Offset paper ICC profiles and borderless printing problems with Pixma Pro 10s

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Hello all,

This is my first post. Tried to search, but I don't even know how exactly to search for this, so if you know a thread where this is discussed you're welcome to refer. :)

I am trying to create ICC profiles for different offset papers for my Pixma Pro 10s. I find the printer does a pretty good job when I use "Canvas" as the media type. Even without calibrating. HOWEVER, Canvas has the 30mm margin, which makes this media type useless for me. Same with other fine art media types I found out. I need borderless printing.

I found that when I use Matte Photo paper as media type, the printer will use too much ink, so that the paper will curl and will also lose the sharpness of the image (does not happen with Canvas). Creating an ICC profile will not change it. Actually, I can't even print the calibration sheet because of the curling - the print head starts to rub against the curled paper. So I tried to create the profile using Canvas as media type and then use that profile when printing with Photo Matte paper as media type. But get the similar result - with paper curling.

It would make sense to use Plain paper as media type, but I use 300g paper, which must be fed from manual tray at the back, at least according to the printer manual...

I purchased the printer (being located in EU it's pretty costly as you know) so that I'd be able to experiment with different papers. I did my research, but didn't think I might run into such a problem that you can't feed plain paper from manual tray. :)

So what are my options?

Can I feed the thick paper from rear tray at the top?

Is there another media type that is actually using less ink and has the borderless printing option available?

Is there a way to somehow tell the printer not to use so much ink when using Matte Photo paper as media type?

Any other suggestions?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Hello and welcome.
Can I feed the thick paper from rear tray at the top?
YES... probably.
My Pro10s had no trouble handling 300gr cardboard from the rear tray. I said probably, because not knowing the texture and rigidity of the paper that you use, it might make a difference. For one thing, it seems weird to me that 300gr paper curls badly with 'matte' setting. Many photo papers are less than 300gr and they don't do that when you use any photo paper setting (be it matte, glossy or luster ).
Anyway, if you don't mind me saying so, why wait to read what others have to say in this matter ?.We can only guess, but nothing easier for you than check if the Pro10s has no trouble handling this paper from the rear tray.
Is there another media type that is actually using less ink and has the borderless printing option available?
I'd say no but I'm not sure.
Is there a way to somehow tell the printer not to use so much ink when using Matte Photo paper as media type?
In the color/intensity of the driver click on "manual" and adjust 'intensity' to a lower level and/or select 'light' as brightness instead of normal. Be aware that if you modify those default settings when you print the test sheets for making the profile, you'll have to use the same values of intensity and brightness afterwards when printing using that same profile.

Last edited:

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
In the color/intensity of the driver click on "manual" and adjust 'intensity' to a lower level and/or select 'light' as brightness instead of normal. Be aware that if you modify those default settings when you print the test sheets for making the profile, you'll have to use the same values of intensity and brightness afterwards when printing using that same profile.

Of course! Totally forgot about this tab in the options! :D Can't wait to get back home to try! I'll get back here with results.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try using these setting for a test print..
Capture.PNG

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Thanks. This is also an option.

I'll have to do some tests now. For example, if I lower the intensity when printing both the calibration sheets and then the actual print, then I should, in theory, get correct result, right? I mean as long as the print options are identical for calibration and print, I should be fine, correct? I just have to remember the settings.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I mean as long as the print options are identical for calibration and print, I should be fine, correct?

Yes, it's that simple.

Offset papers typically won't get you the best color saturation your printer is capable off - you would be better off with coated inkjet papers, such papers only have one disadvantage - they are more expensive, but better papers have another advantage, they have a PE foil barrier between the paper base and the inkjet coating, this prevents the solvent to get into it and the prints will much less wavy. But it all depends what you want to acheive with your prints and you are willing to spend.

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
OK, I've run some tests now. I've been using Rives Tradition 300g paper for all my tests.

Reducing the Intensity by 10 or even 20 still made the paper wave. Same with Brightness set to "Light". BUT when I compare the darker patches on the calibration sheet, then those printed with Canvas as the media type, are nice a deep, but the paper did not wave. Yet the ones with reduced intensity or brightness do wave. Both to the point that the print head rubbed against the paper and the sheet became useless.

This made me think the problem is not the amount of ink. It seams it may have to do with how the printer handles the media when it's set to Canvas. Feeding the media to the printer is different. Is it maybe that the 30 mm margin is necessary for the printer - maybe the printer holds on to the edges and stretches the canvas slightly and this is preventing the paper from waving?

Ink Jet Hagaki with standard quality did not make the paper wave. So this is probably the way to go.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Both to the point that the print head rubbed against the paper and the sheet became useless.
Go to printer Maintenance and select Custom settings and use “Prevent Paper Abrasion” that will take care of the head hitting your paper surface..
The 30 mm margin setting is only related to the Media type and not the paper surface you’re actually printing on, and the amount of ink is also related to Media setting also..

Capture.PNG

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Thanks. Did not know this. I looked for something like "set the hight of the print head" in the settings. :)

But how come with Canvas the paper does not wave, but dark colors come out deep and beautiful?

Miikael Volkonski

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10s
Hmm, it looks like the problem is not with the paper. The print head rubs against the paper now even with Fomei InkJet paper... What could be causing this?
ink.jpg

Last edited: