iP7250 Service Mode

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is one thing I forgot to mention: Tap water is not suitable for preparing pharmacists cleaning solution. Instead demineralized/de-ionized or distilled water should be used. The dissolved lime in tap water precipitates when mixed with ammonia or other base. See this for a more detailed explanation.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Here is a test I made a few years ago. The left test tube contains a few drops of magenta ink in a few ml of demineralized water, the right test tube contains a few drops of the same magenta ink in a few ml of pure isopropanol/ isopropyl alcohol. Notice the ink is perfectly dissolved in the water but has precipitated in the alcohol, I think this illustrates well that a pure alcohol is not a good printhead and cartridge cleaner:
What ink did you use in that test, dye or pigment. ?

I thought beforehand that only pigment ink would precipitate when diluted in pure isopropanol but dye ink does it as well. I did a test similar to yours, diluting a few drops of pigment and dye yellow inks in pure isopropanol. See picture below. At left it’s pigment (for Canon PGI-2500 carts). At right dye (for Canon CLI-8 carts)
Both show clear sedimentation. albeit dye ink seems to precipitate at a lower rate and the particles aren’t so compact as pigment, which is to be expected.
leftpg-rigthdy.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Interesting experiments !

I am not a chemist, but as I understand these alcohols are added to ink to lower the surface tension (needed to for small droplets). I could imagine also that certain colorant molecules have a water soluble part and another that solves better in alcohol.
I never considered to clean a printhead with 100% alcohol.

But I once ruined a perfectly good printhead by rinsing it under the tap (demineralized water for ironing is cheap, but you must not have forgotten to buy it).

mandarcy

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip7250
Hello all, I'm new here. How would I know that the service mode is locked on a Canon ip7250 printer?
Thanks

Kind Regards

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
Hello all, I'm new here. How would I know that the service mode is locked on a Canon ip7250 printer?
Thanks

Kind Regards
The Printer would lock up when entering service mode even when the correct procedure is used.It also usually requires an extended period of being unplugged for the printer to turn back on again.