ix6550 Print Head Extreme Close-up (Macro)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Head clogs are very strange things, first how do you recognise a clog ?

Canon print heads seldom clog and when they do, it is usually from lack of use, running a normal head clean is usually all that’s needed to get the printer back working again.

If by any change the head still looks clogged, (Poor printout) then 1 deep head clean will clear it up and all should be well, but if it’s not then more than likely it’s not a clog at all, don’t try running several deep head cleans because that can cause you even more headaches, read more...

98% of print issues are directly caused by poor cartridge performance and continually running deep head cleans without a sufficient supply of ink flowing to the head will cause electrical failure, Canon only advise 1 to 2 deep cleans over a 24-hour period. !

Try to always let the printer do the cleaning, head removal is only for last resorts, and never try to print with cleaning carts installed, and if you remove the head you can’t see a clog if one is present.

To keep your printer running smoothly, there is only one thing you can do to help keep it that way, try squirting some cleaning flood (1 or 2 ml) onto the purge pads evert 3 to 4 months and this will keep the purge unit in good condition.

The less you mess with the printer the better it will work; your only job is to insure you follow the set procedure for refilling (No short cuts) and change all the carts when one become low. (Not empty)

P.S. And don’t try to outsmart any of these Pro Printers, they’ll win or die trying...

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Fully agreed.
I have done examinations of nozzle rows quite a lot, back when I was buying used canon heads every month, which were out of production. I used a ccd scanner or a strong opticians loupe..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...for-canon-print-heads.10169/page-2#post-84731
..but in the end it did not help to rescue any of these used canon printhead.
Simply because they use to burn out over time, nozzle by nozzle, whenever there is no solid ink flow. The result you see on these macro photos...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
AFFORDABLE Pro-100S spare PrintHeads
In the US, maybe elsewhere, the best price for new print heads is often Canon Sales. Give them a call.

You would think the people parting out printers would figure this out and undercut Canon, but I have a suspicion they just look at what the other goober is selling his for and match it.

Get a replacement print head or two now while prices are as good as they will ever be. You may need them in the future. If not, sell them on eBay.

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
In the US, maybe elsewhere, the best price for new print heads is often Canon Sales. Give them a call.

You would think the people parting out printers would figure this out and undercut Canon, but I have a suspicion they just look at what the other goober is selling his for and match it.

Get a replacement print head or two now while prices are as good as they will ever be. You may need them in the future. If not, sell them on eBay.

In the US the Canon Pro-100 costs $59.
In the UK the Canon Pro-100 costs £359.

Not fair, not fair!! There are people out there stocking up on these [ink] suckers en masse. Even if for a brand new set of OEM Carts…

Not fair, not fair! I just bought my "spare set" OEM CLI-42 Carts… £86.

Not fair, not fair, NOT FAIR!!

@The Hat, I need another hug please…

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
About US $90 on eBay. :idunno

The cheapest I just searched on ebay co uk is £108, bear in mind, UK here, that's $142

£101.99 listed above by The Hat is $135

It is what it is. Remember we are all here trying to save money, hence ink cartridge refilling in lieu of buying new sets of 'OEM' Ink every time we run out so the massive price differences between US and UK on the hardware alone is enough to raise a few eyebrows. Thank goshness for localized Octoink for their availability, just trying to plan for the future and if a Pro-100 print head becomes available for "$90" then I will grab 2!

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried cleaning a clogged head in warm water on a cheap sonic cleaner machine but it didn't work. Basically once a head is clogged, it is often impossible to unclog it. I should try a bath of Windex next time.

Would be nice if someone can post a before and after picture of a clogged head being cleaned.

I’ve been cleaning printheads with clogs for several years. There’s one thing I’ve learned emphatically that works evertime to release the clog; persistence.

Beyond that, always use warm distilled water, lay the wet flushed printhead on a solid white paper towel, if any ink is still coming out, you aren’t done, keep flushing until no ink is released onto the towel. Sometimes it seems like the printhead Is close to clear, then low and behold another gush of ink comes out of the printout.

Persistence, so far, has worked for me every time.