Mexico vs. USA Kirkland Pro Glossy Paper

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I was able to get some two year old Kirkland Professional Glossy paper from my sister. I was then able to directly compare the differences between the two papers. The result is that they are different in certain ways. What i do not know is whether the differences are due to the age of the old batch or the paper itself. My take is that the paper itself is different.

Using the same icc profile, test images were printed sequentially on the same printer. The profile was created using the Mexico based paper. Within 10 minutes of printing, the images were distinctly different where I thought that somehow something was messed up. Three hours later upon further inspection, they are closer than initially thought. The most significant difference is the the older USA based paper takes longer to stabilize the colors. The Mexico paper appeared to stabilize much faster. This could be due to the age of the paper but I doubt it.

Colorwise, the Mexico based paper rendered deeper browns than the USA based one but then the profile was created for the Mexico paper. it could change if a specific profile was created for the USA one. Otherwise, for most persons, they are close enough.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling..

The paper companies normally work with batch numbers so if you check the ends you will find them there. Paper Co. Are very secretive of where they source their supplies. Another thing they do is pay their manufacturers (suppliers) every 90 days, so they move from one to another to stretch the 90 day envelope. The only way to know if you have the same paper as I said is to check the batch codes as they are set for all the different manufacturers from each country. Hope this helps..
:)