Maybe my IP6600 gem still needs some polishing

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I still say the problem colour is black, try changing the black cartridge before leaving the printer to rest overnight, but first try copying this test sheet and print off 5 copies, then tomorrow do the same, if the problem comes back then your print head has had it, sorry...

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon D1350, Canon IP6600D
Mikling:

I printed another "yellow" purge page and got results similar to the last print I posted-green eventually moving towards lighter green/yellow-ish with dark horizontal lines. What causes the dark horizontal lines?

Hat:

But the black cartridge is brand new. Just bought it two weeks ago.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The dark horizontals are likely the source of the leak from a darker color. If it does not go away at all or even after a couple head cleans then the printhead is no good for photos but text work where it will not matter much. Ouch. Hope you did not blow your budget on this one.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay, so...just to be clear, it would not be worth buying another yellow cartridge to try?

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mikling:

Did you mean print head cleaning issued as a command through the driver, or actually physically removing the printhead and washing it out?

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I initially meant the through the driver. However, in rethinking, it is probably a better test to physically rinse through the affected channels with water from say a faucet and then reinstall. If after this the streak immediately returns, then it is a bad leak and you already know the fate of the printhead. Like some illnesses you cannot cure it but manage the issues with various procedures. That would save you the cost of a new OEM cart. if you intend to keep using OEM carts, this could be get costly if you need to keep printing purge patterns to cleanse the printhead after every few hours.

Hogwild

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
The cross-contamination you folks are talking about-Can it end up affecting the contents inside the cartridges, or does it only result occur at the print head and stay there/on the paper?

I'm asking just because, as I reported earlier, my yellow tank contents are very dark, and almost look like black.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The cross-contamination you folks are talking about-Can it end up affecting the contents inside the cartridges, or does it only result occur at the print head and stay there/on the paper?

I'm asking just because, as I reported earlier, my yellow tank contents are very dark, and almost look like black.
It is possible. Solutions move.

I have questions on whether you have accurately and completely examined the cartridges and print head for a proper conclusion. You need to remove all cartridges and then remove the print head. At that time you can flush and then let dry the print head before reinstalling it if you see no obvious defects or ink leakage. I would replace all potentially offending cartridges, possibly all of them just to get a fresh start and rule out a cartridge malfunction as the cause.

Food for thought:

1) The print head may utilize silicon or rubber o-ring gaskets that fit around the ink inlet ports of the print head. This is to make a good seal between the print head and the round ink outlet port of the cartridge and prevent leaks. If a gasket is missing you may get ink leakage which could cross-contaminate the neighboring cartridge(s). These gaskets are difficult to see and may require removing the print head and rinsing it. Be very careful not to let one fall off and go down the sink drain.

2) I mentioned before, but got no feedback from you, on the order that the cartridges are in the print head. Given the ink chart that demonstrates what primary colors are mixed to give secondary colors, your apparent issue, then it is important to check this out and report back. The order of cartridges in the print head are displayed here. What, then, is the more likely color contaminating Yellow if the leak is external to the print head: Black at the other end of the print head or Magenta?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Here is the cartridge layout on the iP6600, and with the black at the other end of the cartridge line, the only other possibility is silicone gasket failure, causing cross contamination inside the head itself...
Capture.PNG
If this is the case then it's game over...:(

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here is the cartridge layout on the iP6600, and with the black at the other end of the cartridge line, the only other possibility is silicone gasket failure, causing cross contamination inside the head itself...
View attachment 5485 If this is the case then it's game over...:(
No so fast... if you examined a printhead internally, or check the order of the nozzle bank on the UNDERSIDE. They do not always line up in the same fashion as the way carts are installed on top! in other words, the route is not direct for a reason......there is one pump. You need to engineer the flow resistance to be equal amongst all the carts. If this is not done, a head clean will NOT pull the same amount of ink across all colors.