Need advice to refill Canon MP610

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pharmacist, thanks for the tips; however, my PGI- 5 carts are bought from EBay, so I assumed it must be dried; how should I go about this, I fill up the empty resorvor with germany fill with distill water, & I am running tap water on the ink outlet in the bathroom sink, the UK tap water is terribly hard, will it be OK?

It' been under the sink tap for 10 minutes now, how long it takes to see clear sponge using this method, I haven't drill any exit hole for the flushing water to come out. Do I need to make one?

My first ( come with new printer) empty canon is still in the printer; will it be OK (not drying out the print head) to take it out, refill, reset & put in back straight into the printer?

Becky

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
becky said:
My first ( come with new printer) empty canon is still in the printer; will it be OK (not drying out the print head) to take it out, refill, reset & put in back straight into the printer?
Once you get used to refilling with the German method, you may find that you can get by with just one cartridge. It doesn't take long to refill and I would advise that you refill your empty one and put it back in your printer. Also, you can refill your cartridges any time so if you refill them before the reservoir gets empty, the sponge will never have a chance to dry out.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
agreed, once you get used to the german method it is pretty quick. on a good day, i can refill a cart using a squeeze bottle in under a minute

been refilling my MP830 for 22 months, have refilled all four CLI8 cart about 10 times each, never purged, still using original canon carts.

the backup cartridges i bought are still sealed. anyone know what the shelf life is for sealed canon carts ??

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon Pixma MP830, IP4500(spare), MP830(2 refurb'd spares)
Method: German Durchstich Method using Canon Cartridges
Ink: Hobbicolors, great guy to deal with
Misc: Squeeze bottles, needles, scabbards from Howard Electronics

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
jimbo123 said:
anyone know what the shelf life is for sealed canon carts ??
2 years per Canon when stored properly - no direct sunlight, no extremes of heat or cold.

becky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I did take out the empty PGI- 5 black cart from the printer & then quickly refill it with German method, then put it straight back to the printer, it's working alright.

I flushed one of the bought empty carts PGI- 5 with the ink exit outlet (the pad touching the print head) under tap for 30 minutes; the sponge of flushed cart still looks very black, though only clear water coming out from it.

I am confused, if much of the black pigment can't be rinsed out; & if I leave it to dry, does the dried pigment not clog the sponge & the exit outlet pad? Then what's the use of flushing it in the first place? Is the PGI-5 supposed to be flushed until pretty clear?:(

Since I bought 6 empty PGI-5 carts plus some CLI-8 , I want to make sure I flushed them especially the PGI-5 for future use.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The PGI-5 is pigment ink, the sponge will not come clear because of this, flush till water comes out clear is correct. The CLI-8 cartridges are dye based ink, and will flush the sponges mostly clean.