Maybe my IP6600 gem still needs some polishing

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Man, you folks are just a fountain of knowledge. Two threads and I can't believe how much I've learned here.

Thanks for the warning Stratman, I had seen it before but forgotten. The guy near here seems honest-I bought ink from him before for the OfficeJet 8500 pro I'm trying to repair and he was very straight up.

OK so...I guess I'd better calculate approximately how much ink I'll use and start getting ready to print some CDs as well. My original reasons for getting this IP6600 were to print photos and to print directly on CDs.

I will try that colour correction method and see what happens.

If the print head needs alignment again (I didn't do it since the last time I removed it), will it be obvious in the pictures or more subtle?

Oh and while I'm on a roll, is there any way I can fix that problem feeding photo paper from the cassette? I tried cleaning what rollers I saw with a rag. What else is there to try for that?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Does this turn of events rule out the idea that the controller circuit board has gone bad, or could that still be a possibility?
Unknown.

If I'm not mistaken, the last photo test print above seems to have a reddish cast to it, and it also looks a bit grainy. Is there an easy way to fix those things?
PeterBJ's advice is good and worth trying but it is a temporizing solution since you are using bad paper, possibly bad ink, and hardware malfunction that may not be resolved. Color management changes with each paper and a specific inkset. They work as a partnership in concert with the printer and its ICC printer profile and output is affected when you change any one of these factors.

Most importantly, you need to find out if the contamination issue is resolved. Use your printer to see if the issues reappear. If not then get fresh ink and paper.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman:

Are you suggesting I run another purge, or that I just print normal content to see what happens? I thought I'd print a few photos. I'm willing to spend more on ink now that I know I will at least temporarily get some decent prints.

It turns out that the guy I know who is a retired printer tech. thinks that the printer he's going to give me may be another IP6600 or IP6700. Ha!

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is there anything I can try to get the 4x6" photo paper feeding via the cartridge? Do we know if it is a known problem?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You could try another brand of photo paper, maybe of a lower gsm weight. But even with the same gsm weight some papers are more flexible than others. You could also try to improve the grip of the pick up rubber rollers by treating them with a special printer rubber roller restorer, like for instance AF Platenclene. There are more similar products. I have used the AF Platenclene with success solving a CD print problem.

Canon has made a couple of series of printers that have no rear feed tray, so you had to feed photo paper from the bottom. Canon has now introduced a new "TS" series of printers in which the rear feed tray is back. I think the bottom feed of photo papers caused a lot of problems and complaints, so the rear feed was reintroduced. Well, if Canon admits that photo paper is best fed from a rear feed tray?.........

Last edited: