ix6550 Print Head Extreme Close-up (Macro)

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
I hope I am not stepping out of line here, but today I was contemplating what to do with this machine after attempting multiple times to revive it with no success it is probably time to accept it is on it's last legs. Besides, it has served me well and have now a week young new Pro-100S which I have decided will sit right next to the computer attached via USB and NOT Wi-fi!

Anyway, I am extremely grateful to all of you on here who have already given so much, I wanted to give back. Neither Pharmacist, nor Mechanical Engineer, but a Photographer with a rather cheap, but extreme Macro Lens I thought we could really get to the nitty gritty, so without further ado, I present to you...

DSC_1401_1.jpg
DSC_1401_1_1.jpg
DSC_1406.jpg
DSC_1406_1.jpg
DSC_1408.jpg
DSC_1408_1.jpg
DSC_1411.jpg
DSC_1411_1.jpg
DSC_1411_2.jpg
DSC_1411_3.jpg

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
If these photos are of any use to anyone then great. What so far has stood out for me is, what seems like dust on the nozzles even this Head has been bathed in Windex, Isopropyl Alcohol, Ammonia, even good old fashioned tap water, both very warm and cold.
Also the gold electrical plates close-up like this show remarkable scratches. So as someone already pointed out maybe there is an electrical fault, could it have anything to do with these contacts?
Like my daughter mentioned, the grill photos kind of resemble a shaving razor (Wilkinson Sword anyone?).

Either way, the sun was shining and I enjoy what I do, ended up printing the 9 x A3 44"x32.5" oversized "poster" on the Pro-100S today so after slicing it up with Xacto knife and metal ruler will mount it tomorrow. Really enjoying the new printer :thumbsup

Attachments

• DSC_1415.jpg
    DSC_1415.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC_1416.jpg
    DSC_1416.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC_1417.jpg
    DSC_1417.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_1418.jpg
    DSC_1418.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_1422.jpg
    DSC_1422.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC_1424.jpg
    DSC_1424.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_1425.jpg
    DSC_1425.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 385

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
It's amazing that those thousands of nozzles are controlled by only 40 or so contacts! And the "wires" are SO small!

A lot of technology that we take for granted seriously blows the mind when one meditates on it.
From the camera to the computer and the screen to the printer and all the technology that ink itself is convicted from and even the paper.
I am much more content with being an end user than a manufacturer, that's for sure. But a little dabbling here and there, trying to unclog a print head and taking up refilling can be satisfying as long as we try even if we fail at times. The knowledge acquired is often through hiccups in the first place. If my ix6550 never started messing up I wouldn't be here right now with a brand new Pro-100S.

Still haven't unpackaged my first box of goodies that arrived from Octoprint yesterday :p

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Amazing photos!

Thank you, Sir. Glad to be of service!

Have since put the print head "back together again" and will try and use this ix6550 solely as a PGBK Pigment Black printer while for everything else, the Pro-100S.

IF it goes on the blink again I will hopefully take some more shots, was a lot of fun :)

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried cleaning a clogged head in warm water on a cheap sonic cleaner machine but it didn't work. Basically once a head is clogged, it is often impossible to unclog it. I should try a bath of Windex next time.

Would be nice if someone can post a before and after picture of a clogged head being cleaned.

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
After some advice on here it was suggested that I may well have an electrical fault, which while a lot of this is all new to me (and intriguing) it makes sense.

Because I am able to flush (syringe pushed through with Windex from Ink Inlet on PrintHead shows spraying out of nozzles) yet haven't experience a gushing out of yellow which happened with the Cyan when I quite easily performed my first manual PrintHead unclog thanks to this forum.
Ironically at that time it was ONLY the Cyan that was clogged, unclogged that with ease (only warm water under running tap, no Windex, no syringe, nothing) and within a day, I think it was, COINCIDENTALLY (hmmm, smells of Jello to me :p ) the Yellow stopped printing.

A few built-in Head Cleans and a few* manual ones by myself, the Yellow initially comes back. Nozzle Check. Looks great, a print will print beautiful… half way, then no more yellow.

*few manual print head cleans? I have ordered Ammonia, Isopryl Alcohol, Windex ('Original' w/Ammonia-D?) from Amazon. Everything but distilled water or specialized print head cleaning cartridges…

The mystery continues, will be ever get full closure. A diagnosis even?

Let's hope my Pro-100S lasts at least 4 years like the ix6550 has(had).

One issue I fear is not being able to find any AFFORDABLE Pro-100S spare PrintHeads. Ebay and Amazon all listing extortionist prices.

On a side note, I noticed Printers are cheap as chips on gumtree, no one got the memo that there are Printing enthusiasts on PrinterKnowledge Forums willing to take them of their hands for "spare parts"?

:p

Lastly, what does the Pro-100S differ from the usual Pro-100? Google search results are elusive.
So are how to turn Wi-fi OFF once it's set up. Finally found the solution, hold down RESUME/CANCEL until the Power Light flashes 11 times.
First time I went over and stopped at 15 flashes, it seemed to do an ink purge or something, not what I wanted!

Anyways, that's enough for now, thank you for your time. I've just done my own head in now. Need to flush with some tea or coffee :p

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried cleaning a clogged head in warm water on a cheap sonic cleaner machine but it didn't work. Basically once a head is clogged, it is often impossible to unclog it. I should try a bath of Windex next time.

Would be nice if someone can post a before and after picture of a clogged head being cleaned.

Ultrasonic cleaners are not recommended for print head cleaning. There is a high risk of damaging the print head.

For an example of nozzle checks before and after a print head cleaning see this post.