PGI-525 and CLI-526

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Having now got hold of some OEM 520/1 cartridges I am now awaiting delivery of my ink order which has given me time to reflect on sealing the cartridges once refilled by using the top method. Whereas in the past I have always used plugs I have decided to give the hot wax method a try so that I may avoid the initial pressure build up that comes with insertion of the plug into the cartridge and the inevitable (albeit slight) seeping of ink. Whereas I usually drill a hole of about 1/8" for the plug what should be the size hole when using wax? Is there an optimum size to make application and subsequent removal easy?
Also, has anyone used a 525/6 chip resetter on a 520/1 cartridge fitted with the 525/6 chip? Does it all line up correctly?

armars

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ipfken said:
Having now got hold of some OEM 520/1 cartridges I am now awaiting delivery of my ink order which has given me time to reflect on sealing the cartridges once refilled by using the top method. Whereas in the past I have always used plugs I have decided to give the hot wax method a try so that I may avoid the initial pressure build up that comes with insertion of the plug into the cartridge and the inevitable (albeit slight) seeping of ink. Whereas I usually drill a hole of about 1/8" for the plug what should be the size hole when using wax? Is there an optimum size to make application and subsequent removal easy?
Also, has anyone used a 525/6 chip resetter on a 520/1 cartridge fitted with the 525/6 chip? Does it all line up correctly?
Where have you ordered your ink?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ipfken Whereas I usually drill a hole of about 1/8" for the plug what should be the size hole when using wax?
Is there an optimum size to make application and subsequent removal easy?
I usually drill a 3mm hole in my cartridges its about the same as 1/8 and it works out fine.
The hole only needs to be a little larger than your needle to allow the air to escape while ejecting the ink in.

I tried the 520s with two different resetters and there were no real problems with alignment,
one of them was a tight fit but worked out just fine..:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Hat said:
... while ejecting the ink in.
???

injecting

*visions of 007 style printer cartridges with little ejector seat gadgets and printers that level entire terrorist camps*

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
ipfken Whereas I usually drill a hole of about 1/8" for the plug what should be the size hole when using wax?
Is there an optimum size to make application and subsequent removal easy?
I usually drill a 3mm hole in my cartridges its about the same as 1/8 and it works out fine.
The hole only needs to be a little larger than your needle to allow the air to escape while ejecting the ink in.

I tried the 520s with two different resetters and there were no real problems with alignment,
one of them was a tight fit but worked out just fine..:)
Thanks again for the advice.:)

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
The Hat said:
... while ejecting the ink in.
???

injecting

*visions of 007 style printer cartridges with little ejector seat gadgets and printers that level entire terrorist camps*
Nice one, Websnail!