Printer Model
canon Pro-1
PBK has woke up :ya

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Why does CO have vertical banding please ??

thanks

Andy

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Chroma optimizer is transparent so, in order that the user can check if it’s working properly, the nozzle test prints two alternate vertical stripes of chroma optimizer over a block of gray ink. You see that the first and third stripe look more shinny than the other two columns where no chroma was applied.
Congratulations. Your nozzle test looks perfect to me now. :)

You’re lucky, because this peculiar printer doesn’t resurrects after being neglected so long unless she really cares for the owner.;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
im following everything you say, but the one thing that did the business was a system clean on the PBK ink bank...
You obviously weren’t following my posts that closely because nowhere did I mention a system clean,but I did want you to run a deep clean only and see how that went, because when dealing with a severely clogged head small steps are best, a deep clean only uses 10% of your ink.

A system clean is only used as a very last resort, because it uses up half your ink and fills the waste cart that much faster, but saying that I reckon Congratulation are in order for a job well done and it only cost the price of a set of compatibles.:weee

Now you can print with confidence.. :hugs

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Oops im naughty sorry :eek:, but now its working, this is where i start my journey on how to print..use ink...and a load more, do i now bin the compatibles and get the oem's and also a spare print head has i don't believe these items are in abundance.

Thanks Hat

Andy:thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
do i now bin the compatibles and get the oem's and also a spare print head
Compatibles vs OEM -- depends on your tolerance for accurate color reproduction. With compatibles, or refill inks, a printer ICC profile created using the Pro-1 along with one specific inkset and one specific paper can provide wonderful results. But, an ICC profile costs money, whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it for you. There are free ICC profiles for the Pro-1 but these must use a specified paper and ink (eg Red River Papers)

Forum member Mikling sells his Precision Colors customized inks for the Pro-1 and has customized ICC printer profiles for free. Look at the ICC tab here. Make sure to get all your questions answered by Mikling if you plan to purchase as he may have two sets of Pro-1 ink and it seems only one set of ICC profiles. I buy from Precision Colors but you may closer sellers such as another forum member Websnail and his inks at Octoink. Both sell quality inks and stand behind their products.

In essence, if you are selling your prints then stick with OEM Canon inks. Otherwise, it is up to you if aftermarket inks are pleasing to your eye. Just make sure you are using high quality aftermarket inks or you may risk burning out nozzles on your print head prematurely.

As for buying a spare print head... it is an insurance policy against potential future loss. Even if you decide to stop using the Pro-1 you can always sell the print head on eBay, Craigslist or whatever is convenient in the UK. Eventually, Canon will stop making print heads for the printer. Your tolerance for any of these situations is up to you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You need to walk first, and learn how to enjoy the printer as is and then think about all the other things later, by all means get a set of OEM carts but as for a spare print head you might find that difficult, and if you can get one, then all the better, but you must know something about the Pro 1.

It’s not like any other Canon printer, it has needs that can’t be changed because this printer has (AI) a special live EPROM chip that monitors everything it does but especially what you do, hence the baby step to coach it back to good health. (Just like a woman)

The print head can be replaced with a special procedure that incorporates a system flush to ensure the head functions properly and stop it over heating when under load, this girl is a fussy lady that has expensive tastes.

The only thing I haven’t covered is the waste ink counter/cartridge, (Time Bomb) that in time will fill and will need to be either replaced and or by-passed and reset, with yet another special procedure. (Available here)

But and this is very vital, only if your printer can enter Service mode can you carry out this procedure, and this is only possible if the printer is old enough, (Pre 2013) and I did noticed your nozzle check didn’t have a page count on the very bottom, which is very positive.

To make good prints on this printer you need to use the default colour setting on the machine, and only change the media setting with matching profiles to suite the type of paper loaded, and let the printer handle everything else.

If you start by changing some settings before your competent and know what you’re doing, you will fall into the abyss and go round in ever increasing circles trying to get back to some normality, my advice is to let this beautiful girl do all the work and leave the colour setting alone.

When you come to change the ink cartridges, it will take some time before the new ink gets all the way down to the print head and onto the paper, because the system tubing holds about 16 ml of ink for each colour, so you’ll have to be patient once again..

Happy Printing…

P.S. You have one of the finest printers on the market…

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Wow, you guys are boffings.. university answers to a mechanic, how am i ever going to get the best out of this printer ?? probably never.

To keep things simple would it be best i just stick to oem inks.... which is what makes this printer so special i believe, im also confused about paper, do i stick with canon paper, will the software carry profiles for other manufactures papers ?? i really am an amateur when it comes to printing, ive got the printer, now i need to know how to use it properly, where do i start :idunno

ICC's :idunno

waste ink counter/cartridge,:idunno

But and this is very vital, only if your printer can enter Service mode can you carry out this procedure, and this is only possible if the printer is old enough, (Pre 2013) and I did noticed your nozzle check didn’t have a page count on the very bottom, which is very positive.

Does this mean if this happens and my printer is not that of a pre 2013 machine, then its toast ??

PS dont think im coming across as arrogant, im just trying to get my head around all this jargon, i must say with a glee of enjoyment. :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
do i stick with canon paper
The printer is designed / optimized to use OEM Canon inks and paper. You may try other paper by different manufacturers but then there is no guarantee of color fidelity (or gloss differential, ie bronzing) unless you use a printer ICC profile designed for your printer model and the specific inks and paper used. Change any of the three variables and a new ICC profile will be needed.

will the software carry profiles for other manufactures papers ??
As I said in my post above, some paper manufacturers, such as Red River Papers, have printer ICC profiles their specific paper and your printer model but only when using OEM Canon inks. Precision Colors offers some free ICC profiles for your printer, PC inks and certain papers.

For now, it is best to follow The Hat's recommendation on sticking with OEM and letting the printer do the hard lifting. You can always try a different paper that isn't Canon but your results, and satisfaction, may vary without a custom ICC profile. Once you get familiar with your printer then try new things. As The Hat said, you have a grand lady of a printer to make beautiful images with. Mess with her and you might regret it as she suffers no fools due to her Artificial Intelligence. She knows what you've done and where you've been. :hide

Does this mean if this happens and my printer is not that of a pre 2013 machine, then its toast ??
When the waste ink counter reaches its maximum then the printer will cease to work. If you have a newer model then you will not be able to enter Service Mode and reset the waste ink counter. Unless a new tool (software) becomes available in the future to do this on your own then you will either need to take the no longer working printer to a Canon Service Technician (expensive) or use it as a paper weight (bin it).

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
My printer's firmware is that of a pre 2013, even though its spent almost all its life on the dole and done nothing, its like brand new,

so my firmware is original and not even printed on the nozzle check, does that mean its best left alone, because if i upgrade the firmware, might i indeed encounter the problem with (waste ink counter reaches its maximum)

Most of the new canon paper's profiles are on this new firmware thats not on my printer, have i to upgrade the firmware or leave it alone.

thanks

Andy