New Light Standard Design... I hope...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'd call your experience a labor of love but I suspect now it's more a me-vs-it fight to the finish. :somad

Go get 'em, my friend!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Go get 'em, my friend!

If I only could...:barnie
And yet another update…

Here we are on another Monday morning, and I’m still watching for the postman to bring me my power supply part, I have printed as much as I can with the new printer and it’s limited to 180x180x180 but the last few parts are 300mm plus.

I only have 1 ½ lanterns and one arm section left to complete, but it’s so frustrating to be that close to finishing, (No cigar) and it’s not as if I don’t have the time, if I don’t get the power supply this week. I’ll make something up that will work and allow me to finally finish the lamp standard.

P.S. Yes I said “Postman”… Its Pat the Postman, but his cat was run over by a Feckin car..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
limited to 180x180x180
Yeah, that's tiny... especially when you're printing a gigantic light tower! ;)
I’ll make something up that will work and allow me to finally finish the lamp standard.
When mine went out I just pulled a power supply from an old PC and that worked fine (especially if I didn't use the heated bed). Later I got a beefy ATX power supply from Amazon in 2 days for pretty cheap.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When mine went out I just pulled a power supply from an old PC and that worked fine (especially if I didn't use the heated bed). Later I got a beefy ATX power supply from Amazon in 2 days for pretty cheap.
Funny you should say that, because that’s exactly what I did, I used an alternative power supply to connect to the printer and it worked fine until I started to preheat the extruder nozzle and hot bed, as I always do.

But after a few minutes I could smell something burning and reckoned I didn’t have enough power for the job, so I turned everything off quick time, the stuff I'm printing needs a heated bed because of it's size.

So it’s back to watching out for the Postman.. 🙄

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I managed to source an alternative power supply from the UK in only 4 days , thanks to @Redbrickmans help, and I installed it the same day I got it, and was back printing in no time at all.
P1010689.jpg

But unfortunately the hot end started to lose heat after only a few hours and so I had to end my light project instantly, maybe these 3D printers have something in common with their inkjet printer buddies, they too don’t like to be left idle for long periods.

I’ve ordered and am now waiting on a new main board to come from China along with everything else, the earliest I expect to be printing with the CR-10 again will be the end of May, I don’t mind the lockdown but it would be great to have something to print..

I maybe forced to print some work on my inkjet printers, heavens forbid.. Now where did I put that darn Glossy paper..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Call me Ishmael. This lamp your chasing seems your White Whale I fear. ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I was pulling your leg. When you're ready, finish the lamp. We've been following your fits and starts and we're all looking forward to seeing the lamp in action. By "in action" I mean the lights shining, not Ted lifting a leg on it. :fl :frow

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
3D seems a fascinating new world. Maybe if I had enough room space, patience and budget I’d took the plunge, but there’s another matter that scares me out : software. Possibly I’d manage assembling the hardware, modding and all that but I’m quite sure that the software process of designing the parts to print, entering the data, etc.. are beyond my skills. In my book, all the people that started 3D printing from scratch not so long ago and have achieved to make things like this lamp are almost geniuses.

Latest posts