was saddening to hear you did a firmware upgrade ? !, because now that you did and when your waste ink cartridge fills up you’re going to have to dump the printer or face returning it to Canon for maintenance at considerable expense.

At least when you replace the head yourself you can get back to your print work and don’t worry about the logic board because if it were damaged the printer wouldn’t even turn on..

I will PM you with the Instructions..

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@The Hat Many thanks for the anticipated pm.
The firmware upgrade was done a year ago or longer?
I think your refering to a possible problem with the waste ink reservoir. Did I read something about a waste bottle being fitted as a solution to this problem? Does it then need an electronic reset? Maybe drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the waste reservoir to stop it filling. I don't know if this is the correct concept of how the waste reservoir works. I need to do more research.:rolleyes:

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@The Hat
I have just read your pm. Many thanks! It looks to be most helpful. I will let you know of my 'adventure'. :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did I read something about a waste bottle being fitted as a solution to this problem?
The is a very good method for waste ink disposal on the Pro 1, but if any upgrades have taken place then that avenue is closed to you, the waste ink isn’t the problem it’s how to tell the printer to reset the waste ink counter.

The method I used, and it works brilliantly and anyone who can access Service Mode on their printer can use it, but there’s no point in fitting one if you can’t reset the waste counter first, firmware upgrades prevent access to the waste ink counter..

I will let you know of my 'adventure'.
It's a breeze when you know how....;)

Attachments

• Printer Potty for Pro 1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 343

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@The Hat Yet another clear example of the old axiom that the amount of experience gained equals the amount of equipment ruined! :barnie That phrase again..... I wish I had known that sooner. :idunno:(

Gcom

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@The Hat. At long last! The printhead for my pro 1 is finally on its way. I'll let you know how I get on.