Canon iP5200 CD printing problem solved.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In a Pixma 5200 the paper output rubber rollers also transport the CD print tray. The rubber rollers had lost some of their grip. This caused no problems in transporting plain paper and photo paper, but the printer had difficulties in pulling the CD tray in.

I managed to get hold of the "AF Platenclene", a product intended for printer rubber roller cleaning and restoring. The product comes in a 100ml pump spay can.

The rubber rollers are accessible from the front of the printer so they can be cleaned without needing to take the printer apart. You cannot clean all of the rollers' circumference in one operation, but the rollers rotate at printer start-up, when the purge unit is active, and they stop in a random position, so I managed to clean the rollers completely, by turning the printer on and off a few times. I used a small rag moistened with the cleaner for the cleaning.

I also cleaned the tray path in the printer using an "oversized Q-tip" made from a bamboo skewer and a bit of cotton, moistened with isopropyl alcohol. I also cleaned the CD tray using a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol.

To minimize other friction than friction between the rubber rollers and the tray, I applied a minute amount of Molykote EM-30L lubricant on the edges of the tray only. You don't want any lubricant on the rubber rollers. A 5 ml Luer lock syringe with an 18g 1.5" blunt needle makes an excellent miniature grease gun for use with the Molykote lubricant.

After this cleaning, CD printing again works perfectly on my Pixma 5200. I have also successfully used the product to clean the paper pick-up and transport rollers on an HP AIO that wouldn't pick up paper. After the cleaning the HP worked like a charm.

The "AF Platenclene" was recommended by @websnail here, and I can confirm that the product works well.