My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As reported I was able to reset the waste ink counter with service tool 5204.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/maxify-ink-absorber-counter-reset.14065/#post-122349

I was deliberately running the magenta cart with an autoreset chip showing empty to see what happens and this morning I had error B504.

According to Canon this is due to the use of cartridges "not produced by Canon" but https://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/b504-error-canon-maxify-printers says this can happen with OEM's too

> The Canon B504 error code is a built in protection to stop the delicate resistors in the print-head from overheating and self destructing. The problem occurs when there is no ink flowing to the print-head to keep it cool, which can occur when a cartridge is run completely dry or no ink is flowing. <

This proves there is indeed an ink flow monitoring !

Canon suggests to restart the printer.
Strange enough this resetted the ARC but the error returned.

I unlocked the printhead by turning the wheels and changed the magenta cart (this is easier when you have removed the plastic cap on top that serves only to block you to change all the cartridges at once).

After a lot of whirring and shaking everything seems OK again.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
This proves there is indeed an ink flow monitoring !
Excellent find, palombian. Glad Canon is doing this. :thumbsup

Canon suggests to restart the printer.
Strange enough this resetted the ARC but the error returned.
I gather that the error occurred because the ARC chip reset to "new cartridge" on an empty cartridge and when the printer saw a "new" cartridge had been inserted it tried to do a new cartridge ink purge and no ink flowed. The printer was behaving as designed. :)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Excellent find, palombian. Glad Canon is doing this. :thumbsup

I gather that the error occurred because the ARC chip reset to "new cartridge" on an empty cartridge and when the printer saw a "new" cartridge had been inserted it tried to do a new cartridge ink purge and no ink flowed. The printer was behaving as designed. :)

Most probably.
But this drives an inexperienced user mad, since he does not know how to change the cartridge.
There were reports on amazon.de from people who were told only Canon could do this.

We are lucky Canon uses rather simple tricks - in fact in the interest of the printer.

As reported before I am having ink feed problems with the cyan since long. I neglected this deliberately to see if this ink monitoring would jump in, but it never happened and at the end I had damaged nozzles.
I rinsed the printhead and changed to another ink for cyan.
The problem did not occur since and I can continue to use the printer for drafts and B/W (and tests ;) ).
The ink was from octopus-office.de, only the cyan, no problems at all with the other colours.
@Redbrickman informed me he had the same problem with the same ink.

Most probably I could have saved the printhead if I had rinsed it in time.
Learning money, not a drama after 25.000 sides printed.
The Maxify is very solid but there are limits.

rrreinig

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Hello,
Thanks to all for this great thread on Canon Maxify printers. I have read through it and learned a great amount.

I am in the US and currently own a Maxify MB5120 that is showing ink empty (red X) on the BK cartridge. All of the installed cartridges are currently PGI-2200 setup types. I have many years experience refilling a Canon MX870 but this is my first attempt to refill the Maxify. I have a few questions please.

1) My firmware version is 1.120. Will this prevent me from using ARC chips?
2) Do I need to flush the OEM cartridges with distilled water before refilling them with InkTec inks?
3) Does the "Yellow Jello" issue occur with this printer with its pigment ink?

I think all of my other questions were answered in this thread, so thanks again for all the effort that went into it.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hello,
Thanks to all for this great thread on Canon Maxify printers. I have read through it and learned a great amount.

I am in the US and currently own a Maxify MB5120 that is showing ink empty (red X) on the BK cartridge. All of the installed cartridges are currently PGI-2200 setup types. I have many years experience refilling a Canon MX870 but this is my first attempt to refill the Maxify. I have a few questions please.

1) My firmware version is 1.120. Will this prevent me from using ARC chips?
2) Do I need to flush the OEM cartridges with distilled water before refilling them with InkTec inks?
3) Does the "Yellow Jello" issue occur with this printer with its pigment ink?

I think all of my other questions were answered in this thread, so thanks again for all the effort that went into it.

