Is This Pro 1 Worth spending Money on…

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
I came across this forum while searching for a potensial problem with my Canon Pro-1, i say (potential) my printer has been stood idle with empty printer cartridges now for about 3 years, so i decided before i go out and spend probably £300 pounds on printer cartridges to see if it would start printing again or if it would need a new print head, ive also discovered from this site that if it does need a print head i would need some help of an expert on how to go about this procedure.

Please what shall i do with this printer, is it worth spending the money on new ink and a print head or have i to just count my loses and bin it ?? i might just add...this printer has done really nothing, it has only had one set of cartridges through its entirety.

thanks and hello everyone :thumbsup
Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Wisey, You certainly have a dilemma on your hands, because everything to do with the Pro 1 spells money, so if you think you’re NOT going to spend some real money then quit before you start.

You say the carts are empty, how empty ? and is it all of them, because to get this beast up and running again (If possible) it may take at least 50% of the ink out of all cartridges.

I wouldn’t try powering it on till you have a complete new set ready to go in, in fact I’d try removing the carts that’s inside her first and then start up the printer.

As you are only starting out on your quest, you can get a set of compatibles for the printer from a number of places in the UK much cheaper than an OEM set, and they will be more than adequate to get the printer started again. (50% cheaper)

The PDF will show you how to remove the carts without powering on the printer, just reassemble in reverse, please remember to agitate all the new carts before installing. Be very sure you replace each cart with the correct colour check twice.

Now once the Printer is powered on it will run a maintenance cleaning cycle itself, and when it’s finished print 1 nozzle check and that will tell you how much of the nozzles are still clogged, but please remember ! Don’t print any test sheets till you have a 100% nozzle print, only nozzle checks are acceptable..

You may need to run 1 deep cleaning cycle after leaving the printer to stand for ½ hour, then run another nozzle check, and with any luck you should have a clear nozzle print..

Attachments

• Cartridge Removal (No power).pdf
    249.9 KB · Views: 356

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Thanks for your reply, you have saved me money already, i was about to order a printhead and a complete set of genuine PG1-29's at a cost of around £280 plus a print head for £147....

Could you possibly recommend a supplier of non genuine ink carts and i shall order tonight, are these just to purge and get the printer going again.

Yes the original ink carts are completely empty !!

thanks

Andy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Andy, I’d glad we could help, but saying that, changing the print head in the Pro 1 is not as straight forwards as you may think, more like an expensive nightmare.

A set of cheap compatibles are the best way to go when trouble shooting, there’s no point in wasting expensive OEM ink just to dump it in the waste, if you have trouble getting carts in the UK then Google or try Amazon, because the ink suppliers I use, don’t sell to the UK..

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Love your knowledge Mr Hat, ive managed to get a full set of amazon, has a prime member delivered tomorrow for £93 pounds, thats ok, what is the object of the exercise, is it just to see if the print head is not clogged up or is it just to see if the printer actually works.

I dont mind spending money on it if its worth it, whats the alternative to a Pro-1 if i have to go down that route, is there a printer as good for £700ish ??

thanks

Andy.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
With a bit of time and patients, now that you have the ink to back you up, the print head can be unclogged, but it may take a little longer than you might think, the Pro 1 does things at its own pace and can’t be hurried along, that’s why rest periods between operations are recommended.
whats the alternative to a Pro-1 if i have to go down that route
A very good replacement for the Pro 1 would be the Pro 10, it’s not that much smaller but weights a lot less, running costs are dramatically reduced and you can use 3rd party inks and refill the carts is you wish to save a bundle on inks..
P.S. The Pro 1 inks can be used in the Pro 10 also..

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
The Hat

even if it doesn't come back to life, thank you very much taking the time to reply to me, i really appreciate it.

Andy

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
even if it doesn't come back to life,
Don’t give up on her to quickly, she may yet surprise you, because it’s a very special intelligent printer that will reward you with the most beautiful prints and the only down side is the cost of running her, but then all Pro printers produce prints at some cost..
P.S. you need to print several times a week to keep this girl happy, which is the same for all inkjet printers, down time means ink wasted....

Wisey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon Pro-1
Thankyou yet again for another post, i have installed the new print carts and i dont seem to be able to get the machine to do a nozzle check, the printer messed about for quite some time making weird noises, you could almost hear the ink running through to the print head, it sounded like a blocked noise, anyway it has stopped now with the resume button flashing amber 10 times then starting again, but no nozzle check !!

thanks Andy

ps is it dead :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
O’ dear you got the dreaded B200 error, this is an enormous error given when the machine can’t figure out what exactly problem is, I bet it's directly related to the print head, because it was running to high a temperature in the head which was probably caused by all the cleaning the printer did.

Usually a power off and a rest can cure this error, and if you can easily remove the carts all the better before powering off for an hour or too that might give the printer a new thing to concentrate on..

It’s Feckin ridiculous because the printer caused the problem in the first place by an over active heavy cleaning cycle…