Little striping problem with Canon Pixma MP760

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If you tilt the paper it will exaggerate banding which is barely perceptible in this case. It is fortunate if most of the cheap Epson printers I maintain do that well. Generally we expect only good enough for family and internet photos. The older the printer is the worse it gets as print head rails start to wear.

Those nebulas are truly beautiful. Are there any english links to the source?

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am currently trying other papers, other profiles... and getting slightly better results.

The picture uploaded here are displaying only one third of the original picture of the Carinae Nebula which is a 30000x15000 90 mo jpeg that comes from CNES (french NASA). If you want it, I have to check if it is free from rights because I got this from work.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I cannot see any stripes in the color pattern, do you see any strips anywhere in your copy?

vilrockerdefer said:
I select professional photo paper under the settings in canon driver along with personalized quality set to 1.
By that, do you mean "Photo Paper Pro"?

Try that paper setting with the three available quality settings (3, 2, 1) and see if the stripes get closer or further apart.

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't see any stripes in the color pattern.

Wow ! Using personalized quality setting at 3, the stripes have disappeared completely ! (And of course, the quality of the colours is not as good). Going to test at 2... no stripes either !

This is it. Top quality means striping... What does it mean ? Can it have something to do with the paper ? (I tried two kinds of photo paper and it's the same problem).

Thank you !

@johnwarfin: here is the link to the nebula :
http://www.partage-fichiers.com/upload/Eta_Carinae_Nebula_2.jpg
login : f2yr615p
pass : q8ukipev

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The login and password seem to work but no image is displayed.

I'll try the quality setting on my MP760 to see if it produces the stripes and then maybe we can figure out why.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I figured out how to print the .pdf enlarged to fit a letter size paper. I set the paper type to Photo Paper Pro and the quality to 1 but I could not see any of the stripes that were visible in your scanned images. I did not print on glossy paper but rather on matte paper. I think you would see the same results even on plain paper. It should only matter what paper type you say you are using.

Can you try printing the image again from the .pdf on plain or matte paper to see if it has the problem. Also make note of all the other settings you used (for example, dithering).

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Please try this link http://dl.free.fr/jkYmhrzAC for the Nebula.

I don't use any effect (like dithering).

Any other selection than Photo paper pro will result in an impossibility to select top quality printing.

I guess for printing such large pictures at 1200 dpi you need better paper than what I have or it gets saturated with ink or something like that.

I will have to try with Canon PR101 paper I guess. If anyone has other ideas I'm listening.

Cheers !

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That website is in French (I think) and I have no idea what to click on to get the download. Please help.

vilrockerdefer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ghwellsjr : You have to click on "Tlchargez" which means "Download"