I've seen no reports the Maxify would reject 3th party refills and chips yet, but I would block future firmware updates.
Suppose recently bought ARC's should be compliant.

Few people flush carts before refilling. It is not easy for a beginner, chances are you do more things wrong than good.
This is a completely different type of cart you are used to.
Just fill up and watch nozzle checks carefully.

Isn't Yellow Jello a dye ink issue (for one particular printer) ?

Success

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@rrreinig : Don’t be surprised at all if, after refill, the first nozzle check is bad. It happens very often. In my case it’s usually banding in the lower rows ( mostly the yellows and sometimes magentas). You need to perform an additional cleaning cycle to get a normal test. It’s also preferably to print quite a bit immediately after refilling, in order to stabilize the internal pressure. As @palombian said, these cartridges are totally different from the sponge based Pixmas. It takes a while to get used to their peculiar behavior.

rrreinig

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
I've seen no reports the Maxify would reject 3th party refills and chips yet, but I would block future firmware updates.
Suppose recently bought ARC's should be compliant.

Few people flush carts before refilling. It is not easy for a beginner, chances are you do more things wrong than good.
This is a completely different type of cart you are used to.
Just fill up and watch nozzle checks carefully.

Isn't Yellow Jello a dye ink issue (for one particular printer) ?

Success

Thanks @palombian, your answers are very helpful.

rrreinig

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
@rrreinig : Don’t be surprised at all if, after refill, the first nozzle check is bad. It happens very often. In my case it’s usually banding in the lower rows ( mostly the yellows and sometimes magentas). You need to perform an additional cleaning cycle to get a normal test. It’s also preferably to print quite a bit immediately after refilling, in order to stabilize the internal pressure. As @palombian said, these cartridges are totally different from the sponge based Pixmas. It takes a while to get used to their peculiar behavior.

Thanks @Artur5 for the additional help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I got my first low ink message on my Maxify MB5155 today, I was surprised that the printer remained on till I did something about it.

When I opened the front panel the ink carts immediately moved to the change position and a message came up on the LED screen suggesting that the magenta ink may have run out, so I popped out the cart to refill and change the chip.

Everything was going to plan so I fill a syringe with 18 ml of my new HP ink and fitted my refill tip to the syringe and presented to the OEM cart, I pulled back on the plunger to take air our first and then pushed down, and this is where everything went wrong.

The refill tip at that point split, most likely with old age and splashed magenta ink in all directions, it couldn’t go into the cart because I didn’t suck any of the air out due to the refill tips failure.

I might as well say it was my first time to refill these OEM carts so I can be forgiven for getting it so wrong, when I change the refill tip for one that wasn’t damaged the procedure went perfect, suck air out first then push ink in carefully.

The cart did leak from the outlet a little and I should have placed tape over the outlet but didn’t and when I changed to a ARC chip the area behind the OEM chip was flooded with ink, so had I not replaced this chip, it probably would have produced an error due to a short circuit.

The cart did spill some ink onto the loading dock when I reinstalled it, but other than that I deemed it a success, but the first print from the printer was slightly pinkish, so I followed @Artur5 hint and printed 6 test sheets and all the rouge magenta colour was gone..

Now to see how this new ink preforms over the coming weeks or will I get clogs in the magenta channel when the printer sits ideal for a few days…

Just the rambling of an old man…

5128_new_tips_2.png inks.JPG click to enlarge..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
first time to refill these OEM carts
Surprises await when traveling a new road. In the end you arrived at your destination a little worn but with a lot of experience. :thumbsup

Let us all thank Dr. Francis Rynd, a surgeon at Dublin, Ireland's Meath Hospital, who invented the hypodermic needle in 1844. If you've refilled a cartridge then you've probably used his invention. Even though our fearless moderator The Hat does not use a needle for refilling the Maxify cartridges, the Luer Lock plastic adapter he used would not have been invented to attach the needle to the syringe. :)

PS How long are you in the dog house with Mrs. The Hat over the splashed Magenta? :hide

Latest posts