1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Health & Safety and 3D Printing.
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning solution application/methods for Canon Print heads?

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by websnail, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Jul 26, 2015
    3dogs

3dogs Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
    Just cut it off!

The Hat likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2015
    websnail

websnail Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
    I'd actually say yes...

I agree with your points about causes of "clogs" and the misinterpretation of flow issues, air ingestion, etc... as being such a problem.

BUT, this thread is actually about cleaning techniques for genuine clogs, so oh great an wise moderator... You're going off topic!... ;)

Roy Sletcher and The Hat like this.
  3. Jul 26, 2015
    websnail

Printer Model:
    LOL.. elegant in its simplicity...

Anyone else cross their legs unconsciously though?!

Roy Sletcher and The Hat like this.
  4. Jul 26, 2015
    Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher Indolent contrarian Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

This thread is neither a rant nor off-topic.

The print head is the heart of any inkjet printer, and a thread discussing print head maintenance must fall within the definition of Printer-Knowledge. (Simple point of logic)

I say let the thread stand. The subject matter is relevant, and dispenses useful information and discussion points for most readers.

RS

websnail and The Hat like this.
  5. Jul 26, 2015
    martin0reg

martin0reg Printer Master

Two more techniques which I tried recently:
    1 Take out the cart. put it upside down and drip the solution on the cart's outlet, so that this area of the sponge becomes white from the cleaning fluid. Then put it back in the printhead an do the cleaning cycle with the fluid in the channel. Advantage: no need to take out the head.
    2 Take out the printhead and position it upside down. Then drip the solution very slow onto the nozzle plate and let it sink into the nozzle rows. Be carful do hold the head with the nozzle plate exactly horizontal so that the puddle doesn't flow over the edges.

But regarding canon printheads in general I have to say that the majority of my "clogged" head I could not get clean - certainly because too much nozzles were already burnt.
    "Patience" may be important... but a printhead which did not print a clean nozzle check after 1-2 days of soaking - did not do it even after a week...

If you want to identify already burnt nozzles: some heavy defects may be visible with a simple loupe.
    For magnifying I use a scanner, CCD type - others can only focus on a flat sheet - here is a good and a bad one:
    qy6-0049_neu-refurb_ip4000kop1_arici10.2014_crop.jpg Qy6-0067-75_mp-elekfehler_cut_4800dpi.jpg

Or a optician loupe (20x)
    eschenbach-20x-lupe.JPG
    I just tried to shoot what you will see:
    qy6-0039-lupenfoto.JPG qy6-0039-lupenfoto-crop.JPG

This way you may identify heads which can not be cleaned and therefore are not worth any more efforts.
    But it's the nozzle check what counts... I just had to throw away a qy6-0049, whch wasn't looking that bad under my loupe...

6. Jul 26, 2015
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    @websnail is being a smarty pants and want to score some brownie points. :smack :p
    Ata boy @Roy Sletcher you know which side the bread is buttered on.. :hugs :D

7. Jul 26, 2015
    websnail

Printer Model:
    Smarty pants or no, my point about the on/off-topicness was more that I actually believe a separate thread/article on preventative maintenance practice would be more useful than potentially taking this off at a tangent. I'd meant for this to be more the reactive, "we have a clog, how do you deal with it" side that's all.

Also something to consider regarding @martin0reg 's suggestion with dropping the cleaning solution into a cartridge that contains and may continue as an ink cartridge. Worth double checking that the solution won't cause flocculation (pigment dropping out of solution) or some other reaction that would be counter productive. It's a mistake I've made in the past so thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  8. Jul 27, 2015
    fotofreek

fotofreek Printer Master Moderator

@The Hat's post brings back the requirement for occasionally purging carts after either a large number of refills or a refilled cart sitting unused too long. A simple test for ink flow lets you know when to purge. Take off the outlet cover, remove the seal from the fill hole, and see how well the cart drips. GENTLY blowing in the air vent should also easily produce some dripping. Sluggish or no dripping? purge!

websnail, PeterBJ and The Hat like this.
  9. Nov 15, 2017
    Photographic Memory

Photographic Memory Printing Ninja

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro 100S
    So maybe all this obsession with cleaning/unclogging Print Heads
    should be put on the back burner (pun?) and we should launch a new craze, how to preserve the Nozzles? I am certainly interested in any advice that is recommended in order to get the most life out of these printers (heads).
    Is this a given for all Canon "desktop" printers? Is this why they are often on sale for $59/$99? Is it just a bait n switch, we'll practically give away this printer because it's the Ink that generates profits?

So far I have gained such knowledge (advice) as:

- Print often (in order to not let ink dry and clog)
    - Make sure you don't refill when the cart is empty, refill when low
    - Continuing to print when any ink is not showing on a nozzle check is the most surefire way to burn out your nozzles

Anything else?

If SOME nozzles are burnt out does it necessarily affect print quality, or is it barely noticeable?

Intriguing. So it wasn't Mr. Clog after all…

The Hat likes this.
  10. Nov 15, 2017
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    The forum advice is print once a week or so that uses all cartridges. A nozzle check is considered sufficient.

It all depends what you are printing. Sometimes no. Sometimes yes. You will know when it happens.

Even if you do everything right in maximizing the health of your printer it will give out one day, hopefully 5+ years from now. My Canon MP830 is ~10 years old. I am on my 3rd print head. (knock on wood)

The Hat and Photographic Memory like this.