New weapon of Canon: new carts to replace CLI-221/521 and PGI-220/520

northbeach

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
For Canadian Users refilled cartridges for MG5220 printer are now available at:

"blankdvdmedia.com/products/Canon_PIXMA_MG5220.php" **

I purchased bulk ink, but had trouble injecting the ink into the non see through OEM cartridges. Also you would have to worry about the ink level all the time.

I am hoping the compatible refills are see through and can be refilled easily using the German method.

**(as a new member to this forum was not allowed to hyperling a url)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

northbeach

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
This begs the question. Are there any reasons to use the OEM CLI-521 and swap chips?

Compatible cartridges are cheaper and you do not have to physically swap chips.

Thanks for any responses ahead of time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
northbeach
This begs the question. Are there any reasons to use the OEM CLI-521 and swap chips?
Compatible cartridges are cheaper and you do not have to physically swap chips
Yes there are, you are getting the very best quality cartridges that you can refill indefinitely and will not
cause you or your printer any problems whatsoever but you cant say that about cheap compatibles..

When the new resetter arrives there are no guarantees that it will reset non OEM chips either..:(

inkjago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm at least glad these third party catridges with chips are available. The cost of ink is less than half of OEM.

It will still be even cheaper refilling my own and using a resetter though :)

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
To All: I dont care if Canon uses tungsten carbide plate over stainless steel cart shells. Using the OEM carts, a box of wooden toothpicks ($!/250) and your favorite ink in top fill mode you still win.
Remove the plastic ball (or drill a hole), stick the toothpick in and and view the present ink level. Add more ink, check in level-repeat until ink is about 1/8" below top level and close with rubber,plasitic, tape or chewing gum and start printing!!!

I know I mentioned this on several sites but >~$16 for 10 ml (Pro9000) of dye ink or >~$35 for 25ml (R3000) of pig ink is grand larceny!!!

For my canon Pro 9000, CLI8 dye cart my refill cost is 25 cents US). for my 3880 my cost is ~$9 for 80 ml.

PS: Toothpicks are superb cor carefully touching up 'finished' prints.

good luck irv weiner

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
irvweiner said:
To All: I dont care if Canon uses tungsten carbide plate over stainless steel cart shells. Using the OEM carts, a box of wooden toothpicks ($!/250) and your favorite ink in top fill mode you still win.
Remove the plastic ball (or drill a hole), stick the toothpick in and and view the present ink level. Add more ink, check in level-repeat until ink is about 1/8" below top level and close with rubber,plasitic, tape or chewing gum and start printing!!!
I hear you Irv...

About the only thing that is putting me off retaining the original Opaque carts (while no resetter is available) is the lack of any visual reference to ink levels in the cartridge once you've refilled. Sure you can cap the exit port, pull the refill plug and go with the "dip pick" (TM) but that's not an ideal scenario compared to checking through a small window.

I have to agree though... Nice as the German method is, the top fill method is going to have a larger share of proponents with this new cart.... especially if the rumours about the newest 220/221 (520/521) carts being produced as opaque turn out to be true.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
"dip pick" (TM)
I call "Dip Pik" (TM), "Dip Sticker" (TM), "Fill Pick" (TM), "Fill Pik" (TM) and every other possible derivation using the alphabets of every known and yet to be known languages.

Is this where we are at now? Trademarking on the forum? :barnie

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
:yuckyuck

The problem will be in changing the design enough to copy it. I mean, reverse engineering is easy, but how many ways can you improve on a wood toothpick?