Need advice to refill Canon MP610

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
my 2 printers recently gone bad & I have wasted a dozen of ink carts; both OEM & non-OEM ones before I realised the printers unworkable. I am glad to find this forum 2 days ago, I have just bought a refurbished MP610 from ebay which doesn't come with ink carts.

I want to try refilling, since there is no OEM ink carts come with the printer, do you recommend only using OEM carts or is it OK to use non OEM ones for future refill?

I live in UK, any advice on good suppliers for OEM & non OEM ink carts & inks, resetter etc? There 's lots of interesting valuable infos here; but it will take me quite a while to grip with the basics; & I am grateful for any advice.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to this board.

You might want to post the problems you've been having with your 2 older 610s. Some wise people here may be able to help you get those ones working again, plus your older printheads might be salvageable.

As far as refilling goes,, it is a relatively simple procedure with these cartridges AFTER you have had some practice. It is usually preferential to use used genuine Canon cartridges for refilling if possible.....and you will need a chip resetter. Stick with this....you will save a ton of money over time once you learn how to refill, and it is a very valuable skill to have,

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Many thanks Manuchau; my Epsom Stylus 880 suddenly gone dead ( the main switch not long works) after I tried
several new colour carts; & still printed badly, may be the head is clogged or the carts defective, I don't know.

My HP PSC 1210 are present from a friend 4 yrs ago, I only used it a few times because the OEM ink carts terribly expensive; cost over 20 each (those carts have print heads) my friend also bought me a 6 non OEM ones which none of them worked when I tried to use it after my Epsom gone dead, it would print for a couple of times & then keep asking for a right black cart; I tried with a couple of new OEM ones, it prints OK twice & then ask to replace again, I am fed up with this, I don't want to spend stupid money on HP carts & no guarantee it will work. That's why I want to try refilling.

As regarding MP610, is there any way to set to print in black only when printing a coloured text doc?

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Welcome.
You will have best results using only genuine Canon carts for refilling purposes.
Before printing the document, click on Properties and choose Greyscale.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Nancy is giving wrong information. The PGI-5 and CLI-8 can be easily reset with a resetter, so Becky: don't be worried. I would suggest you to refill with the Durchstichmethod, which is very easy and clean after you first reset the chip with the resetter.

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Many thanks pharmacist, yes I definitely going to try the Durchstichmethod; I still need to buy bulk ink etc; hopefully I can learn successfullyl with the many good tips from all of you wonderful guys here!

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Do not give up!! Once you get into this, you will see that it is fun to do after the learning curve. And think of the $$$ you will save. if you do run into problems, there is help here....

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My first original PBI - 5 Blk has just run out & I bought some Canon brand used empty cartridges from EBay;

I have already bought the Hobbicolor inks & chip resetter & planning to follow the German method. How do I do the purge of the dried empty carts? I looked at some messages on this forum of how to purge the carts; they use some self made devices of piping etc; I don't know how to make those purging devices; what is the alternate way to purge the carts? Where should I make the purging hole & how big & where it should be?

Sorry though I read many of the forum messages; I am not a technical person; I can knit, sew & paint; this refilling hobby is a challenge for me! :)

Please advice!

Becky

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Becky,

purging dried dye CLI-8 cartridges is not necessary, just put 15-20 drops of ink (wait until the ink droplets are absorbed by the sponge material before putting a new one) directly on the ink outlet and refill after a few minutes using the durchstich refill method.

For the PGI-5 cartridges: watch out especially if you see hard and dried clumps of ink in the ink compartment ! The best way to avoid necessary purging is to refill immediately after the cartridge has been registered as empty. My experience is that you can easily refill 7-8 times in sequence without the need for purging, but it also depends on the pigment ink you are using.